Air cooled dirt bike oil????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 2002 Suzuki DRZ 250 and i have no idea what oil to put in it all it says is 10W-40, The bike is 4-stroke, air cooled but... has next to no cooling fins but has a small oil cooler so therefore the 1.1 litres of oil is doing probably 85% of the cooling. Need a little help!?!?!?

See what oil is popular on the forum for that bike. I'd think a 15W40 dino (e.g. Rotella T) would be great.

Those little air cooled engines made by Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki will run for years on cheap oil and little to no maintenance.

IMO I would run 15w-40 in the winter and 20w-50 in the summer. Be prepared to get bashed by people telling you that you must run bike oil in it.

In years past, when I raced an XR600R (air cooled), we found Mobil 1 15-50 (was red cap back then) to be the best oil. The engines held up very well with that oil. Contrasted with some "motorcycle specific" oils at the time, Mobil 1 was a SUPERIOR oil. The M1 eliminated some piston ring and valve tappet/camshaft problems that were becoming expensive.

Mobil 1 MX4t is a great product. Use the proper 10-40 for your bike. FYI, MX4t has high levels of ZDDP (anti wear) (you may know that ZDDP has been reduced in most automotive oils today). MX4t is also a full Group 4 synthetic, able to handle the heat of an air cooled engine without breaking down.

I see MX4t at the local WalMart from time to time. WalMart is cheap by comparison to the bike shops.

The M1 20-50 V-twin oil is also a very good oil. If you must run thicker oil. This is among the very best! I ran it in my turbo miata (33 pounds boost!) with excellent results.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back