Alternative oil for a 2006 Yamaha YZ450F

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sick of using the expensive "motorcycle Only" oils for my bike. I have a 2006 Yamaha Yz450F and I ride pretty aggressively. It calls for a Jaso Ma rated oil due to the wet clutch. Is there a cheaper alternative? I've heard a lot of buzz about the shell rotella 15w40. Is this ok for a wet clutch? Thanks in advance.

I would user either the Rotella 15w40 dino or the 5w40 synthetic both sold at Wal Mart. If you are doing 3k OCI then go with the 15w40. If 5k+ OCI then go with the 5w40. Both will server you well and I use the 5w40 in my 800 Intruder.

Originally Posted By: mnm567
These oils won't cause clutch slippage?

Rotella won't. It meets the JASO-MA friction test. Plus, there are literally thousands of motorcyclists running with it, including me. I've got it in my 2007 GL1800 Goldwing.

My confidence in Rotella 15W-40 is so high that I don't worry at all about running with it in the summer where daytime temps exceed 110 degrees.

Yeah, it's that good.

But so too are the other HDEOs -- Delvac and Delo. Heck, the SuperTech 15W-40 is also good ... Sunruh on this board seems to have confidence in it.

if you are changing out frequently (like you should) in the dirtbike then the hdeo's like rotella, chevron delo, mobil delvac 1300 super 15W40's are the way to go.

I change out in my crf every couple of rides. For me its a total of about 1.5 quarts between motor and tranny, and I run the rotella in both sides with no issues.

Like Don said, sunruh puts the supertech 15W40 near the top for the bargin basement price oils that perform better than many of the more expensive ones, and he has tested many oils in his dirtbike. Except for like motul or maxima, you really cant go wrong with the 15W40's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back