Algae biofuel not sustainable now-U.S. research co

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks molekule. I read every article that was linked at the bottom. The diamond planet is pretty cool stuff,.or that the moon was formed from a celestial body impacting the earth and broke off a chunk.
Interesting stuff. I wonder how much is actual fact or are the writers just spit-balling ideas?

There is no "the solution", and for every technology, the proponents see it fixing everything everywhere, while the opponents see it failing everywhere.

I like the idea of algal fuels, but they make sense located near power stations, where CO2 and low grade heat abounds, and the site typically has a large buffer zone around it.

An algae factory in the desert isn't much use, as it all needs to be brought to it.

As to what's sustainable, there's only a limited budget of energy that's arriving fresh every day, and ultimately, that's the only "sustainable" total global energy consumption...digging up reserves at an exponentially increasing rate certainly isn't a long term prospect.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
There is no "the solution", and for every technology, the proponents see it fixing everything everywhere, while the opponents see it failing everywhere.

I like the idea of algal fuels, but they make sense located near power stations, where CO2 and low grade heat abounds, and the site typically has a large buffer zone around it.

An algae factory in the desert isn't much use, as it all needs to be brought to it.

As to what's sustainable, there's only a limited budget of energy that's arriving fresh every day, and ultimately, that's the only "sustainable" total global energy consumption...digging up reserves at an exponentially increasing rate certainly isn't a long term prospect.

Exactly, every technology has its limit. There is no way with today's grid and power plant can every car on the road be electric, and algae will be limited by the CO2, fertilizer, and water source, as well as solar limited by the suitable locations with much sun and AC usage.

But that doesn't means there aren't any low hanging fruits we can get from algae. If nothing else it would be good for recouping some power plant waste heat and emission and municipal gray water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back