Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: **** in Falls Church

Quote:
Sounds like another person who read the White Papers gear oil testing results? If that is correct please be advised that those tests were commissioned, conducted, and reported on by Amsoil. The results being 100% accurate are highly questionable.

Take what you read with a big grain of salt IMHO and most of all remember it was done by Amsoil. It was not done by some independant lab or group testing gear oils on their own initiative. Amsoil claims an independant lab did the testing yet I have read many things contesting that as fully truthful. Not saying the results are 100% false either just understand who did it and factor that into your decision. This was not a fully independant test. Amsoil was behind it and had a big part in it. unquote

I'd be very interested to learn where you found someone (qualified) contesting the results. Sure glad that you don't claim the results were 100% false--maybe you think 3.5% false? or 4.87%? I haven't seen any of the competition companies advertise that the tests were invalid, skewed, or false. Far as I know, none of them have sued AMSOIL for false advertising.

Gee, do you suppose that maybe the claims might be true? Nah, it's AMSOIL, only been around for about 35 years now.

I compared the published data available at the time the WP's came out from the gear oil mfg's on their products( when I could find it )to what Amsoil reported in the WP's. I specifically compared the WP results to the data published by RP on their oil. There were many glaring issues between the two side's reported data including one test that was so far off the charts bad for RP as to be ludicrous to think it would actually test that far out of spec. I found similar issues when I looked at some of the other mfg's claimed data vs what Amsoil said in the WP's although I can not back that up as I did not do the in depth comparison I did with RP( info below ).

Amsoil has a history with claims made about their own products and those of other mfg's that are not always accurate. I am not going to get into a big pee'ing contest over this AGAIN. I have a right to disbelieve those tests or at least hold them highly suspect based on what I have seen over the years from that company. The info they came up with is very different than what the other mfg's posted about their products at that time and IMO people should be aware of that rather than just taking the WP's as gospel. You certainly can believe Amsoil if you wish. How long they have been around is irrelevant and the fact they have not been sued for the WP's is too. If everytime one oil company made a questionable claim about another they would spend all their time suing each other.

Here are the issues I researched and posted about back when there was a huge WP thread here. I will post only the relevant test data comparisons not my entire post as it was very long. I am going to try and leave it at that so this thread doesn't take off into a kids bickering match about Amsoil which was never my intent. However, I want to point out to you that I have some facts behind my comments about not accepting the WP's as your only source for gear oil decisions. There are issues with the accuracy of the results if you give the oil mfg's any credit for their testing...

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
On the ASTM D-2270 Viscosity test both Amsoil & RP = 165( high # is good )

I don't know enough about the J306 test to comment on what it means and RP does not provide enough data to compare it to what Amsoil claims. That one you have to just go by what Amsoil says. They say RP failed. I am going to contact RP and see what they say when I have time. ( UPDATE - I never did ask so no rebutal to Amsoil's claims )

On the low-temperature viscosity/Brookfield Viscosity Test (ASTM D-2983)There is a MAJOR difference between what Amsoil claims and what RP claims = Using RP's #'s they actually do better than Amsoil. SAE 75W must be less than 150,000 cP at -40°C (-40°F). Amsoil comes in at 68,150 and claims a ridiculously bad 389,500 for RP. RP claims a 59,911.

Amsoil then makes this statement...

Originally Posted By: "Amsoil"
Royal Purple and Lucas failed the cold-temperature Brookfield requirements for 75W gear
lubes, as well as the high-temperature requirements for SAE 90 gear lubes, effectively disqualifying them entirely from the SAE 75W-90 category. Royal Purple Max-Gear, having also failed the Shear Stability Test, was the only gear lube to fail every parameter of the SAE J306 requirements

I say Bull. I can't contradict the J306 test because RP doesn't give the data but they did better than Amsoil in the Broofield test if you accept theit test data over Amsoil's.

In the standard pour point test method(ASTM D-97)Amsoil claims a -37 pour point for RP when RP claims a -40. They claim a lower pour point for their product of -50. They then go on to say...

