Allstate Insurance

I just switched homeowners and auto. They sent someone out but no one needed to be home or have any interaction with the person. My wife watched him walk around, take pictures, and leave without ever approaching the door.
Even with county assessments now drones are flown over homes.

I remememt back in the day switching having comp collision the car had to be inspected for previous damage. Talk about having a fox in the henhouse authorized agents tended to be body shops

I have no loyalty to auto or home insurance and ritually get new quotes every renewal, the industry is fleecing everyone.
and I thought I was the only one!
Im in disbelief sometimes on why some think this is so difficult.

Low price wins all the time. I will even switch if I find a better price after paying a renewal. The company you switch from sends you a refund check for the unused term.

I also have found I do better by not bundling. That is the biggest scam of all I suspect for most people. They make it sound like you are saving but they based that on their random "retail price" that no one pays. Kind of like shopping in Macy's where a sale is never a sale/ when they mention 25% off the regular price.

Currently, Progressive on the Home. I get this through, ironically of all places, my builder owned insurance agency. I cant find a better price anywhere (yet)
Also by coincidence we have Progressive on our Boat and Motorcycle. The home is new, the boat and motorcycle have always been with progressive, no one can beat the price, yet. Example, got a letter from Dairy Land, a huge insurer for motorcycles, like I always do I decide to check their price. 200% higher than what I currently pay!

Cars are through Costco which use Family Home Insurance Company. First time I am ever using them. Since we moved last year to a new home in a new state only miles from our old state we were forced to switch insurance. @JeffKeryk (I am pretty sure) mentioned Costco. So I tried it, wow, for right now, best price I could find.

Insurance for us is stupid cheap right now, after 15 years of switching companies, one extreme, last home, after my mortgage company paid my homeowners, 3 weeks later I found a better price. Paid for the new policy out of my funds and cancelled the other, Just like always, got a refund in the mail. Alerted mortgage company to new policy.

With that said, Homeowners insurance in a concern. I was used to paying less than what we pay now and our old home was just over 100% larger. Before we moved here I was getting quotes significantly higher on the new smaller home which is close to the coastline now vs the old home which was 2 hours away. Anyway my builders Insurance agency hooked me up with Progressive and I am pleasantly surprised that the price comes in at what I was paying for the last home. IN the past Progressive I would never use on the old home because it was too expensive. I am concerned as the industry is looking to raise rates in our county 74% though they will be denied by the NC Insurance council we all know they will get something.

Im not sure in this day and age, some people for some reason, do not understand. They are the one paying for the service (insurance) they can cancel, switch or whatever they want to do no different than what gas station they chose to get gas on any particular day.

BTW- I carry maybe higher deductibles than most because I dont make claims on anything and never will so I go for high deductibles, I look for insurance to cover larger losses not everyday kind of stuff so with that said I do insure myself for the highest obtainable lability amounts that I can on everything, typically that is $500,000 including things like underinsured and uninsured drivers.

(Ps. I have no idea why I write essays every time I post in BITOG *LOL*)

Yeah. I been with them over 25 years. Last several years EVERY single time a bill is due they increase the cost of coverage.
Just got the 6 mo car insurance bill. Wife and I both 67 with zero tickets or wrecks and they want $1300 for full coverage
on 2018 and 2009 Honda AccordExls. I have auto / home / flood with them. They have paid off instantly with any home owner
claims.
I never bundle anymore, learned that lesson over 15 years ago. The discounts are phony or better said, if you make it a hobby to get quotes on line you can save money. Even though what you pay isnt horrible.
Insurance companies do not reward reliable customers and only reward those who will switch. If that makes sense.

Anyway, you can go online (if that is your thing) and gets quotes from all over. Also try Costco Connect. Just go to Costco website, not sure if they will quote you if you are not a member though. Im posting this here since we have similar age vehicles but different types. Also impossible to compare quotes with others, every place in the USA are different prices. Also when hearing others post quotes, unless you see their policy you have no idea what they are priced at. An example below, MANY people have unrealistic inadequate insurance if they are injured by an uninsured or underinsured driver. I carry the same insurance as I do for my liability which you see at the bottom of my policy.

