AllState anti theft, what is it?

Hello folks,

I am trying to work with a dealership in NH for a new vehicle. They sent me a quote with pricing. It includes Government fee $595 (claims to be State tax), $199 for Allstate Anti theft security coding, and $500 doc fee. All these fees are mandatory.

There is a separate line for total taxes (excluding above charges).

Can anyone make any sense out of it? I could not find any information on Allstate Anti theft security coding.

If I don't get satisfactory answers, I plan to back out of the deal. But before I do that, I need to make sure these are not real items.

Thanks in advance.

The doc fee is negotiable but whether the dealer is willing to budge or not is a different story. The “government fee” sounds like a scam to me especially if they’re not part of the other taxes you mentioned. This is what I found for the Allstate theft thing, definitely not worth $200 IMO.

IMG_7604.jpg

The doc fee is negotiable but whether the dealer is willing to budge or not is a different story. The “government fee” sounds like a scam to me especially if they’re not part of the other taxes you mentioned. This is what I found for the Allstate theft thing, definitely not worth $200 IMO.

View attachment 157832

Spend $199 to possibly chase down $500 in the very unlikely event your car gets stolen. Sounds like a deal to me! :rolleyes:

All 3 sound like scams. I'd play other dealers and see who blinks the most. In Texas the doc fee scam is only $150. They have to sell the car to someone but you don't have to buy the car. Gives you some leverage, a sale in the hand today or how many days/weeks paying floorplan fees on that inventory?

Thanks you, everyone.

I was willing to deal with this dealer because they were selling at MSRP. No mention of these fees earlier. Others still wanted $3K over MSRP for a hybrid that is not even built yet.

The way they were pushing, I doubt they will back off, but I willing to pass the sale. I am so fed up with this BS.

Thanks you, everyone.

I was willing to deal with this dealer because they were selling at MSRP. No mention of these fees earlier. Others still wanted $3K over MSRP for a hybrid that is not even built yet.

The way they were pushing, I doubt they will back off, but I willing to pass the sale. I am so fed up with this BS.
I’d at least ask them to break down the “government fee.” If that’s plates and registration (not sure how it works in NH, that’s about what I paid to register my truck the 1st year I had it though), that might be reasonable.

Thanks you, everyone.

I bought two vehicles in the last 12 months. I always asked the following question. "Are there any other fees other than taxes, registration, Doc fee and tire recycling fee (state mandated) over the MSRP that you as a dealer are adding on?" Many were adding $5,000.00 over sticker.

I bought two vehicles in the last 12 months. I always asked the following question. "Are there any other fees other than taxes, registration, Doc fee and tire recycling fee (state mandated) over the MSRP that you as a dealer are adding on?" Many were adding $5,000.00 over sticker.

That's the way to do it. Get them to agree to drop any additional fees over email or text before you leave the house. If they refuse, contact another dealer. All the dealers have a click here for pricing button on their website, use a throwaway email and phone number to fill the form out. I've found about 50% of dealers will give you pricing over email, the other half just want to get you in the door. Don't fall for it, if they're difficult over email or phone I promise it won't get easier in person.

I've bought my last few vehicles this way and it has made the process a breeze. The ones that were easy to work with over email were great in person and didn't pull anything other than the usual add-ons in the F&I office like extended warranties and prepaid maintenance plans...and even they weren't too pushy.

Reactions: CKN
The doc fee that the Stealerships in Florida charge are NOT government mandated. Mostly it seems to be a charge that the stealerships pay to PRIVATE tag agencies to handle the title transfer and registration so they (the stealerships) don't have to pay an employee to wait in line at the county run tax offices. But I seriously doubt that the agencies are being paid anywhere near $500. And just to be clear, the $500 doesn't actually pay the sales tax or registration, those are all charged to the buyer separately.

The stealerships here will try to tell you that the doc fee is a "government" fee but it's not. It a considerable markup to the smaller fee that they pay a PRIVATE company so that they don't have to deal with the state and county GOV offices.

I also asked this question. Not only I asked this question but also told them I do not intend to anything above MSRP. If they charge anything, lets not waste each other's time.

After I saw these on the quote, I was blunt enough to tell them and show the email that we communicated earlier. When I was going back and forth, I contacted every possible dealer I could reach to, and almost everyone has had such BS fees+market adjustment and I had to compromise on what add-ons I wanted.

In the end, the reduced the BS charges by $500, and I ended up paying $300.

When I pick up the vehicle, I do plan to bring this topic. With the current car gone, we are in a real pickle. I do need car sooner and don't have time or stamina to argue any further.

Reactions: CKN
My dealer has several brands in their auto group. They do not add any markup and they do not add any bogus extras like sealants etc. to any vehicle, ever. The most one will ever pay is sticker price plus the taxes etc. on all car sales. Added bonus, a visit to the island and the option to eat at an excellent Mexican restaurant in business since 1916. http://www.theoriginalgalveston.com/

My dealer has several brands in their auto group. They do not add any markup and they do not add any bogus extras like sealants etc. to any vehicle, ever. The most one will ever pay is sticker price plus the taxes etc. on all car sales. Added bonus, a visit to the island and the option to eat at an excellent Mexican restaurant in business since 1916. http://www.theoriginalgalveston.com/
I had an option of getting the car from TX. It is not possible for me to go down and drive back home, and the shipping is $1600 minimum. That defeats the deal.

I recommend either delaying the purchase until the vehicle supply issues have been resolved, or switch to the non-hybrid version of this vehicle, or switch do a different vehicle altogether (probably from a different manufacturer). Paying MSRP isn't a good deal.

I recommend either delaying the purchase until the vehicle supply issues have been resolved, or switch to the non-hybrid version of this vehicle, or switch do a different vehicle altogether (probably from a different manufacturer). Paying MSRP isn't a good deal.
I completely agree, and was ready to back off the deal, but my SO is not in favor of getting a pre-owned car. Delaying the purchase is not an option as I need the car for commuting because public transport is not an option.

Back