Amsoil Question???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is not licensed as such, but would Amsoil 5w-30 exceed the ILSAC GF-5 specification if they wanted to licensed it as such? I understand the licensing of the GF-5 standard started this month of Oct. 2010.

Which leads me to another question. Would a Group III base stock oil with a GF-5 specification be better than a Group IV base stock oil with only a GF-4 specification for a 2009 16-valve, 2.5-liter QR25DE engine or any engine for that matter?

I'm planning long OCI's

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Amsoil's XL line (least recommended OCI of their oils) has just been reformulated and it specifically references use for oils that need to meet GF-5, if that puts perspective on your question.

I do not think you would ever notice a difference between the ratings if Amsoil is used. Back in the middle 90s I met a guy with almost 500,000 miles on a Nissan 4 cyl p/u running Amsoil oil for 25,000 miles and changing the Amsoil oil filter at 12,500 miles and using an Amsoil foam air filter . I do not use Amsoil but I have met many Amsoil users that have had great results with extended oil change intervals. I do not put the miles on my vehicles to benefit from Amsoils extended oil change intervals

Being in the engine business and dealing with a lot of courier drivers and construction trucks (mostly fords)i see a lot of 4.6 v8 ford engines with 400,000 500,000 and more in some cases coming in for rebuilds (these guys run these things a lot longer than the taxi and limo guys and most run on dino..Some engines run forever like the "old" toyota's and nissan's the new ones are another story.

If price is no object, I'd run one of the GF-4 PAO based Amsoils (ASL or SSO) over any common GF-5 group III anything. In my experience, those oils behave differently that any other oils I've tried (though I certainly haven't tried everything). I've run them in several cars and they stand up exceptionally well over time and mileage, clean sludge, varnish, you name it. But, it comes at a cost and sometimes it's worth it, sometimes not. And, sometimes, Amsoil does "too good" a job and exposes tired old gaskets that you'd rather have gummed up with dino and lesser syns...

I just want to mention price was no object (of course I paid a premium price/impulse buy) and availability was easy since I found Amsoil at my local hardware store unexpectedly last July. I was researching oils before the 2 free dealership changes completed and preparing ahead of time for DIY oil change. My actual first choice was Pennzoil Ultra which I chose over Castrol Edge.

Now I am in the process of cleaning my engine with the Ultra on my 2009 engine after 2 OCI's with Vavoline Durablend 5W-30.

I just want to make sure that using my Amsoil stash is more BENEFICIAL than just continuing the Pennzoil Ultra treatment.

Using a long OCI with a bosch distance plus filter.

Thanks for the good answers so far.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back