I switch companies all the time. I use the computer to "make money" shopping, though my wife laughs because while shopping just a couple years back we decided to sell our house and move *LOL* But the reason we moved was to downsize and get another brand new house before the older 16 year home we lived in would start needing maintenance like roofs, HVAC systems, appliances, flooring etc etc.. *LOL* Plus kids older and moved out now, new lifestyle on the coast. Homeowners insurance here has me concerned but so far its ok, so far.

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 10.17.03 AM.jpg

Last edited:
I must ask: Is the Progressive pay cash discount a REAL discount, or do they just really hijack the people paying installments. I mean they and agents really say it's a huge discount.....etc and sure it is large..........

I am learning that bundling not great either. Thanks.

I must ask: Is the Progressive pay cash discount a REAL discount, or do they just really hijack the people paying installments. I mean they and agents really say it's a huge discount.....etc and sure it is large..........

Not sure if you are asking me this question. Car Insurance quote above is Costco Connect that uses Family (something) insurance company.
I dont know the cash thing but all our policies we pay the full term or else you pay a few $ more if paid in any kind of installments.

Yeah, the bundling thing. Learned a hard lesson a long time ago. State Farm we did a lot of business with our local agent, treated us right. Between two families. Homes, boats, cars, commercial real estate, and business insurance (which is a killer) Moved south and expected my insurance to drop, policies moved to new agent here in the south. So curious, got on my computer, I was getting soaked on the cars and house.
Never again for State Farm, we do use them on a commercial property still and tenants use them for business insurance. They are good with that but that is it.
( @Pablo ) I added to this post and wanted you to see it *LOL*

Last edited:
I never bundle anymore, learned that lesson over 15 years ago. The discounts are phony or better said, if you make it a hobby to get quotes on line you can save money. Even though what you pay isnt horrible.
Insurance companies do not reward reliable customers and only reward those who will switch. If that makes sense.

Anyway, you can go online (if that is your thing) and gets quotes from all over. Also try Costco Connect. Just go to Costco website, not sure if they will quote you if you are not a member though. Im posting this here since we have similar age vehicles but different types. Also impossible to compare quotes with others, every place in the USA are different prices. Also when hearing others post quotes, unless you see their policy you have no idea what they are priced at. An example below, MANY people have unrealistic inadequate insurance if they are injured by an uninsured or underinsured driver. I carry the same insurance as I do for my liability which you see at the bottom of my policy.

I switch companies all the time. I use the computer to "make money" shopping, though my wife laughs because while shopping just a couple years back we decided to sell our house and move *LOL* But the reason we moved was to downsize and get another brand new house before the older 16 year home we lived in would start needing maintenance like roofs, HVAC systems, appliances, flooring etc etc.. *LOL* Plus kids older and moved out now, new lifestyle on the coast. Homeowners insurance here has me concerned but so far its ok, so far.

View attachment 217661
Here is the rub. We have home, rental properties, auto, travel trailer, umbrella. If they are not under a single carrier-it's not a good scenario-especially if the Umbrella needs to kick in.

Not sure if you are asking me this question. Car Insurance quote above is Costco Connect that uses Family (something) insurance company.
I dont know the cash thing but all our policies we pay the full term or else you pay a few $ more if paid in any kind of installments.
You and others. I am not in the office right now but over 20% difference

I'm on progressive (6 month renewal this month actually) and I save about $30 if I pay in full vs monthly. My renters insurance is like $6/month so I only save a few dollars when paid in full.

I didn't know you can even pay them with cash.

Here is the rub. We have home, rental properties, auto, travel trailer, umbrella. If they are not under a single carrier-it's not a good scenario-especially if the Umbrella needs to kick in.
Yeah. Agree my posts are more for typical family. Once you get into business such as rental properties or any business and umbrella it can get tricky on "out of the box stuff"

ONE THING FOR SURE FOR ANYTHING DEALING WITH THE PUBLIC, YOU BETTER HAVE AT LEAST ONE MILLION IN LIABILTY INSURANCE ON THAT PROPERTY. There are scammers who make a living out of this, dont ask me how I know, it can be unsettling but thank god we are covered properly.
This is a known scammer with past history, it's now been 10+ years and our insurance company still dealing with it. The person waited until one month before the 7 year statue of limitations ran out to sue.