Originally Posted By: "Amsoil
It is important to have a low pour point combined with a low Brookfield viscosity value since it is possible to have a good low pour point but only a marginal Brookfield viscosity. Castrol SYNTEC is a good example of this. SYNTEC had the best pour point of the gear lubes tested, but a borderline Brookfield viscosity pass at 149,850 cP. Lucas 75/90 Synthetic, on the other hand, did not perform well in either area. It showed a pour point of -37°C (-35°F) and a Brookfield viscosity of greater than 2,000,000 cP. AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W-90 and Torco SGO Synthetic had the best combined Brookfield and pour point scores.

I would say that is false because they have the completely outrageous 300K Brookfield test data on RP. I highly question the accuracy of that test result. When you factor in RP's claimed 59,911 Brookfield teste result( which was lower than Amsoil )and a respectable -40 pour point test( again their test data better than Amsoils claim ), I would say RP was right there with them in this test.

Can't comment on the Oxidation testing as that data is not available on RP's site.

Next 4 are all related( (2)ASTM D-2783, ASTM D-3233, ASTM D-4172 ).

1) - 4 ball EP weld point. RP has the same test results in both data sheets( 400 )which is the same as the Amsoil.

2) - 4 ball EP load-wear index. RP tests low according to Amsoil. No data from RP to compare to.

3) - falex extreme pressure test. RP tested the same as the dino 80W-90's( according to Amsoil ).

4) - 4 ball wear test. RP just below Amsoil. No RP data to compare.

* - so RP performs at the top in 2 but only slightly better or as good as 80W-90 dino on the others? Does anyone else find that hard to believe?

In the Copper Corrosion (ASTM D-130) test Amsoil claims RP fails the GL-5 portion but doesn't test on the MIL( ?? ). RP says they pass the copper corrosion test.

They even try to use Price as a test case in this paper. 1st of all pricing is very different depending on where you buy it. They have RP listed at $13.95 and their product at $11.75. What a JOKE! You can get RP MaxGear anywhere for $9.

None of this is to say anything negative about Amsoil gear oils either. Excellent products!I am just trying to say don't take the WP's as the holy bible of gear oil's and believe everything contained in them to be 100% accurate.

Last edited:
I'm not a chemist and I'm not a lubrication expert, although I know enough about lubrication to be dangerous, but I know this much. By the time somebody, whether it is Amsoil or an independant lab, gets done testing all of the lubricants available within a certain category and class, most and if not all of the lube manufactureres will have changed their formulations by the time the data is posted. NHHEMI, you're absolutely; I did get this information from the Amsoil white papers, but I put out there for the purpose of discussion. I use this forum as a tool to figure out which lube manufacturers might be putting out a sub-par product. The motor oil forums are great because there are several people over there that are testing constantly and I was hoping to to find the same over here. Lube is very Ford and Chevy, most are good, but good marketing tends to win the day whether we agree with it or not. Amsoil has done that in the boutique synthithic lube market, but they do make a good product and they make it very easy to buy.

To be clear Redline didnt fail when things "got hot". Read the white paper "expert". If you believe everything that amsoil claims, use their product. Simple as that. Redline like many others, makes a great product. It's not the best for every apllication no doubt, but neither is amsoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple.... If you had any real knowledge of the subject you would know that Redline and Mobil 1 are used quite heavily in many motorsports applications. To make it clear I am talking about off the shelf gear oils. These are cars that dont even run logos, yet seem to have zero issues with RL and Mobils gear oils.

But I guess if amsoil says a product is, as you say "substandard" then it must be
smirk.gif
Do your homework in the future. The next thing will be "UOA's have lead me to the greatest motor oil with the least wear!".And to be clear, I dont hate amsoil one bit, I just dont care for some of their marketing. They make a great lube, but they were not the first in synthetics, and are not always the best.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Matchlight
Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Do your homework in the future.

Thanks for the tip. Homework, that is exactly what I am trying to accomplish in using this forum.

What you will quickly learn here is that people have their favorite oils and will defend them just as strongly as the people who actually sell the oil. (Sometimes more so!) Their defenses kick in particularly if they happen to be users of and of course strong "believers" in, that product. It's human nature, BITOG is not somehow immune to this. I'm not saying this is bad, or that they hate other products, but this must always be taken into account.

