All front end parts are worn out on the dodge.

If this is a work truck how much $ are you making off it in 100k? Many fleets keep them for 100-150k then dump them. They have used the good $ making part of the truck up at that point it’s paid for itself many times over. They can still get good trade or sale money for it then

If it’s personal use that still like 5 or more years of use. Wouldn’t be mad putting a couple $100 in ball joints in every 5-6 years

All "domestic" trucks have their issues. We replace just as many steering/suspension parts on Ford & GM trucks as we do FCA. My '11 Ram 1500 just turned 178k and the only things I've replaced on it due to failure were the outer tie rod ends and one hub assy. I've replaced the shocks and struts on mileage. Some people just get luckier than others. I'm sure the way the trucks are used have a lot to do with it also.
My sister in laws dodge 1500 has like a 130k on it I drive it a couple times a year when I get to be the designated driver. Quite an adjustment from my sloppy trucks.

Do semi trucks have front end issues with all their weight?
I have some exposure to HD equipment, the rearend gears and sungears can last 1,000,000 miles

Ball joints are a mixed bag with a variety of random but similar designs either with or without gear zerks.

Generally those with grease points can potentially last decades if you grease them constantly.
The sealed ones are a nope and have a specific lifespan.

Sadly as with all things different use cases and designs can be total garbage to almost bulletproof.

Dust covers sometimes need constant replacement

I have some exposure to HD equipment, the rearend gears and sungears can last 1,000,000 miles

Ball joints are a mixed bag with a variety of random but similar designs either with or without gear zerks.

Generally those with grease points can potentially last decades if you grease them constantly.
The sealed ones are a nope and have a specific lifespan.

Sadly as with all things different use cases and designs can be total garbage to almost bulletproof.

Dust covers sometimes need constant replacement
Both my dodge cummins have over 200k still on the original ujoints and rear end. Or atleast the 07. I don't see why the 99 I just bought wouldn't have the original rear differential too.

Both my dodge cummins have over 200k still on the original ujoints and rear end. Or atleast the 07. I don't see why the 99 I just bought wouldn't have the original rear differential too.
You asked about a semi,
HD Equipment especially that designed for 80,000lbs-200,000lbs 80% off-road (which I’m most accustomed to) is very different with extremely variable lifespans.

07-12 Silverados are the same way 100,000 miles and it’s ball joint time, especially if you actually use it like a truck.
Just balljoints isn't that much. Maybe like $500 to have it done. The expensive part is when the control arm bushings go bad

Oh I know, the question is why doesn't dodge fix these things.
Because they sell every unit they make? no incentive to fix, I’d say.

Stuff used to wear out quite reliably like this, only we drive more today, and own longer.

I've found from experience that universal joints without grease fittings last longer than the ones that have them, but ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. that don't have fittings don't.

Because they sell every unit they make? no incentive to fix, I’d say.

Stuff used to wear out quite reliably like this, only we drive more today, and own longer.
It's not like we have much of a selection ford, doge, or chevy. Or toyota if you don't need a full sized truck

It's not like we have much of a selection ford, doge, or chevy. Or toyota if you don't need a full sized truck
Toyota makes a full size, but not 3/4 or larger.

Although I don’t know much about their last update. Not sure if they have a RCLB but not sure how 1/2T are still available like that?

My 2017 Ram 3500 has 157,000km and has seen some serious weight behind it. I found a bit of play in the ball joints this past year. From what I gather, the upper king pin has remained unchanged from 2003 and up, or whenever they switched to the AAM axles. Since about 2013, the 3500s got upsized lower joints but they are probably still undersized and poor quality.

My 2017 Ram 3500 has 157,000km and has seen some serious weight behind it. I found a bit of play in the ball joints this past year. From what I gather, the upper king pin has remained unchanged from 2003 and up, or whenever they switched to the AAM axles. Since about 2013, the 3500s got upsized lower joints but they are probably still undersized and poor quality.
yes, 2003 is when they switched from dana to AAM

Back