Alligators

This guy has taken up residence in a pond very near my house. I'd guess he's at least 6'. I've lived with lots of wildlife, deer, bears, snakes but this is my first encounter with a 'gator. NC wildlife rangers won't remove anything <9'. My HOA doesn't seem to interested to hire a private service. I wouldn't mind but there are a bunch of geese with goslings that are going to be on the menu soon. Guess 'till he moves on, I'll just keep my kitty inside.

Anybody else have experience with these critters?

View attachment 218068
Been around them for years in their settings - biggest risk is a female with little ones … Then there are those folks who think some are more tame - suddenly have an empty dog leash - 😵‍💫
Also, stay away from their sides (not as well armored) - they don’t like people to a side …

He won’t be leaving any time soon with the abundance of baby geese. Lol.

If this was a regular occurrence, I’d be putting up a gator proof fence around my backyard.

If this was a regular occurrence, I’d be putting up a gator proof fence around my backyard.

1715091756139.jpg

i thought this was a thread about truck tire tread in the lane! Thankfully we don't have those but have rattlesnakes instead.
We have those too in the Carolinas, 3 different types for rattlers alone. Never mind Copperheads and whatever else. I guess why we dont have a rodent problem here. :unsure:

Couple years back on my neighbors lawn while my wife was walking the dog. Actually is a really cool looking snake. It was getting dark and even with the flash of the camera phone he just kept slowly moving along. Im used to snakes scrambling away, this guy just took his time. First time I saw a copperhead. We have tons of innocent (but get quite large) black rat snakes or something like that. The babies would always scramble when I was cutting the lawn.

Here is the copperhead. Beautiful snake, photo does not quite do it justice. (but kind of proud of the photo*LOL*)

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 11.05.14 AM.jpg

Last edited:
This guy has taken up residence in a pond very near my house. I'd guess he's at least 6'. I've lived with lots of wildlife, deer, bears, snakes but this is my first encounter with a 'gator. NC wildlife rangers won't remove anything <9'. My HOA doesn't seem to interested to hire a private service. I wouldn't mind but there are a bunch of geese with goslings that are going to be on the menu soon. Guess 'till he moves on, I'll just keep my kitty inside.

View attachment 218068

Keep him around. This species has been around for over 1 million years.

We have those too in the Carolinas, 3 different types for rattlers alone. Never mind Copperheads and whatever else. I guess why we dont have a rodent problem here. :unsure:

Couple years back on my neighbors lawn while my wife was walking the dog. Actually is a really cool looking snake. It was getting dark and even with the flash of the camera phone he just kept slowly moving along. Im used to snakes scrambling away, this guy just took his time. First time I saw a copperhead. We have tons of innocent (but get quite large) black rat snakes or something like that. The babies would always scramble when I was cutting the lawn.

Here is the copperhead. Beautiful snake, photo does not quite do it justice. (but kind of proud of the photo*LOL*)

View attachment 218180
Hate them because they're so difficult to see in the pine forests. The side of my house is shaded and all pine straw. I'm starting to lose my nerve walking back there because it's just a matter of time.

Here is the copperhead. Beautiful snake
One bit my dog years ago in my back yard. Got him in the meaty part of his back leg. Took him to the local vet who was very used to snake bitten dogs. An antibiotic and steroid injection fixed him up. I think because he was a big dog, 75lbs. and the snake didn't envenomate him much it was a minor injury. Snakes generally don't waste their venom on things that are non prey. Might have been a different outcome with a toddler.

Be careful with copperheads.

One bit my dog years ago in my back yard. Got him in the meaty part of his back leg. Took him to the local vet who was very used to snake bitten dogs. An antibiotic and steroid injection fixed him up. I think because he was a big dog, 75lbs. and the snake didn't envenomate him much it was a minor injury. Snakes generally don't waste their venom on things that are non prey. Might have been a different outcome with a toddler.

Be careful with copperheads.
After your experience I would feel exactly as you do. Glad it turned out ok.

View attachment 218068
You have a firearm. Simple case of self defense

You have a firearm. Simple case of self defense
I've watched enough episodes of that "Swamp" show to know that having a gun and killing an alligator isn't just that simple. You have to hit it in a fairly small spot on the back of their skull.

I've watched enough episodes of that "Swamp" show to know that having a gun and killing an alligator isn't just that simple. You have to hit it in a fairly small spot on the back of their skull.

Back