As for the white paper, it's aging a bit as I have stated before. I have talked to the main person and several people involved with test. Anyone who says the results are fake or dry labbed or whatever, just pretty much doesn't know what they are talking about and should immediately be asked for proof. Amsoil freely admits they did not go get new bottles, or try a new purchase when the results came up - but they did send the samples to other labs. The same results or in some cases worse. It certainly does not indict the lube as designed, but more like a problem with as built, as blended so to speak. If you have to attack Amsoil for this, then I really must wonder what you are thinking or what your motivations are.

I have to agree with everything Pablo says. There is very little to no oversight in the gear oil industry, so I applaud AMSOIL for doing the study. It doesn't surprise me that so many did poorly. "Trust, but verify" is the only approach I'll take with any gear oil manufacturer.

If you want to know how hosed up the market/industry is, then read this article:

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001803047.cfm

Originally Posted By: Pablo

What you will quickly learn here is that people have their favorite oils and will defend them just as strongly as the people who actually sell the oil. (Sometimes more so!) Their defenses kick in particularly if they happen to be users of and of course strong "believers" in, that product. It's human nature, BITOG is not somehow immune to this. I'm not saying this is bad, or that they hate other products, but this must always be taken into account.

As for the white paper, it's aging a bit as I have stated before. I have talked to the main person and several people involved with test. Anyone who says the results are fake or dry labbed or whatever, just pretty much doesn't know what they are talking about and should immediately be asked for proof. Amsoil freely admits they did not go get new bottles, or try a new purchase when the results came up - but they did send the samples to other labs. The same results or in some cases worse. It certainly does not indict the lube as designed, but more like a problem with as built, as blended so to speak. If you have to attack Amsoil for this, then I really must wonder what you are thinking or what your motivations are.

Dude, come on. Are you serious here?
crackmeup2.gif

I always find it funny when you post these types of responses. You are a good guy and I am not trying to start anything with you AT ALL! I value your input as a rule here a lot. However, I can not help but chuckle when you do this when negative Amsoil posts pop up. You yourself have your favorite brand that you promote and blindly believe in and you sell it to boot. Hello Mr. Kettle...
grin.gif
I think anyone reading what you post in defense of Amsoil and/or the WP's should "take into account" your clear bias too. Would you not agree?

I have to ask as well, who said here in this thread that the test results were faked or dry labeled? That is you putting words in other's mouths. Unless someone came out and specifically said I think they lied or purposely falsified the results you should not imply that. Saying I don't believe those results are 100% accurate does not mean I think they deliberately lied. You can pretty much make any test you want come out the way you want to give you marketing material. All mfg's and I am sure even RP do that.

To be honest I can't explain how RP( or the other mfg's I looked up the data from )got one set of results and Amsoil got such different results. However, in the case of the WP's you have one source, Amsoil, saying all these other mfg's have bad/false/erroneous data posted on their products but they have the real data. I really don't know who's data is the correct data? I do know who I would be more likely too believe based on how the company behind the product has conducted themselves and what their reputation is. I can't test the stuff myself so I can only go by reputation to decide who to believe. For me Amsoil loses out there especially when it is them against so many others.

I have said I believe the WP's are not 100% accurate and I stand by that based on what info I can actually use to form an opinion. I posted test data from RP on their gear oil that showed different results than they did in the WP's so there is your proof or at least a reasonable basis for my questioning the results. I am not saying everything Amsoil says( pick any product )is wrong and inaccurate at all BUT they have made some questionable and incorrect claims in the past so to take everything they say at face value isn't a good idea IMO.

It seems as if you want us to believe the Amsoil test results in the WP's and totally disbelieve the results from the other mfg's that contradict the WP's. Why should I believe Amsoil over one of the other mfg's? Can you provide me any proof showing the test results done by RP, Lucas, Mobil 1, etc... were flawed so that their results should be ignored and the WP's accepted? What basis or proof do you have that would make us all believe only Amsoil's results over the other mfg's?

