Amsoil + 5.4L V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil's Online Product Application Guide has no recommendations for the Ford Modular 5.4L V8, wonder why? I just purchased a 2008 F150 and am looking to change the factory oil early, maybe at 500 miles. Any suggestions on a particular Amsoil weight for this engine? Should I stay semi-synthetic as far as the piston rings are concerned?

thanks

Originally Posted By: phillyFX4
Amsoil's Online Product Application Guide has no recommendations for the Ford Modular 5.4L V8, wonder why? I just purchased a 2008 F150 and am looking to change the factory oil early, maybe at 500 miles. Any suggestions on a particular Amsoil weight for this engine? Should I stay semi-synthetic as far as the piston rings are concerned?

thanks

Here's what it says (for other curious folks):

Quote:
LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS
Engine Oil
No recommendations
All Temps......5W-20

And the reason for this is; Amsoil hasn't filled in all the blanks for 2008 models yet. But the recommendation is 5W-20, or 0W-20. I assume you won't be doing extended OCI's. I recommend:

Amsoil XLM 5W-20 You can switch to the ASM 0W-20 later if you like.

Amsoil XL 5w-20 for 7,500 mile OCIs or Amsoil 0w-20 for 12,000+ miles between OCIs.

If warranty is preventing you from extended oil changes, then go with the Amsoil XL 5w-20 and follow Amsoil's 7,500/6 month recommendation.

I'm curious as to why you are getting rid of the factory oil so quickly? Even using mediocre oil people have done 3K mile OCI with no damage. Unless Ford is putting vegetable oil in the crankcase I see no reason not to use the oil for a reasonable time.

Clark

Clark,

Many (except Honda owners) want to remove any machining and assembly leftovers ASAP ...and that's about it
21.gif

welcome2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back