Amsoil XL 5w-30 '07 Saturn Outlook 5k on oil 72k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow very interesting. This oil did very well in your application. Great additive package in this new XL oil, although I don't think that it could go the Amsoil rated 10,000 miles in your vehicle. But I would stick with it if I were you, and try another analysis to see if maybe TBN is higher next time with the warmer weather of springtime coming up. Which hopefully in your case would mean less remote starts.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Direct Injection.

The higher-performance versions of this engine are DI (think Caddy CTS)

Was this brand-new Amsoil XL?

The Traverse uses a DI version of this engine as well. So does the V6 Camaro, for that matter.

Yes it did appear to hold up pretty well especially how abused it was with super super could starts then overheating!!! On this oilchange I dumped their top grade oil in it. This the SSQOT 0w-30 so we'll see how well this does. No I don't plan to run it for a year or 25k miles either.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Direct Injection.

The Traverse uses a DI version of this engine as well. So does the V6 Camaro, for that matter.

All the Lambda vehicles (Outlook, Enclave, Acadia and Traverse) from MY 09 and beyond have the DI engine.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Originally Posted By: Brons2
Direct Injection.

All the Lambda vehicles (Outlook, Enclave, Acadia and Traverse) from MY 09 and beyond have the DI engine.

Yes you are correct. I previously thought the '07-'08 Saturns with the XR version had the DI engine but I guess not.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Unless the engine got seriously pig rich when it overheated, fuel dilution is too high for a non-DI. Wear doesn't look like it was bothered by the fuel which is a testament to the toughness of Amsoil.

And this give me hope that this same oil might be successful in the DI version of this engine.

We'll see. I only started carrying Amsoil because of the horror stories I hear on these vehicles!!!!

Is this the new SN/GF-5 XL?

I'm guessing it is, b/c of the Ca over 3,000ppm - before it was 2200-2400ppm.

Oil held grade well, but I'm disappointed by only 2.2 TBN after only 5k miles!

I've ran Amsoil OE for 7k with a higher TBN from my 98 Toyota Camry V6 with 200,000 miles.

Too many variable and conditions to say that an oil will perform the same in a variety of engines.

I plan to run the XL in my Camry to 10k and seeing how that looks. I'm tempted to run OE to 10k and then comparing it to XL at the same interval to determine just how much extra "boost" the XL line has over the OE

I'd rather see how XL in the Camry does at 10k compared to OE at 7k. More interesting trying to read between the lines that way.
smile.gif

Lol. I don't get it. I mean, if the OE at 10k has 2.0 TBN for example and the XL has 4.0 then that's the answer i'm looking for when comparing the two oils.

Explain to me how comparing the OE @ 7k vs the XL @ 10k will show anything significant other then a more worn out XL from the longer run.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Lol. I don't get it. I mean, if the OE at 10k has 2.0 TBN for example and the XL has 4.0 then that's the answer i'm looking for when comparing the two oils.

Explain to me how comparing the OE @ 7k vs the XL @ 10k will show anything significant other then a more worn out XL from the longer run.

Let's say the XL looks the same, at 10k, or better than the OE looks at 7k. The same is accomplished, just a different method, and you don't risk the OE running down by going to 10k. If the XL makes it barely, then you know you didn't risk unnecessary wear(OE not making it to 10k) for the purpose of research when you can make an educated deduction based on how XL performs in the same vehicle to 10k, compared to the OE run of 7k.

ok makes sense. I'll probably end up running the XL for 7k and comparing it to the OE @ 7k just to see how much better it has held up after the same interval and seeing if it can make it to 10k.

OE had a TBN of 2.3 after 7k in my Camry.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Originally Posted By: unDummy
Unless the engine got seriously pig rich when it overheated, fuel dilution is too high for a non-DI. Wear doesn't look like it was bothered by the fuel which is a testament to the toughness of Amsoil.

And this give me hope that this same oil might be successful in the DI version of this engine.

I don't think so. This is the nature of the beast that is GM's DI 3.6. I have not seen this problem is Mazda's DI engines. I have not seen enough info of Ford's DI engines to offer my 2 cents. I would not use any PCMO in this engine longer than 5K.

I'm with you Dave, with regard to DI engines, in fact I think 4K would be my limit until I saw enough data to convince me to increase it beyond that. This is not a bash on Amsoil either, they have a good reputation and some impressive UOA reports to back that up. The point is DI engines are a different animal. I would also rig my Inverse oiler up to a DI engine if I owned one, to see if it would help reduce deposits on the valves. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back