Amsoil 5W-20 vs. 0W-20 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L. North/central Indiana. Now using Amsoil
XL 5W-20. Time for oil change(6500 mile OCIs-Pablo's recommendation), and I need to order more oil today. Any reason I should switch to XL 0W-20? So far it's been a mild winter, but normally we get some sub-zero temps. Van is parked in my heated garage at night, but wife parks it in parking garage while at work. Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I did a search and found way too many threads to sift through. Thanks.:)

Last edited:
I found it interesting that the XL was 0w20, the one with group III base oils and the Top of the line, with group V VI base oils was 5w20. The difference in price is quite a bit. If you are staying with 6.5K oci's and the XL comes in good on a uoa, I would choose the XL.

I saw a sheet on the 0W-20 "SSO" (Pablo am i getting that right?) grade and it looks impressive for a thin 20. I like it.

You could very likely use it, it gets cold in Indiana! Lake effect may get you to -10 or so. Central and North if not the whole State...

I vote 0W-20. Not understanding the "5" significance most of the time.

Flip a coin both will do the job I would give the 0w20 a shot if it were me 6500 is a good OCI. What filter do you run I do like Fram XGs on my Hondas.

I'd run the 5w-20XL (an EXCELLENT OIL BTW IMO) over the 0w-20.

Either will work but you asked!
48.gif

LargeCarManX2, Both the 5W-20 and 0W-20 I am considering are XL oils.
Amsoil also sells both 0W-20 and 5W-20 in their top of the line Signature series oils(I assume group V oil). My van has the VCM engine, therefore I have chosen not to do extended drains in this vehicle. So, in this case, I believe the use group V oils would be a waste of money. So the choice is between XL 0W-20 and XL 5W-20.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Flip a coin both will do the job I would give the 0w20 a shot if it were me 6500 is a good OCI. What filter do you run I do like Fram XGs on my Hondas.

I use the Amsoil EAO oil filters.

Originally Posted By: 96 Cherokee
LargeCarManX2, Both the 5W-20 and 0W-20 I am considering are XL oils.
Amsoil also sells both 0W-20 and 5W-20 in their top of the line Signature series oils(I assume group V oil). My van has the VCM engine, therefore I have chosen not to do extended drains in this vehicle. So, in this case, I believe the use group V oils would be a waste of money. So the choice is between XL 0W-20 and XL 5W-20.

Thanks, your correct....even OE is 0w20 and a 5K oci might just be the ticket of choice. Thanks for the clairification.

Seems like the guys are muddling it up a bit.

Amsoil has for regular passenger car oils:

0W-20 in product code OEZ, XLZ, ASM also know as the OE series, XL Series and Sig Series 0W-20's.

5W-20 in product code OEM, XLM, ALM also know as the OE series, XL Series and Sig Series 5W-20's.

(Amsoil has a race 5W-20, RD-20 as well)

The differences:

OE is Group III based with a standard, but good additive package. This oil is in line with the typical Group III based OTC oil like PP, PU, Castrol synthetic, etc

XL is the same Group III base as OE, but with a much stouter additive package.

Sig Series is Group IV&V based extended OCI and robust additive package.

You could use any of the 6 oils - but I know for a fact that engine is not the cleanest running beast. Doing the XL for the OLM seems wise and frankly switching to the XL 0W-20 sounds like a great plan.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Seems like the guys are muddling it up a bit.

Amsoil has for regular passenger car oils:

0W-20 in product code OEZ, XLZ, ASM also know as the OE series, XL Series and Sig Series 0W-20's.

5W-20 in product code OEM, XLM, ALM also know as the OE series, XL Series and Sig Series 5W-20's.

(Amsoil has a race 5W-20, RD-20 as well)

The differences:

OE is Group III based with a standard, but good additive package. This oil is in line with the typical Group III based OTC oil like PP, PU, Castrol synthetic, etc

XL is the same Group III base as OE, but with a much stouter additive package.

Sig Series is Group IV&V based extended OCI and robust additive package.

You could use any of the 6 oils - but I know for a fact that engine is not the cleanest running beast. Doing the XL for the OLM seems wise and frankly switching to the XL 0W-20 sounds like a great plan.

Thanks!

Pablo,
Thanks for chiming in here. I'm staying with the XL line and wanted to know if there is any reason I should or should not switch to 0W-20. So far almost all the opinions are for the 0W-20, and now you added another vote for the same. I ordered 0W-20 and also an EAO44 filter to try. My oil should be here tomorrow and I'll get the change done this weekend. The OLM is at 15%, so I have plenty of time(miles) to get it done. I appreciate the information you provided on the differences in the series of oils.

Thanks. Sorry for the lousy grammar.

"Amsoil has for regular passenger car oils:"

This should read:

"Amsoil has, for regular passenger cars, the following oil series:"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back