alright you big dummies. wasn't the 'winter blend'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rancur3p1c
so I haven't 'killed' the engine?

What's your definition of "killed?"

If I'm right, no way is the engine in perfect health. It's just not "dead" yet, either.

new idea: if I'm going to just burn off the old [censored], could I just keep adding oil? Let's get a really high quality oil filter and try it.

No.

Fix the car.

I suggest that the original poster change his oil and filter on whatever schedule he has, and check the oil level every day.

He needs to log every quart that goes in the car.

He also needs to log his mileage each day.

He needs to keep a log of what is going on. That way, he will be able to determine the consumption.

Surely there must be an explanation for the oil darkening so fast.

grin.gif

15.gif

I have a 2014 ford fusion, and I never go longer than 1000 miles between checking the oil. Sometimes even oftener. Has never been low, but You never know what could happen. Oh, by the way the car has less than 10000 miles on it. If I couldn't "bother" to check and fill the oil if necessary, I think I would try to find a full service station to buy gas, if such a place exists anymore, or just trade cars every year for the newest models.

Originally Posted By: old1
I have a 2014 ford fusion, and I never go longer than 1000 miles between checking the oil.

I never go more than three days or 300 miles, whichever comes first, without checking the oil.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I suggest that the original poster change his oil and filter on whatever schedule he has, and check the oil level every day.

He needs to log every quart that goes in the car.

He also needs to log his mileage each day.

He needs to keep a log of what is going on. That way, he will be able to determine the consumption.

Surely there must be an explanation for the oil darkening so fast.

grin.gif

15.gif

As per the above.

Not sure who the big dummy is here going for such a long OCI without checking the oil level at frequent intervals.
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

After the OP has establishes the mileage on the oil where the big burn off starts that will be the new OCI limit for the oil.

Last edited:
I go into convulsions if I can't check the oil every weekend on both vehicles. It's just habit.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I go into convulsions if I can't check the oil every weekend on both vehicles. It's just habit.

It can be done when u fill at the gas station weekly.

Originally Posted By: old1
I have a 2014 ford fusion, and I never go longer than 1000 miles between checking the oil.

I never go more than three days or 300 miles, whichever comes first, without checking the oil.

This should be written into the BITOG swearing in and acceptance process for new members regardless of the quality of the oil OR the age of the vehicle.

New branch of BITOG to be formed possible name of the new branch "CSI OCI" Police.

1st offence penalty ??
2nd offence ??
3rd etc ??
4th offence change oil and filter weekly for full OCI period recommended by OEM

Last edited:
per this thread
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3635680/1

I just drained the oil, only pulled 2 quarts and even worse gas milage (24.6 this tank). I have experienced this before, after certain mileage on the oil it just burns off like crazy. I had forgotten it does this.

should I even bother with the TBN this time? oil was black as I've ever seen

Yes, it's even more important to do a UOA now that you have had an irregular occurrence during an OCI.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
This thread serves as an excellent example of why I never buy used cars. Hard to Believe some of what I am reading.

My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
This thread serves as an excellent example of why I never buy used cars. Hard to Believe some of what I am reading.

+2. And I keep em as long as I can.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Wait, you mean that you were running your engine with only two quarts in the sump?

Seriously?

Can't find the dispstick? Too cold to open the hood? Don't bother checking?

I don't think we are the dummies here...

I can't be bothered to check as it shouldn't drop from 4.75q to 2q in 3000 miles

definitely your fault

How often does your free owners manual tell you to check the oil level?

I looked at all these threads.

The man's car is an oil burner to some degree. He has made it worse by his habit of hardly ever checking his oil. What he says is all over the place, and it is not possible to get order from "all over the place."

If I only checked by oil every 1000 miles, that would be about once every four weeks. And that would be crazy. For instance, yesterday I checked mine and it needs a 1/2 quart. Since we have mild weather here, I will check at least every second day and then, depending on when the next oil change comes, might give it some 10W-30 or even 20W-50 when it needs a full quart.

That's all, folks.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
per this thread
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3635680/1

I just drained the oil, only pulled 2 quarts and even worse gas milage (24.6 this tank). I have experienced this before, after certain mileage on the oil it just burns off like crazy. I had forgotten it does this.

should I even bother with the TBN this time? oil was black as I've ever seen

Yes, it's even more important to do a UOA now that you have had an irregular occurrence during an OCI.

TBN, not UOA.I was asking about the TBN subset of the UOA.

I looked at all these threads.

The man's car is an oil burner to some degree. He has made it worse by his habit of hardly ever checking his oil. What he says is all over the place, and it is not possible to get order from "all over the place."

If I only checked by oil every 1000 miles, that would be about once every four weeks. And that would be crazy. For instance, yesterday I checked mine and it needs a 1/2 quart. Since we have mild weather here, I will check at least every second day and then, depending on when the next oil change comes, might give it some 10W-30 or even 20W-50 when it needs a full quart.

That's all, folks.

I can rectify the confusion if you like but I assure you I have it all figured out now.

Basically, I can't go longer than about 7-9000 miles on ANY oil. frankly I'm surprised the PP made it to 9k considering the Castrol Edge Synthetic had issues after 7500 miles years ago. I never should have listened to you clowns when you said gas mileage drop isn't from worn out oil. That's what I guessed it was years ago when I felt how the engine felt and sounded rougher, and that's what it's turned out to be all along, you idiots just confused me. My fault for letting it happen, in the past I would pull out 3 quarts after having seen it at 3.5 at 7500 miles. oh well. from now on when I see it drop like a rock I'll just change it.

keep my thread in mind I'll post the UOA when it comes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Obviously OP checks his oil but it started rapidly burning off later on in the OCI. A lot of us don't check the oil constantly because we know our cars don't consume it.

yeah. why did it just disappear practically overnight? it's dropped like a rock like this before, but it's also possible I've done something to the engine given how hard I drive it. I have once noticed 'white' exhaust when I floored it (*it was also cold out*), and last time I got out of it at the gas station there was some exhaust plumes that seemed to persist for a bit longer (also very cold out) than I'm used to. That said, I definitely didn't smell oil, I was about 2 feet from the cloud; I think I would have smelled it had it been oil burning.

That is condensation in your exhaust, quite normal when the temps drop.

And no, it does not get cold in Atlanta. Ever.

Originally Posted By: jrmason
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Obviously OP checks his oil but it started rapidly burning off later on in the OCI. A lot of us don't check the oil constantly because we know our cars don't consume it.

yeah. why did it just disappear practically overnight? it's dropped like a rock like this before, but it's also possible I've done something to the engine given how hard I drive it. I have once noticed 'white' exhaust when I floored it (*it was also cold out*), and last time I got out of it at the gas station there was some exhaust plumes that seemed to persist for a bit longer (also very cold out) than I'm used to. That said, I definitely didn't smell oil, I was about 2 feet from the cloud; I think I would have smelled it had it been oil burning.

That is condensation in your exhaust, quite normal when the temps drop.

And no, it does not get cold in Atlanta. Ever.

exhaust, that's a good point

the morning it did this it was actually 14F, so no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back