I am no blind follower of any product. I do however stay with something I have used with success. Why wouldn't I? Do you not do the same with Amsoil products? I routinely recommend other brands including Amsoil however so I can not be accused of only defending/recommending one brand. Sorry but that is not how I conduct myself. I am no blind follower. Amsoil has made their own bed as far as their reputation goes and that is one factor in why so many, including myself, question what they say. Has nothing to do with their products themselves.

You know, you do the same thing when it comes to Amsoil you accuse the rest of us over with our favorite brands. I don't recall ever seeing you question a single thing from Amsoil. Not what they say about their own products nor about the competition( if I am wrong I apologize - just can't recall it ). I have spoken against RP a few times at least. You are just as bias as any of us and to me it is worse as you sell it.
grin.gif

I have never seen you personally trash another brand so I am not saying that either. I think overall you are a good guy as said and pretty much you are a straight shooter. I just find it funny some of the things you say about those who question Amsoil's claims at times. You are as predictable defending Amsoil as I am RP.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
I have to agree with everything Pablo says. There is very little to no oversight in the gear oil industry, so I applaud AMSOIL for doing the study. It doesn't surprise me that so many did poorly. "Trust, but verify" is the only approach I'll take with any gear oil manufacturer.

If you want to know how hosed up the market/industry is, then read this article:

What is it about Amsoil's WP test data, or the company itself, that makes you believe it/them over what other mfg's post on their products? Seriously and not starting anything. I am curious what you base your faith in the WP's and/or Amsoil on? You "appluad Amsoil" and are "not surprised so many did poorly" then talk about how badly the industry is screwed up.

I am really confused by your post??? What did Amsoil do different than any one else in the industry in those WP tests that makes them "verifiable" and the results trustworthy for you?

Last edited:

Dude, come on. Are you serious here?
crackmeup2.gif

I always find it funny when you post these types of responses. You are a good guy and I am not trying to start anything with you AT ALL! I value your input as a rule here a lot. However, I can not help but chuckle when you do this when negative Amsoil posts pop up. You yourself have your favorite brand that you promote and blindly believe in and you sell it to boot. Hello Mr. Kettle...
grin.gif
I think anyone reading what you post in defense of Amsoil and/or the WP's should "take into account" your clear bias too. Would you not agree?

I'm perfectly serious. Of course I have a bias. I never said I didn't Isn't that why I wrote this?

What you will quickly learn here is that people have their favorite oils and will defend them just as strongly as the people who actually sell the oil.

I have to ask as well, who said here in this thread that the test results were faked or dry labeled? That is you putting words in other's mouths. Unless someone came out and specifically said I think they lied or purposely falsified the results you should not imply that. Saying I don't believe those results are 100% accurate does not mean I think they deliberately lied. You can pretty much make any test you want come out the way you want to give you marketing material. All mfg's and I am sure even RP do that.

To be honest I can't explain how RP( or the other mfg's I looked up the data from )got one set of results and Amsoil got such different results. However, in the case of the WP's you have one source, Amsoil, saying all these other mfg's have bad/false/erroneous data posted on their products but they have the real data. I really don't know who's data is the correct data? I do know who I would be more likely too believe based on how the company behind the product has conducted themselves and what their reputation is. I can't test the stuff myself so I can only go by reputation to decide who to believe. For me Amsoil loses out there especially when it is them against so many others.

I have said I believe the WP's are not 100% accurate and I stand by that based on what info I can actually use to form an opinion. I posted test data from RP on their gear oil that showed different results than they did in the WP's so there is your proof or at least a reasonable basis for my questioning the results. I am not saying everything Amsoil says( pick any product )is wrong and inaccurate at all BUT they have made some questionable and incorrect claims in the past so to take everything they say at face value isn't a good idea IMO.

It seems as if you want us to believe the Amsoil test results in the WP's and totally disbelieve the results from the other mfg's that contradict the WP's. Why should I believe Amsoil over one of the other mfg's? Can you provide me any proof showing the test results done by RP, Lucas, Mobil 1, etc... were flawed so that their results should be ignored and the WP's accepted? What basis or proof do you have that would make us all believe only Amsoil's results over the other mfg's?

