All "Green" Coolants created equally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently I'm using JD Cool-Gard and need to do a t-stat change on my 05 Colorado. I have to travel to get the JD coolant and it's $16gal, so I think I'll use a plain ethylene glycol this time. Any recommendations on brand? BTW, I switched to coolgard 4yrs ago after dumping the dexcool.

Hello, Do double check this....I read where your coolant, JD Cool Gard, is green colored G-05. IF that's the case, you needn't drive so far for coolant. Like I said, double check that one. Merry Christmas Kira

Originally Posted By: Keith_Stone
Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, Do double check this....I read where your coolant, JD Cool Gard, is green colored G-05. IF that's the case, you needn't drive so far for coolant. Like I said, double check that one. Merry Christmas Kira

It's a HOAT, based on this thread. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1696012

I would think you are fine with using G-05 even though its not identical. Its the same basic chemistry (HOAT). You do not need to worry about cylinder liner cavitation unless you have a wet liner diesel.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Kira

It's a HOAT, based on this thread. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1696012

I would think you are fine with using G-05 even though its not identical. Its the same basic chemistry (HOAT). You do not need to worry about cylinder liner cavitation unless you have a wet liner diesel.

It's probably no big deal in my gasser. I may just use a plain EG. At the time I dumped the dexcool and flushed, I used a cheap EG for 1K miles and then changed to JD Cool-Gard thinking I wanted a long life coolant. I don't know how long I'll keep the truck so I'll keep the cost down.

John Deere Coolguard is not a silicate free coolant. Chevys need to have a silicate free coolant according the OM. I have thought about using the coolguard myself. Its too expensive as well. I use the prestone dexcool at wallymart or the regular extended life stuff would be fine. Cheap too.

Why dump the CoolGard after 4 years? Its an extended life coolant that at the very least needs an SCA charge, more than likely needs nothing.

I have CoolGard in service in engines approaching 20 years without issue.

Coolgard isn't comparable without other older formulations of green coolant as its long-life, its compatable with most coolant formulations.

As I remember it was rated at 5 years/5,000 hrs. service life and with periodic checking/refurbishing additives it can last a very long time.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Why dump the Dex to begin with?

The Dex started to become a little cloudy and had some particulates in suspension.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Why dump the CoolGard after 4 years? Its an extended life coolant that at the very least needs an SCA charge, more than likely needs nothing.

I have CoolGard in service in engines approaching 20 years without issue.

Coolgard isn't comparable without other older formulations of green coolant as its long-life, its compatable with most coolant formulations.

As I remember it was rated at 5 years/5,000 hrs. service life and with periodic checking/refurbishing additives it can last a very long time.

Got to change a stat(side mount) and hate to make the drive to buy some top off. On this motor I'll lose 1-1.5gals.

Currently I'm using JD Cool-Gard and need to do a t-stat change on my 05 Colorado. I have to travel to get the JD coolant and it's $16gal, so I think I'll use a plain ethylene glycol this time. Any recommendations on brand? BTW, I switched to coolgard 4yrs ago after dumping the dexcool.

Prestone AMAM(all makes all models) is good, and though I hate WM, their version is supposedly the same stuff. There was a thread on it here awhile back.

Originally Posted By: George7941
If the rad has a drain you could reuse what you drain out.

No drain, but I think I'll pull the lower radiator hose and catch in a clean bucket and strain it if necessary to re-use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back