Almost lost Oil Udder World Headquarters (my workshop) to a fire... Close Call today

OK yeah its a shed but its where we make and ship every Oil Udder. A unlucky spark from the woodstove almost burnt our "World Headquarters" to the ground today. Short clip from my security camera below. Thanks to an abundance of industrial fire extinguishers, a good fire department, and help from my neighbor we only charred the side of the shed. The quad is a total loss...

1615163381770.jpg

1615163502505.jpg

Could have been a lot worse... Glad y'all put it out!(y)

Oh totally. Calling this one a win. Good thing I was home as well. We ended up pulling the quad away with a chain to get some space. not much hair on my eyebrows or forearms right now but it saved the place (and inventory!). The heat off all that plastic, fuel, oil and tires is impressive. It was painful to get within 10ft when it was raging. Another few minutes and the workshop would have been a blaze. I store my old oil and gas right in that corner as well. Would have made a real mess.

Oh totally. Calling this one a win. Good thing I was home as well. We ended up pulling the quad away with a chain to get some space. not much hair on my eyebrows or forearms right now but it saved the place (and inventory!). The heat off all that plastic, fuel, oil and tires is impressive. It was painful to get within 10ft when it was raging. Another few minutes and the workshop would have been a blaze. I store my old oil and gas right in that corner as well. Would have made a real mess.
Do you keep your on-hand inventory in the shed? I'd buy one of them Udders that survived the fire...you can run an "Especial Edition" or something :)(y)

This is why everyone should have at least one good fire extinguisher. I have one in my kitchen, garage and my metal building. 5 pound ABC types except in the kitchen which has a 2.5 kitchen fire extinguisher. Plus look at the gauge once a month and make sure it's in the green zone.

Do you keep your on-hand inventory in the shed? I'd buy one of them Udders that survived the fire...you can run an "Especial Edition" or something :)(y)

:ROFLMAO: Yeah there will be a few "smoked quad" versions for sure. I might have to put an apology note in the order because the boxes might smell a bit like a tire fire...

This is why everyone should have at least one good fire extinguisher. I have one in my kitchen, garage and my metal building. 5 pound ABC types except in the kitchen which has a 2.5 kitchen fire extinguisher. Plus look at the gauge once a month and make sure it's in the green zone.

Totally. Getting these refilled and buying TWO more. Not messing around anymore. One on every floor.

I will say this.... when I hit that burning plastic, tires, fuel etc with my big extinguisher that fire just laughed at me. LAUGHED! Lol....I felt like unzipping my pants and pissing on it would have had the same effect. Moving the quad was the only option but it did put a small dent it in to buy me another minute....maybe two...

Man, wow! Did the spark hit the 4 wheeler?
Not sure Dan. My only thought was an ember came out of the ash pile (which is a small gravel pit with snow in it) and it blew into the woods. That lit the leaves on fire which worked its way under the quad. The video footage shows smoke for about 40min coming from behind the workshop in the direction an ember would have been blown.

So the short it this is 100% my fault as I should have a cover for the ash pit. I'll own it but dang that is some bad luck. Those ashes were over 48 hours old too. Still, smokey the bear would be really mad at me.

That's all that logically could explain it. nobody smokes on the property

Last edited:
Totally. Getting these refilled and buying TWO more. Not messing around anymore. One on every floor.

I will say this.... when I hit that burning plastic, tires, fuel etc with my big extinguisher that fire just laughed at me. LAUGHED! Lol....I felt like unzipping my pants and pissing on it would have had the same effect. Moving the quad was the only option but it did put a small dent it in to buy me another minute....maybe two...

refurbished and new American made extinguishers are readily available. Good luck.

I’ll take a smoked special too!

Wow glad you caught it on time. My friends shop burnt to the ground a few years ago. Someone didn’t make a smart choice and was welding next to someone taking off a gas tank full of gas which ended up spilling and a spark hit it and that was history burnt to the ground and lost everything.

I just looked up oil udder. I'd like one for the Mustang. Should I order from your site or amazon?
Glad your shop is OK!!
Mike B

Thanks Mike! Either work. If you want some freshly burned Yamaha parts direct is better (plus I keep a little money from Jeff, he's got enough). The BITOG gift code is working on the site. Saves you a bunch. The next amazon coupon takes 24 hours to post. Will be an option in a day for ya if that is the route you want.

Back