I am no blind follower of any product. I do however stay with something I have used with success. Why wouldn't I? Do you not do the same with Amsoil products? I routinely recommend other brands including Amsoil however so I can not be accused of only defending/recommending one brand. Sorry but that is not how I conduct myself. I am no blind follower. Amsoil has made their own bed as far as their reputation goes and that is one factor in why so many, including myself, question what they say. Has nothing to do with their products themselves.

You know, you do the same thing when it comes to Amsoil you accuse the rest of us over with our favorite brands. I don't recall ever seeing you question a single thing from Amsoil. Not what they say about their own products nor about the competition( if I am wrong I apologize - just can't recall it ). I have spoken against RP a few times at least. You are just as bias as any of us and to me it is worse as you sell it.
grin.gif

I have never seen you personally trash another brand so I am not saying that either. I think overall you are a good guy as said and pretty much you are a straight shooter. I just find it funny some of the things you say about those who question Amsoil's claims at times. You are as predictable defending Amsoil as I am RP.
11.gif

My post wasn't addressed to you. I never quoted, said or implied you said anything. I'll try to answer your question in the middle, or rather I thought I had in my post - the differences could be a batch error, but I have no concrete answer either way.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Fair enough. Just seems like a lot of that was sent my way.
wink.gif

Merry Christmas to you as well.

What is it about Amsoil's WP test data, or the company itself, that makes you believe it/them over what other mfg's post on their products? Seriously and not starting anything. I am curious what you base your faith in the WP's and/or Amsoil on? You "appluad Amsoil" and are "not surprised so many did poorly" then talk about how badly the industry is screwed up.

I am really confused by your post??? What did Amsoil do different than any one else in the industry in those WP tests that makes them "verifiable" and the results trustworthy for you?

Sorry to confuse you. My intent was to point out that the gear oil industry is in a state of confusion right now, and probably has been for a long time. I applaud the AMSOIL WP for explaining J306 changes and also illustrating what can happen to products on the market without any oversight by a controlling authority (API). Do I agree with everything written in the article? No. Do I think they lied? No. Did they cherry pick? Maybe. Did they test the gear oils I use? No (disappointed). Do I think the WP was a wake-up call for the industry? I hope so. At least AMSOIL seems to be re-formulating and trying to improve their gear oils.

When I said "trust, but verify", it was in reference to how Ronald Reagan used to deal with the Soviet Union. Without oversight, the agreements are only words. That's exactly how I feel about oil companies and their published data sheets. Do whatever you can to verify their claims, because nobody else is helping you do that, except AMSOIL it appears. If there is something else out there, I'd love to see it.

Amsoil freely admits they did not go get new bottles, or try a new purchase when the results came up - but they did send the samples to other labs. The same results or in some cases worse. It certainly does not indict the lube as designed, but more like a problem with as built, as blended so to speak.

The part in bold highlights what INDYMAC said. Trust but verify. Everyone who makes oil is responsible for each and every bottle they ship out. If they ship out a few filled with something that slipped by QC and does not met the company's published specs, and those just happen to be the bottles Amsoil purchased, so be it. C'est La Vie! Rather there than in my diff!

On the other hand, one has to realize the glee that must have been felt by Amsoil at those results... no way were they going to pass up a "gotcha" opportunity like that. Still, one also has to realize that if the Amsoil product had tested that poorly, you can bet they'd have grabbed another bottle to test.

Well, this is the world of sales. The report is great but it's far from "objective." True objectivity would have dictated getting a few more bottles to test and showing both the failed oil and the oil that lived up to it's specs. I guess you'd have to add, "ASSUMING ANY OF THE OIL LIVED UP TO THAT SPEC." Had I been doing the test, that's what I would have done. By showing the competitor ships out substandard oil and showing it at it's best, I could have tossed the competitor under the bus and been fair too. If I bought a a bunch from different batches and they all failed, well, so much the better for me. I'd make sure everyone knew I tested 12 bottles bought from different locations and from different batches and they ALL failed. A fair GOTCHA. Nobody can gripe.

