Not open for further replies.
Vehicle:
2007 Honda Civic Si

Oil:
Amsoil ASL 5W30

Oil additives:
None

Make up oil added:
Was adding oil every week, topping off every 1,000 miles. (no oil added after topping off @ 2k.)

Engine oil capacity:
5.3 quarts

Oil filter:
Amsoil Ea15k13

Air filter:
NAPA Gold OEM replacement (unchanged since the last OCI)

Miles on vehicle:

Its only been in service for a month and went through a lot of highway cruising with the occasional top speed run...
Driven very hard daily!

I'm not surprised by the shearing. It seems i just have the ability to beat up oil with my aggressive driving style (and the extra 40hp+ this engine is now making over stock thanks to a few modifications and ECU tuning)

The next oil i'm trying is Redline 5w30
Hoping it will withstand the heat a bit better or else i'll be looking into a slightly thicker weight. Maybe Mobil 1 0w40 to keep the oil at nice thick 30 weight during the upcoming summer.

Blackstone's comment about my short intervals made my day.
lol.gif

Lets not forget i am recycling this oil for further use in another engine.

SiUOA2979.jpg

Code:
OIL ----------Amsoil 5w30------ / M1 0w30

MILES IN USE 2.9k 2.9k 3k 2.5k

MILES 91.1k 88.2k 85.3k 52k

SAMPLE TAKEN 4/20/11 3/2/11 1/31/11 1/15/10

Make up oil 1qt 3/4qt 1qt 1qt

ALUMINUM 2 2 1 2

CHROMIUM 0 0 0 0

IRON 3 3 5 4

COPPER 1 1 0 0

LEAD 0 0 0 1

TIN 3 4 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 54 62 42 104

NICKEL 0 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0 0

SILVER 0 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0 0

POTASSIUM 0 0 4

BORON 216 244 229 77

SILICON 9 12 8 5

SODIUM 5 10 35 4

CALCIUM 3180 3488 3277 2461

MAGNESIUM 12 13 12 11

PHOSPHORUS 652 710 690 680

ZINC 689 804 768 775

BARIUM 0 0 0 0

INSOLUBLES 0.3 0.3 0.2 0.2

WATER 0 0 0 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 390 430 380 400

SUS VIS 210ºF 55.3 59.6 56.6 55.3

cSt @ 100ºC 8.85 10.11 9.23 8.87

TBN 9.6 7.3 10.1 2.7

TAN 3.0 2.2 1.9

ISO Code 14/13/10 - 15/14/11

The wear metals are almost nonexistent, the oil isn't contaminated, plenty of alkalinity remains...do as you wish, but I think this oil is doing a fine job and you could easily double the drain interval.

Hey Artem!

I agree, looks great and a little shearing is understandable with your "spirited" driving.
grin.gif

Curious what adding a quart or two mix of Rotella 5-40 Syn would look like - bet that would take of take care of it... It would bump up your Zinc also. Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
The wear metals are almost nonexistent, the oil isn't contaminated, plenty of alkalinity remains...do as you wish, but I think this oil is doing a fine job and you could easily double the drain interval.

I agree that there is plenty of life left in the oil at this point. Its good to know that if needed, the oil will be able to last much longer but at this point, i want to keep the wear metals almost nonexistent...

Remember, this oil is being reused in another vehicle, so it doesn't go to waste.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Hey Artem!

I agree, looks great and a little shearing is understandable with your "spirited" driving.
grin.gif

Curious what adding a quart or two mix of Rotella 5-40 Syn would look like - bet that would take of take care of it... It would bump up your Zinc also. Thoughts?

I'm not a fan of mixing different brands to make custom blends.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
5.3qts of oil for a tiny little engine.

Nice sentence. I agree that 5qts is a lot for a 2.0L engine but it does rev to 8,600 RPM and therefor needs as much oil as possible.

l_5e4ecba6b3c93d41320eef3ad828bd4f.jpg

^back in the younger days.

Artem- Years ago I mentioned using used oil in another vehicle and got flamed. Actually its a good idea, especially when its coming out of a pristine engine with little use. I'll be changing my Jeep's oil within the next day or so. 6 month oil changes to keep the Jeep people happy.

I plan on emptying it in a clean container and using it for make up oil in my Aerostar. I plan on reusing the filter in the Aerostar too. It's nice that I have a beater and a good vehicle that use the same filter. This will be a first for me. We plan on getting rid of the Aerostar at some point so why not?