Last edited:
I'm on progressive (6 month renewal this month actually) and I save about $30 if I pay in full vs monthly. My renters insurance is like $6/month so I only save a few dollars when paid in full.

I didn't know you can even pay them with cash.
Well not cash, just pay all at once. Our bundled saving paying with CARD all at once is around $400.

We have full home and property, shop and out buildings, automobile, good sized umbrella.

• Wow
Reactions: Pew
I've been with Travelers--with 2 or 3 cars, a house, and a high-liability unbrella--several years after getting raped by Liberty Mutual for too many years.. Late last month I traded a Porsche 911 worth about $130K for a new Mustang GT Premium that cost about $60K; that portion of my ANNUAL premium went up from c. $1800 to c. $2400! I asked why the premium was one-third more for a car worth HALF; the telefone clerk had no answer.. Just so you know, I live in Phoenix, AZ, where premiums are higher than national average and I'm 80YO and with only one claim in 5 or 6 years.

This week I contacted American Home Ins. thru Costco; their annual premium for the same auto coverage was c. $9.6K v. Travelers' $5.4K.. I'm still looking for other quotes.

Well not cash, just pay all at once. Our bundled saving paying with CARD all at once is around $400.

We have full home and property, shop and out buildings, automobile, good sized umbrella.

That's nice savings! I think Progressive is just $5/month off for full payment.
I've been with Travelers--with 2 or 3 cars, a house, and a high-liability unbrella--several years after getting raped by Liberty Mutual for too many years.. Late last month I traded a Porsche 911 worth about $130K for a new Mustang GT Premium that cost about $60K; that portion of my ANNUAL premium went up from c. $1800 to c. $2400! I asked why the premium was one-third more for a car worth HALF; the telefone clerk had no answer.. Just so you know, I live in Phoenix, AZ, where premiums are higher than national average and I'm 80YO and with only one claim in 5 or 6 years.

This week I contacted American Home Ins. thru Costco; their annual premium for the same auto coverage was c. $9.6K v. Travelers' $5.4K.. I'm still looking for other quotes.

Mustang crashes might be statistically higher.

That's nice savings! I think Progressive is just $5/month off for full payment.

Mustang crashes might be statistically higher.
Yes, the liability to an insurance company of driving that high-powered Mustang must be statistically higher.

Meaning it’s not the value of the car that’s pennies on a dollar with a $60,000 difference in purchase price that they would probably never lose, the issue is how many hundreds of thousands (millions) it cost the industry in bodily injury claims.

I also wonder if the Porsche is a two seater and the mustang a four seater that increases the liability of bodily injury by 100% to four people from two for just that vehicle never mind who that vehicle may run into.

Just throwing that out there as a thought. We know it’s all priced on industry claims. Maybe the Mustang is a greater risk because the Porsche purchase price is more expensive and a mature individual who can afford such a purchase drives it which results in a lower liability cost

Last edited:
I worked in insurance for a few years prior to being in IT. They all pretty much operate the same, pick the one with the lowest price for the coverage you need. There really is not an advantage of going with one over the other, despite what they may claim. As a claims adjuster and later supervisor I dealt with the claims departments from all of the big companies on a daily basis. Just be sure to read your policy carefully.

I dropped Allstate a couple years ago after over 20 years with them. The premium increases just got too ridiculous. A small increase is one thing but they jumped my home owner’s insurance up like $600 in one year. Auto had huge increases as well. No tickets or claims made. No new cars. But the final straw with Allstate was them denying a claim I made for roof hail damage. Had a bad storm and the roof got pounded. EVERY HOUSE around mine got a new roof through their insurance company. This is not an exaggeration. I was the only house with Allstate. It took them 8 weeks to come look at my roof and only 10 minutes to say they saw nothing. It was insane they denied there was damage. It was OBVIOUS. had two roofing companies look at it. They were like heck yeah you have damage! They both said Allstate is a nightmare to work with and that they screwed me. I told my Allstate agent exactly why I was dropping them.

