Amazon free shipping is now $49 minimum order????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does prime provide free 2 day shipping on ALL orders or just orders that are 49 dollars and above?

Originally Posted By: Joe1
Does prime provide free 2 day shipping on ALL orders or just orders that are 49 dollars and above?
Anything that is marked Prime. Which is a lot of stuff. Usually it's very low cost items that don't get the Prime treatment. And if they do they may be overpriced.

Amazon shipping has hit a snag around here the last couple weeks. Two of the last three orders missed their delivery date. One by a day and the other long enough where I got a refund. Of course it showed up a hour after doing all that which caused me more emails to pay them again.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Amazon shipping has hit a snag around here the last couple weeks. Two of the last three orders missed their delivery date.

In my area, it seems that Amazon has started using USPS instead of UPS lately, and I'm noticing the same thing: some orders don't arrive on time anymore.

Amazon's probably responding to the USPS having raised its shipping rates for the first time in several years. Do they still offer a dollar refund on Prime orders if you're not in a hurry to receive them?

I dropped luxuries like Prime last year. Now I plan ahead instead of waiting till the last minute and just make fewer, larger orders. If I order only one item it usually ships faster but if they have to compile a bunch of items it'll take over a week before it ships. Once it ships it arrives the next day, since the depot is in Phoenix.

Supplements and other things sold by large companies like Vitacost are usually cheaper when ordered directly from Vitacost, with lower threshholds for free shipping.

Been finding better "Buy it Now" deals on Ebay than Amazon. Just got a pair of Raybestos Advanced Tech brake rotors for Rock Auto's price but with free shipping, and they were here in two days.

Originally Posted By: Joe1

You need $49 worth of stuff to get free, slow shipping without prime.

Prime has 2 day shipping on "eligible" items, which, to me, seems to exclude brake rotors.
crackmeup2.gif

You stand a better chance of getting 2 day shipping with prime even if your item is eligible for slow-boat shipping without.

I have few nice things in life. Rarely eat out, use a tracfone "burner", run mismatched used tires, but I have a Prime membership as one of life's few luxuries.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Home Depot did pretty much the same thing, lower prices and slowly drove many of the mom and pop hardware stores and small lumberyards out of business. Every time I walk into a Home Depot in my neighborhood I'm amazed they're still in business. They have the worst help I've ever seen in a retail store. Now if I go to a Home Depot in Upstate NY, Washington State, NJ, Florida, California, or the Carolina's [a few I've visited in the past few years] I'm impressed.

Home Depots in Southern California, especially the ones in Orange County, have very good customer service. I always had good customer service experience with local HD and Lowes.

Sorry to hear that your local HD customer service is not up to industry standard.

I was happy with the HD in California when I visited my son. I have a cousin who was a manager at a HD in Upstate NY. When he came to Long Island to visit and help me do some carpentry at my house we went to a local HD. He was amazed at how lousy the help there was. He said in his store people would be warned and then fired for treating customers the way we were treated. Honestly I'm used to it, it goes with the turf.

IDK I have been a Prime member since 2006, I have been very satisfied with Amazon. I watch their shows, loved the Man in the High Castle, and I order a ton of stuff threw them.

Sadly, even Jeg's has raised their free shipping minimum purchase from $35.00, up to $75.00 currently.
frown.gif

(They still beat Summit Racing's $99.00 minimum though. )

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Amazon shipping has hit a snag around here the last couple weeks. Two of the last three orders missed their delivery date.

In my area, it seems that Amazon has started using USPS instead of UPS lately, and I'm noticing the same thing: some orders don't arrive on time anymore.

Yep. UPS never missed a beat. USPS not as good.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I've been able to get a good price on car parts on Amazon, and the net cost of shipping, when amortizing the Prime membership over all my orders, is less than the cost of driving my car to shop for that item.

W

I ordered a clutch kit for the saturn off amazon, $100 and free shipping. Less than rock auto, and 2 day shipping.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yep. UPS never missed a beat. USPS not as good.

I have found that it depends...any and all books I have ordered were sent USPS. Most small stuff is also mailed. Larger things went UPS.

My only beef with that is when they send them requiring a signature...which I am not home to do!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
My only beef with that is when they send them requiring a signature...which I am not home to do!

That's why I love having my mailbox at a UPS Store. As much online shopping I do it's well worth the money to have someone sign for deliveries and keep them safe, indoors and air-conditioned until I can pick them up.

Prime is now $100/year.

But it includes free two day shipping as well as videos and music.

I had over 80 Amazon orders last year, more than a dozen in December alone. I use the two day shipping to send presents to family members for multiple occasions, including, for example, Keurig K-cups to my daughter in medical school, Legos to my nephews for Christmas, and shooting supplies to my brother.

I do shop price, and when Amazon is substantially more than other vendors, or when Amazon doesn't carry a product, I go with other vendors. When I need something that day, I will shop and buy locally.

I've been able to get a good price on car parts on Amazon, and the net cost of shipping, when amortizing the Prime membership over all my orders, is less than the cost of driving my car to shop for that item.

When you consider the value of my time that I save in being able to shop and ship with Prime, it's a screaming deal.

Confidentially, I ordered some watch band pins, a set of electronic shooting muffs for my wife, and a Garmin mount, just before logging onto BITOG. They will arrive Tuesday, and saved me the time and gas looking in three different stores for those things.

And given my historic order patterns, that savings in time and gas cost about $1.00 of my annual Prime membership.

Exactly.

No one vendor is the one stop shop, 100% of the time. Amazon does well and provides great value, even with Prime costing some money itself. We buy thousands of dollars of stuff from Amazon each year...

Some things are more money from Amazon, but the time and convenience can make up for it. In my locale, a,ton of stuff can be had same or next day for free...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Prime is now $100/year.

I ordered a brake rotor thru prime on friday and got it thursday. I think they mean "two-ish days", like Priority Mail segued into.

Your example is appropos. I've noticed that more and more of my Prime 2-day shipments are both late and handled by the USPS. I had a time critical order that was botched by the post office back in November. I called to inquire as to why I hadn't received it, the customer support gal said she spends most of her day helping customers with missing/late deliveries by the USPS.

Can't complain, my wife gets Amazon Prime for $49/year because of her student email. Even if we paid full price, it would be worth it.

Free 2 day shipping
Amazon Video
Amazon Music
Amazon Photo

What you get for what you pay even at $100/year is awesome.

Last edited:
I just beat the change by a few days and the move certainly is not surprising. I recently bought some front rotors from the warehouse deals site and after their cost in shipping they didn't even gross $10.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Prime is now $100/year.

I ordered a brake rotor thru prime on friday and got it thursday. I think they mean "two-ish days", like Priority Mail segued into.

I've never had two-ish day shipping.

It's been two days every time I've ordered.

Now, if the item comes from a third party, or you live in the sticks, or it wasn't in stock when you ordered, well, that might be a different case.

But in hundreds of eligible Prime orders, they've never been over two days.

That's a reasonable data set.

^ I was almost going to post on this a few days ago in a new thread... Just forgot to.

I have prime. As mentioned above, I get a ton of stuff same day or next day free. More or less anything else two day if its prime.

But recently I did have some things to order on, say, a Thursday PM, and the two day shipping was expected to deliver on a Monday or Tuesday! Typically two day shipping for me has included Saturday and Sunday delivery on anything Ive bought, but very recently it seems that that has changed a bit perhaps... On some things, possibly coming from some places...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back