Amsoil 5w30 ASL 9,421 miles 03 Jeep Liberty 3.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping to go a year with this oil but based on TBN (2) I don't think I will. The oil was in 6 months. Not sure whether it is SM or earlier. Silicon was a little high; I've changed the air filter but Blackstone thought it wasn't bad considering mileage on oil.

MI/HR on Oil 9,421
MI/HR on Unit 72,421
Sample Date 9/29/2007
Make Up Oil Added 0 qts

ALUMINUM 5
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 24
COPPER 6
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 67
NICKEL 3
MANGANESE 2
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 59
SILICON 26
SODIUM 12
CALCIUM 4604
MAGNESIUM 17
PHOSPHORUS 647
ZINC 795
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 63.1
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 11.1
Flashpoint in °F 410
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0
Water % 0
Insolubles % 0.3
TBN 2
TAN
ISO Code

Unless the UA for the iron is close to the reading you got, I'd be conserned about that. IMO, I'd say the amsoil didn't protect like it was suppose to.

Mike - yes, first time for oil brand. Lab said I could go 10,000 miles which would be only about 600 more miles. That was based on TBN of 2.

Tackleberry625 - the UA for Iron is 34, so this reading seems good.

Daman - I think if I backed it to 7,000 - 7,500 I would use PP and probably a WIX. I am wondering if I should use a cheaper but good oil (like PP) and just go with the 7,000 - 7,500 OC.

02zx9r - I would say it looks pretty good but I was hoping to go further, mileage & time.

Report is great. 10k appears to be the max. Ca is whacked. About 1k ppm higher than norm.

Quote:

Daman - I think if I backed it to 7,000 - 7,500 I would use PP and probably a WIX. I am wondering if I should use a cheaper but good oil (like PP) and just go with the 7,000 - 7,500 OC.

I agree, if Ams can't do it for ya back off to PP and save $$.

Reason I wondered if this was the first time, was that there is likely to be some reside of what was run before inside the engine and that could have some impact on this report.

It would be wise to sample on the 2nd run with a particular oil, so as not to have it contaminated by what was run before. Thats my opinion.

I tend to agree, Mike. I don't switch hit with oils if I'm doing UOA. I lean toward potential disruptions between chemistries more than I do residuals ..but that's something to consider. Now if you've got something with tons of additives and then switch to a leaner brew ..sure..you're probably going to have leftovers lingering around for a while. I can't recall ever adding anything to my wife's 4.0 ..but I'm still showing trace moly 15000 miles later
shocked.gif
: I must have added a bottle of VSOT a year ago or so...
confused.gif

Pablo - Why the ATM or ACD? Because of the higher weight? I was thinking about going to a 10w30 for this vehicle because it seems to use 5w30. Not much though, in this run used about a quart in a little bit less than 10,000 miles. But I've noticed with 5w30 (which is what I've used in it) that it does use oil.

Quote:

Pablo - Why the ATM or ACD? Because of the higher weight? I was thinking about going to a 10w30 for this vehicle because it seems to use 5w30. Not much though, in this run used about a quart in a little bit less than 10,000 miles. But I've noticed with 5w30 (which is what I've used in it) that it does use oil.

There is that. But I always think in terms of the best flowing oil for the situation with the least amount of viscosity index improvers (VII’s). These type of oils really seem to produce the least wear. Dollars to donuts ACD 10W-30 (SAE 30) would reduce your wear (no VII’s!)

ACD SAE 30/10W-30

Thanks Pablo! I think I might try the ACD. I did some costs analyses and it seems that using PP and 7,000 mile OCI would be about $10 cheaper a year. But I like the idea of not having to change the oil as often. For $10 it would be worth it!

In your opinion could I go another change with same oil filter? It is an EaO34, I believe. This is after 10,000 miles/6 months on it.

Quote:

In your opinion could I go another change with same oil filter? It is an EaO34, I believe.

I plan to run my EAO filters to the 25K they recommend, but UOAs will tell you for sure.

Just a heads up, the bigger EAO 15 will fit on a 3.7 Liberty, at least on my 02.

I would swap in a new filter and go with an Ea015, but that's just me.

If you re-use the existing filter, at least drain it. I'm kinda anal about old oil in my engine. But the filter should be in fine shape.

That silicon number could be lower even over 9500mi. I think thats causing most of your Fe wear. Lead of 0 is amazing, good job. I think the ASL is doing fine for the haul but you need better filtration for that duration.

Quote:

with the least amount of viscosity index improvers (VII’s). These type of oils really seem to produce the least wear.

Redline uses ZERO VII's. Some amount are actually beneficial according to some people. I do think less is better. Just makes more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back