Amazing Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
A biker is hit and is under the burning car. The passers by lift the BMW and rescue him while the driver, the man in a suit, stands nearby, probably in shock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, saw it on CNN earlier today. Amazing that the biker survived and is in stable condition.

The guy in the suit was the driver of the BMW. Most likely in shock, as you pointed out.

The story referenced the rider "laying it down". A bike's tires have a much higher coefficient of friction than the sides of the bike and the rider do. Better in the vast majority of cases to brake as hard as you can, even if it means you'll end up colliding with something. Best to scrub off as much speed as possible prior to impact.

jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp
The story referenced the rider "laying it down". A bike's tires have a much higher coefficient of friction than the sides of the bike and the rider do. Better in the vast majority of cases to brake as hard as you can, even if it means you'll end up colliding with something. Best to scrub off as much speed as possible prior to impact.

That's true, but you have to learn and practice this all the time so that it becomes second nature to you and you'll follow through when facing this kind of a situation in real life. No doubt that a more experienced rider could have reduced the damages by doing exactly as you wrote.

Every time I see things like this, it makes me want to sell my bike.

Saw it on CNN earlier also. I have one gripe with it though...they only drag him maybe 7 feet away from the flames. If the flames had reached the BMW's gas tank and blown he would have been in deep trouble.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Saw it on CNN earlier also. I have one gripe with it though...they only drag him maybe 7 feet away from the flames. If the flames had reached the BMW's gas tank and blown he would have been in deep trouble.

That's true, although maybe they wanted to minimize his movements since his neck/back may have been injured.

Seconds after though (saw it on a different, longer video), the firefighters/officers approached with fire extinguishers and put out the fire.

jeff

Jeff is completely correct on the best course of action...However, having seen a few motorcycle riders around here completely misuse the brakes...the "laying it down" is often unintentional as the rider stands on the rear brake pedal...and locks up the rear wheel while barely applying the front brake...leading to a skid, loss of control, and low side wipeout...

Don't fear the front brake...on most bikes, it's at least 70% of the braking power...and I suspect that the misapplication of the brakes is the root cause for many who claim that they are "laying it down" prior to impact...a brave story to cover up poor technique...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: RamFan

That's true, although maybe they wanted to minimize his movements since his neck/back may have been injured.

Seconds after though (saw it on a different, longer video), the firefighters/officers approached with fire extinguishers and put out the fire.

Ok makes sense then, did not know that firefighters were already on site.

How sad and pathetic the BMW driver didn't even bother to help lift his car off the poor guy that was trapped.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
That's true, but you have to learn and practice this all the time so that it becomes second nature to you and you'll follow through when facing this kind of a situation in real life. No doubt that a more experienced rider could have reduced the damages by doing exactly as you wrote.

Exactly. I practice emergency stops in an empty parking lot every now and then. Also helps to be hyper alert of cars in the position to be "left turners".

jeff

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
How sad and pathetic the BMW driver didn't even bother to help lift his car off the poor guy that was trapped.
confused2.gif

On the news this morning, it was reported that the driver was among those who helped...I can't determine that from the video...that came from interviews with some of the workers who did the lifting and dragging.

Remarkable action on the part of those present.

Heroes!

Yeah it was amazing to see people come together and rescue the guy. I just found it amusing they only dragged him a few feet from the burning wreck and left him there.

I'm sure it was for fear of either a lawsuit or worsening his injuries, but supposedly the guy thanked them.

You have to be careful. There could be a spine injury that can result in a paralysis if the injured is not handled with care. In this case, dragging him from under the car was of more value than the risk of further injury by dragging. But you want to keep the risk minimal.

Does anybody know what size fire extinguisher it would take to take care of a fire that big? We carry extinguishers in all of our vehicles, but I think they'd be too small to extinguish a fire that big.

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
Does anybody know what size fire extinguisher it would take to take care of a fire that big? We carry extinguishers in all of our vehicles, but I think they'd be too small to extinguish a fire that big.

Even if your trained there is nothing that you could carry (within reason) that would put out that fire.

Update on the injured person in the story. He is lucky to say the least.

Bill

jeff

Having done the head-on thing, I agree this is probably the best course of action--the bike absorbs more impact than you'd ever think--but it's no picnic, either. I can see a guy intentionally laying it down, too--particularly in you're not, ahem, wearing a helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back