Amsoil SSO, 5000 KM's in...............

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't waste my time with UOA. I been using Amsoil since 1975 and I know it works.

The 2 vehicles in my signature are using the 0W-30 and its all I have used since 1996 when it came out. I have not put the new SSO in anything yet, still have 2 cases of the TSO which will last me till fall of 2009.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
Quote:
But it has been proven time and again (and even admitted to by Pablo and others on here) that their 0W-30 weights are just too thin for use in an LSx engine.

Baloney! 2002 Trans Am WS6 and the Amsoil 0W-30 was all I used in it for 4 yrs. Car ran perfect, never used any oil what so ever and the engine was not noisy like many are. I out the oil in right away with less the 2000 miles on the engine.

You are most definitely in what I would call a "northern clime" as stated in my original post.
I have NO doubts at all that it was perfectly fine in your LSx.
Yes, I know that it can get hot there in the middle of the summer, but the duration/severity of your heat is NOT like the many Texans with LSxes who beat the [censored] out of/race them in the middle of their summer!!

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Not sure why your engine idles faster; idle speed is controlled by the computer, and should always be to a set value. You may want to get it checked out...

Not in 'open loop' mode when it's started cold...

Dave

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Originally Posted By: littletank

The "old" Series 2000 0w30 (TSO) was on the thin side for a 30w oil, however, it did and is still holding up well in my turboed Subaru. Comsumption is only about .5 quarts in 15,000 miles on a turboed car which is great.

shocked2.gif
Do you happen to have any UOA's on the TSO? I'm also curious about the SSO.

cheers3.gif

-Dennis

Unfortunitally I do not. I have been going on past expierence with this product and not to exceeding the recomendations of Amsoil.
11.gif

Last edited:
dailydriver

I never once drove my car in the winter, it was in storage from Nov 1 to May 1. Also, I never smoked the tires or redlined it, I am not that kind of driver. In the 4 yrs I had the car from new, it had no warranty work done, nothing went wrong.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I'm roughly at the same mark on my first run of SSO.

I've never had a 30 so quiet in my Volvo. And the engine does rev freely, plus zero consumption. My original plan was not to change my oil again.....I'm committed, or rather I should be.....but maybe after a year, I'll get..........urges.

15K Km's shouldn't be an issue unless the engine was unclean to start with.

I have a 2002 Mustang GT and I use the ASM 0W-20 with 20K drain intervals(and yes it will bury the speedo (150 mph) and I do drive it like I stole it), I have tossed around the idea of going to the 0W-30 as the mileage is not getting in lower. Any thoughts on this as Ford specs 5W-20???

Originally Posted By: Jeff70
I have a 2002 Mustang GT and I use the ASM 0W-20 with 20K drain intervals(and yes it will bury the speedo (150 mph) and I do drive it like I stole it), I have tossed around the idea of going to the 0W-30 as the mileage is not getting in lower. Any thoughts on this as Ford specs 5W-20???

Amsoil recommends SSO in many 5W-20 applications. I would give it a shot.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Jeff70

Amsoil recommends SSO in many 5W-20 applications. I would give it a shot.

I think SSO would work well in a Mustang. it's only 1.3 cSt thicker at 150c. However, the 0w20 is probably all you need.

Originally Posted By: buster

I think SSO would work well in a Mustang. it's only 1.3 cSt thicker at 150c. However, the 0w20 is probably all you need.

Only reason I was thinking about it was because she's starting to get miles and with miles comes wear no matter what oil you use. So going to a higher viscosity was just a thought out loud.

I'd use it Jeff, especially if you do extended drains and it sounds like you do.
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah Buster I was using the ASL 5-30 until Amsoil came out with the 0-20. I always tossed aroung the TSO but thought it was too expensive. Now the SSO is out and I'm a bit more educated about oils, and the fact that I'm a dealer helps. I have been tossing around the idea of relocating the battery to the trunk so I can mount a pre-oiler bypass kit where the battery was, so I can just put the SSO in, use UOA and change it when they say it needs to be changed(Of course I will follow the OCI for the filters). I like technology and get quite enough wrench turning @ work to satisfy the mechanic in me, as I have been an acft mechanic for 18 years now...so extended drain intervals are a dream....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
dailydriver

I never once drove my car in the winter, it was in storage from Nov 1 to May 1. Also, I never smoked the tires or redlined it, I am not that kind of driver. In the 4 yrs I had the car from new, it had no warranty work done, nothing went wrong.

Fair enough.
But I (and others with LSx f/y bodies) DO 'drive them like we stole them', open track, drag race, autocross, open road race them, year 'round, even in winter.
The concensus among these people (including most LSx engine builders) is that thicker cSt oil is needed with those driving styles/uses.
This is with all due respect to Dr. Haas, and the other 'thinnies' on here. They DO NOT own/drive/build the engines on these cars. I tend to trust the opinions those that do, over the opinions of those who can only speculate (EVEN with UOAs) as to what these engines need.
Fair enough??

BTW; contrary to what most on here would believe (you GM/domestic bashers/lambasters know who you are, and I truely do not care whether you believe me or not) even with >100K on the clock, and driven extremely hard, year 'round for 8 years straight, I have had the same exact results that you mentioned above ^^^.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back