Ammo Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
ammo prices are through the roof!!! I can't wait til the war is over and ammo will come down to a better level. My local toy store sells 45ACP for 17 bucks/box and that's ridiculous.

Durango

The cost of all metals has risen dramatically, including the various metals used for ammo. Increased demand for metals by Chinese industries is a much bigger reason than the Irag war's drain on metal for ammo.

ammo2tm5.jpg

ammunition2350roundspr6.jpg

If your intrested, this is a cost breakdown for the 2,350 rounds I finished loading the other day. A fellow on another forum was intrested in reloading for his AR-15's had asked me. The brass was mixed headstamp. CCI, Remington, Winchester, Lake City, S&B, and a few others I'm forgetting. This brass was obtained from on line sources on the web. I processed it all the same. First I resized and deprimed all of it with a RCBS Small Base Sizing Die. Then I processed all of the primer pockets on my Dillon 600 Super Swage, because some of them were military with crimped primer pockets. I then trimmed all of them to uniform length on my Giraud Powered Case Trimmer. After that they went into the tumbler for several hours and received a polish with ground corn cob and Dillon Rapid Polish added to the media. The final step was to run it through my Dillon and crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. They turned out very good. My total investment in this batch of .223 was:

Brass---------$20.00 total. (It was free, but I paid the shipping).

Powder-------$65.00 for 8 pounds of AA 2230C. (25.0 Gr. per load X 2,350 = 58,750 Gr. 58,750 divided by 7,000 Grains per pound = 8.39 pounds of powder total.)

Primers-------$59.38 for 2,350 primers @ $25.00 per thousand.

Bullets-------$172.21 (2,350 Winchester 55 Gr. FMJBT from Midway)

Boxes--------$52.00 for 100 boxes and trays from Midway. (Actually $26.00 because I used only 47.)

Grand Total = $342.59

remington1000rounds223ia8.jpg

By comparison the 1,000 rounds of Remington UMC FMJ in .223 pictured above cost me $371.00 delivered from Natchez. Reloading can be extremely cost effective but you must find good scources, and buy in bulk. Here are 2 very good scources for brass, bullets, and powder.

http://www.gibrass.com

http://www.patsreloading.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back