Amusing Article About Stealing a 914 Porsche

I had a 74 914 1.8.
It was an under powered but fun car. Handling was amazing for the narrow tires on it. The open top was really fun.

Hey, I like 914's 🙂. I don't poo-poo them for a moment... I like 'em so much that I have their engine-case and barrels (2.0 litre) in my VW van 😊. I might also add that the case-material, in the 914 and Type iv engined van, was superior to that in the 911 of the same time, that is to say until 1977 (Europe)/1978 America, when Porsche then started using the same aluminum alloy in widescale 911 production...

Last edited:
I had a 74 914 1.8.
It was an under powered but fun car. Handling was amazing for the narrow tires on it. The open top was really fun.
The 2.0 litre version had forged alloy wheels, not particularly wide, but light and strong. The 2 litre car also had Porsche-developed cylinder heads. They flowed 'way better than those in the bus, but they did apparently have some tendency to crack... Not sure how widespread that issue is. I think the 2 litre cars made 91 SAE net hp, and other than the uber rare 914/6 cars was the highest performance variant.

It is akin to hitting a bag of gears with a stick, hopefully finding one that works.

This guy's good. And in the footnotes, I see he was one of the original Miata designers. So presumably this guy does know a thing or two (clearly, he does).

Great read, thanks op.

I had a '72 914 that had been engine swapped with a 2.8 V6 from a Mercury Capri (the Cologne V6). It pulled pretty good and handled great. It had the tail shifter transmission, not the improved side shifter in later models, but after I replaced the bushings in the shift linkage it really wasn't that bad. It still had some slop but I never had problems hitting the gear I wanted. I upgraded the front brakes with BMW 3 series calipers so they worked well. I didn't have all the "quirks and features" mentioned in the article. It was a fun car.

Alas, I had the engine half way apart right before a hurricane hit so I couldn't move the car to higher ground and it was flooded with salt water. Kaput.

Back