Air Filter Efficiency Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all

Well, i'm getting ready to change the air filter in the F-150 pretty soon, and I just have a couple questions about filter efficiency.

I noticed most oil filter manufacturers publish specific efficiency #'s, like 98% @ >20microns.
But I've also noticed that almost none of the air filter numbers are as widely published, if at all.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

I was originally going to go with a fram air filter, but after looking around, the AFE Pro Dry S has captured my interest. The only thing i,m worried about, is if it's going to filter enough sand and dust compared to OEM or fram.

So, what's the BITOG community say on this? Does anyone have actual filter efficiency numbers for Motorcraft, Fram, Wix, and the AFE pro Dry S?

Thank you

Just run a paper filter dosent matter which brand I have one of the cheapest paper filters available and it's doing great uoa was right on par with averages I've had the replacement filters like afe kn airaid ect and you don't gain anything just a lighter wallet the stock filter flows plenty of air and filters really well

Any paper filter would work. WIX, Purolator, Fram, OEM etc.

Depending on your environment, you might want to consider something oiled too.

The short answer is no. The AFE Pro Dry S is a fantastic filter and does usually provide very low Si levels in UOAs on this site. I had one for my Escape and really liked it. It is constructed VERY rugged and durable but not much surface area at all. They don't have much holding capacity compared to most everything else.

It does filter MUCH better than a K&N but not quite as good as an AEM Dryflow. If you want a reusable filter with high filtering, AEM Dryflow is going to get very close with AFE Pro Dry S coming in right behind.

The Fram air filters are about as good as it gets with paper filters IMO if it fits your application. If their filter doesn't fit well, go with something that does.

Thanks for the answers everyone. I'll probably just buy a fram filter for now, seeing how the price for a re-usable won't save me any money for... 10+ years? haha

Anyways, I figured actual filtering efficiency numbers wouldn't be too easy to find, but I thought i'd try.

Again, thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back