Aiming headlights, specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is a 1991 Chevrolet K1500 pickup. I know that there is a way to aim headlights yourself. So many places do not do it anymore and the body shop wants about $40 last time I checked. Pretty sure that mine are way out of whack! The process that I read about was to get a certain distance from a garge door,tape two pieces of paper with an X on them to the garage door, and use those to adjust the lights. Where do I find the specs for my vehicle's lights (how high/wide to aim them)? How far back do I need to be from the garage door, how big do I need to draw the X's, and how high and far apart do I need to place the X's?

You'll get as many different methods as you'll get answers. They are all probably "right" too. In the end, if you just need to obtain a) good coverage (forward, down, sides) and b) not blind oncoming drivers, that's all that matters.

My son and I used a procedure that is in my G35's FSM (I think). He came to my work, pulled the car inside, positioned the car the set distance, warehouse lights off, blocked one headlight while we adjusted the other, and so on and so on. We had them set "by the book", we thought .... and he said everyone flashed their brights at him that night on the way to work. We then just 'lowered' the aiming a half-screw turn or full turn (using our garage door for reference) and he went for a quick drive. The idea was if no one flashes their brights, we'll leave it alone. If people do, we do another turn or so. No one flashed their brights after our 2nd tweak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back