Aftermarket Headlight Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A coworker asked me today about needing a replacement headlight on her Altima. Ive never had to deal with this before, so I am unsure. Ive been doing some research and come across two brands TYC and Depo. Ive never heard of either of them. She was quoted ballpark $400 for a new one installed at the dealership, so she wants something cheaper that I will help her install.
Anyone have an insight on these or experience with aftermarket headlights?
Thanks!

TYC tend to be good quality, had some in my grand am and they performed like the OEM's after the accident I had. $400 is just a ridiculous quote for a new headlight install... the lights are maybe 100 online, and take 30 mins to install another 30 to angle.

Help her out, win some brownie points
11.gif

I put Depo Tail lights in my grand prix a few year ago, fit and quality were good.
Still no separation like the much more expensive OEM which was the reason for changing them in the first place.

I used their headlights in a few cars over the years and the fit/finish was good as was the light beam focus. All in all i found them decent for the money, i will buy them again.

TYC's were worthless in my Honda Civic. Had to get my Insurance company to authorize replacing them with OEM after I realized I couldn't see more than 10 feet in front of the car in the dark. n=1, but once the replacements got replaced, I could see again.

Since its not for my car, and she sits in my department and is more of an acquaintance, I would rather just spend 30 minutes installing it on a weekend as opposed to wasting time trying to find the best deal.
Plus at the end of the day, ive helped a few others in the past, and the old saying "No good deed goes unpunished" still holds true, so let see what comes of it. If the light quality is terrible or she dosent like it, I can always just say, "well you bought it, not me!"

Just an FYI TYC and DEPO light have been tested and without question, nearly all of them fail DOT standards. Regardless of how they 'appear' to be good by the naked eye, photometric measurements are the only accurate way to define good beam pattern...and DEPO and TYC don't have it.

Go to a wrecker and get a used OEM one.

Last edited:
I had aftermarket DEPO headlights in my Neon SRT-4, and they were very good. Fitment was a little iffy in one spot, but the light output was OEM quality. IIRC, some SRT-4's came with DEPO headlights from the factory (I'm thinking the 2003's did)... I think it was a factory option briefly to get the 'blacked-out' ones. Aka, the parts of the headlight that didn't reflect light were black.

Thanks for the all the help.
Coworker ended up buying some cheap headlight, not TYC or Depo, from a parts store in her area of town. Cost her $75 for it, I installed it for her today. Some cheap asian-knockoff. Very poor quality, it was daylight when I put it in, I dont want to bring up the issue of beam quality. Im guessing its going to be trash. Oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back