Years ago I gave the waste oil from my Vans to my neighbor who had a Chevy van that used a qt of oil every 200 miles I think. He couldn't afford to fix or replace it. He saved money and I recycled oil, win win.

^good stuff and makes sense from my point of view.

Here are 2 UOA thread i made on the recycled oil that came outta my Si.

96 Accord 2.2L

2004 Accord 2.4L

As you can see, with minimal top off added (seeing as the oil drained from the Si has a high TBN due to constant top offs) the oils lasted every further during this extended use, just as B_S said it would.

Both of these cars are still using the recycled oil from my Si and are now running it even further (i doubt i'll do more UOA of those cars because i see no reason to pay for UOAs when i'm perfectly fine squeezing another 4-5k out of the used oil from my car and don't want to push it TOO far, so no need to extend much past 6-8k total on the oil)

^I too am thinking about using the oil in the Camry for maybe another 3k and sample again. Haha. but at the same time, i want to keep up with the good maintenance on the Camry to monitor the slight bearing wear i have going... we'll see.
grin2.gif

Two things come to mind here. One is if there is any truth to oil working better as it becomes "seasoned" with use, then we're doing a good thing. The second thing is with costs being what they are, why not recycle good oil into an old engine? LOL I'm going to be using the used filter from my Jeep on my Aerostar, as well as the oil I drained today for top up oil in it. LOL

I reuse the Amsoil oil filters as well. They are made well with a thick gasket so oil leaks aren't an issue. Those UOA of the recycled oil i posted both wore a reused oil filter as well.

Since its only 6-8k total i think any oil filter will hold up to that interval, let alone one with a high quality filter media.

Hey why not give the Amsoil filter another job! This time around the Jeep had an M1 fliter on it, which will be a treat for the Aerostar. LOL

Although that is what the manual says, i'm able to drain out more oil with my oil change technique and as a result, it takes me up to 5.5q to fill the block up near the top dot on the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Although that is what the manual says, i'm able to drain out more oil with my oil change technique and as a result, it takes me up to 5.5q to fill the block up near the top dot on the dipstick.

Say wuh? Teach me your ways!
grin2.gif

Seriously, what method is this, hmm Artem?
36.gif

PS: Stick with what you are doing, oh and it's a funny thing I got the new AZO 0w-30 but instead of the newer oil filters I'm "stuck" with an EaO20.
thumbsup2.gif

20.gif

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Say wuh? Teach me your ways!
grin2.gif

Seriously, what method is this, hmm Artem?
36.gif

PS: Stick with what you are doing, oh and it's a funny thing I got the new AZO 0w-30 but instead of the newer oil filters I'm "stuck" with an EaO20.
thumbsup2.gif

Lol
grin2.gif
Its a secret that i'm taking to the grave. haha.

Nah seriously, my driveway has a slight incline. Seeing as the oil drain hole is located in the corner of the oil pan, i tilt the car in a way that more oil has a chance to pour out.

I've experimented with this and doing the OC on a flat, level ground and jacking up the car from the factory jack points results in needing roughly 4.9q to fill it up.

Obviously i prefer to get as much of the old stuff out as possible and doing the OC on my driveway and jacking up the front end from the front driver side tow hook (right under the front bumper) = needing more oil to fill it up.

I service a few local Si's from the 8th civics forum and this happens all the time. a Mugen Si once took 5.5q to fill up (my most yet) I added the whole 5q jug and the owner was
shocked.gif
that i overfilled his car. We drove around the block, check the level and it was on the low side. So another half quart went in to bring the level up to the top.

I've also heard of blowing air into the valve cover / dipstick hole but i don't want to leave the head dry and without oil so i don't go that far trying to get every last drop out.

So yea, now you know.

Yep, when I did the ATF on my wife's accord, I had to put 3.5 qts in to get it to the top of the hatches on the dipstick. All the airmchair engineers on driveaccord.net were raising a fuss that I overfilled it and the trans would blow up asap since the FSM list 2.8qts for a drain an fill.

Well I do the same thing as you, I take advantage of the slope of my driveway, plus I jack one corner of the car up and I let it drain for 3 hours while I mow and weed wack and I'm able to get a lot more out than a perfectly flat, 15min drain.

thumbsup2.gif
Niiiice.

People on the forum don't understand that there isn't a set amount of fluid that every engine takes under different drain circumstances. I'm sure on the lift at the dealer (car is level) the amount needed to refill will be exactly as the book says.

The same can't be said when the oil is drain with the engine tilted at an angle where naturally more oil drains out thanks to good ol' gravity. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back