I've lately lot's of people complaining about their insurance going up a lot, it's definitely a thing right now and reflects the times, imo. Ourselves - my wife and I - have been with USAA for about 6 or 7 years after leaving our previous insurer (Country) which we loved, because we moved cross country and they didn't cover the area we're now in. We haven't had any increases with USAA, but we've also not had a claim. One thing I remember when we were looking for a new carrier back then was my wife doing a lot of research and what she discovered was that many insurers reel people in with a low/modest rate, then within a year SUBSTANTIALLY raise the rates. Many complaints about that.

So I'd do some research OP, see what you can come up with. Definitely look into any possibilites and make sure they're not one of the rate raisers lot's of people complain about.

Reactions: CKN
BTW- I carry maybe higher deductibles than most because I dont make claims on anything and never will so I go for high deductibles, I look for insurance to cover larger losses not everyday kind of stuff so with that said I do insure myself for the highest obtainable lability amounts that I can on everything, typically that is $500,000 including things like underinsured and uninsured drivers.
^This is us as well. In fact, I believe it's how insurance should be used by everyone. People that constantly hit up their insurance for every little thing they can ie small chip in windshield, something taken from vehicle, etc, etc don't seem to realize this costs you more in the end with higher and higher premiums. Basically your insurance company reps should not immediately recognize your name when you call, haha.

One other thing I wanted to mention is that the people saying insurance companies 'fleece' everyone are not seeing the whole picture. For one, insurance companies are CONSTANTLY fighting fraud. For some reason many people who would never steal something from a store or home, feel just fine turning in a bogus or exaggerated insurance claim. I used to work with insurance attorneys regularly in EUOs (Examination Under Oath) and the amount of crooked people out there is a lot more than most people realize. It's epidemic, imo. Also along these lines are all the bottom feeder law firms that exist solely to extort money over slip and falls and car accidents that insurers have to fight. And med mal of course. To a large degree you can think those individuals for the prices we're all paying.

^This is us as well. In fact, I believe it's how insurance should be used by everyone. People that constantly hit up their insurance for every little thing they can ie small chip in windshield, something taken from vehicle, etc, etc don't seem to realize this costs you more in the end with higher and higher premiums. Basically your insurance company reps should not immediately recognize your name when you call, haha.

One other thing I wanted to mention is that the people saying insurance companies 'fleece' everyone are not seeing the whole picture. For one, insurance companies are CONSTANTLY fighting fraud. For some reason many people who would never steal something from a store or home, feel just fine turning in a bogus or exaggerated insurance claim. I used to work with insurance attorneys regularly in EUOs (Examination Under Oath) and the amount of crooked people out there is a lot more than most people realize. It's epidemic, imo. Also along these lines are all the bottom feeder law firms that exist solely to extort money over slip and falls and car accidents that insurers have to fight. And med mal of course. To a large degree you can think those individuals for the prices we're all paying.
You need to come up with a better argument....

Progressive netted $1.9 billion in Q4 2023, a 141% increase from the $826.4 million the company netted in Q4 2022, according to the company’s December earnings release.

The company’s net income for 2023 is $3.9 billion, more than a 400% increase from 2022.

Allstate annual gross profit for 2023 was $14.953B, a 14.1% increase from 2022. Allstate annual gross profit for 2022 was $13.105B, a 35.2% decline from 2021. Allstate annual gross profit for 2021 was $20.223B, a 4.46% increase from 2020.

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company reported a $3.5 billion increase in net worth and remains financially strong. The State Farm life insurance companies reported over $725 million in dividends to policyholders and issued a record $118 billion in new policy volume bringing the year-end 2023 individual life insurance in force to $1.1 trillion. As the number one Auto and Homeowners insurer in the U.S. and a leader in individual life insurance, State Farm is committed to serving its policyholders and remains a strong choice for insurance and financial services needs.

Back