Last edited:
Very well said Jim.....excellent post really. As a biased bum that I am, I would like to add something....

Quote:
Still, one also has to realize that if the Amsoil product had tested that poorly, you can bet they'd have grabbed another bottle to test.....but before that there would have been a whole lot of stritchen', 'itchin', thinkin' and action (SBTA) on what the heck went wrong with that initially chosen batch!!!!

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Amsoil freely admits they did not go get new bottles, or try a new purchase when the results came up - but they did send the samples to other labs. The same results or in some cases worse. It certainly does not indict the lube as designed, but more like a problem with as built, as blended so to speak.

The part in bold highlights what INDYMAC said. Trust but verify. Everyone who makes oil is responsible for each and every bottle they ship out. If they ship out a few filled with something that slipped by QC and does not met the company's published specs, and those just happen to be the bottles Amsoil purchased, so be it. C'est La Vie! Rather there than in my diff!

On the other hand, one has to realize the glee that must have been felt by Amsoil at those results... no way were they going to pass up a "gotcha" opportunity like that. Still, one also has to realize that if the Amsoil product had tested that poorly, you can bet they'd have grabbed another bottle to test.

Well, this is the world of sales. The report is great but it's far from "objective." True objectivity would have dictated getting a few more bottles to test and showing both the failed oil and the oil that lived up to it's specs. I guess you'd have to add, "ASSUMING ANY OF THE OIL LIVED UP TO THAT SPEC." Had I been doing the test, that's what I would have done. By showing the competitor ships out substandard oil and showing it at it's best, I could have tossed the competitor under the bus and been fair too. If I bought a a bunch from different batches and they all failed, well, so much the better for me. I'd make sure everyone knew I tested 12 bottles bought from different locations and from different batches and they ALL failed. A fair GOTCHA. Nobody can gripe.

That explains my concerns and doubts about the results very well and does explain how the results can be so different. Said far better than I did.

Anything that has to do with the oil industry should be taken with a grain of salt. Nice comments Jim, well said.

Very well said Jim.....excellent post really. As a biased bum that I am, I would like to add something....

Quote:
Still, one also has to realize that if the Amsoil product had tested that poorly, you can bet they'd have grabbed another bottle to test.....but before that there would have been a whole lot of stritchen', 'itchin', thinkin' and action (SBTA) on what the heck went wrong with that initially chosen batch!!!!

Yeah, and hopefully the same thing happened with those companies that showed so poorly. If you think about it, the odds are that there had to be a bunch of bum oil on the market. Oil is made up in large batches to be bottled, so it had to be a fairly large amount of oil that made it out of the facility. I'm stretching my knowledge of the blending/bottling process but it seems to me it couldn't be just a few bottles... though I don't know how large or small the batches generally are. The thought of that is kinda scary. But then, how many thousands of gallons did WalMart sell of that bum gear oil?

I'd be willing to bet that this happens a fair bit in large production operations. More than we "perfect world" BITOGer would like. It might get caught at some point and the oil quietly recalled. In many ordinary situations, it might not be enough out of spec to matter much, so nobody is the wiser. And if something fails here or there as a result, it might be tough to determine the true cause.

I think you might be onto something here Jim. By "burn oil", do you mean "rinse oil" that the companies use to clean their tanks and plumbing for the next batch of oil to be blended?

Of course. The only company that I am familiar with is in my avatar - but I have to think any company worth it's salt has good lab and good system of control for all phases, including raw materials, in process control, great sampling and line cleanliness, detailed procedures.......we are inching close to the how good are the labs topic...................(screams and runs
shocked.gif
27.gif
)

I think you might be onto something here Jim. By "burn oil", do you mean "rinse oil" that the companies use to clean their tanks and plumbing for the next batch of oil to be blended?

Hey Indy... it's "bum" oil B-U-M, as in "NFG"

Anyway, who know what exactly happened. The base oil, the add pack, who knows, somthin' was wrong.

Pablo, I have no more blind faith than you do. I use many other products besides RL. I use and have used Amsoil many times and don't have some kind of agenda. To be clear I never stated the results of the white paper were "fake". I hope you are not trying to put words in my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back