AEM Dryflow

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't have a velocity stack since they don't have one engineer in their company.

quote:

Originally posted by outersquare:

quote:

Originally posted by biomed_eng_2000:
I would estimate that 90% of all name brand aftermarket filters have some type of velocity stack. Maybe 40 years ago the concept of a velocity stack was new, but now, it's so common that most companies have it but don't even bother to mention it.

unfortunately the fujita filters do not have this.

quote:

I would estimate that 90% of all name brand aftermarket filters have some type of velocity stack. Maybe 40 years ago the concept of a velocity stack was new, but now, it's so common that most companies have it but don't even bother to mention it.

quote:

The AEM dryflow is made of polyester. Get a cleaner that will not damage polyester and you'll be fine. I gather since many clothes are made from polyester that most clothes washing detergents will work just fine.

Good advice. I've decided to clean my AEM dryflow filter every 10-15k miles, using a modest amount of mild, unchlorinated laundry detergent, followed by a few rinses in really hot water.
cheers.gif

another thing that blows about their filters is there is no stop/lip to prevent the intake from being mounted too far in.

quote:

It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't have a velocity stack since they don't have one engineer in their company.

quote:

Originally posted by outersquare:

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by LAGA:
I have had one on my Ram 1500 5.7 with a K&N FIPK since March. After 4K miles, I took it off and inspected the inside of the tube and it was very clean. Just a slight coating of really fine dust, like baby powder. I did not experience any difference in millage or performance, but I like the fact that I was able to clean it with a degreaser and not have to oil it like a K&N. I never had a problem with the 3 K&N filters I have run on different vehicles in the past. This just seems to be a lot easier.

my intake also seemed to have a little bit of dust in it, which doesn't seem to happen with stock snorkel, i wonder if it's because it's harder to seal a metal intake than a plastic/rubber snorkel.

Filters that have no velocity stack built in won't have that lip. The lip is there so the intake pipe will meet flush against it so there's nothing for the air to hit and get disturbed.

Recent oil analysis (11,900 miles) of Schaefer's Supreme 9000 5W40 with AEM Dryflow filter came back with 7 PPM of Silicon. AEM filter had roughly 17,000 miles of usage. This sample was during the dusty summer period including farming, harvesting, dusty county roads, dusty logging roads. 1999 Dodge Cummins Pickup had 162,740 miles on it and has roughly 380 ponies under the hood.

As an aside, mileage dropped about 1 MPG before I cleaned the filter after the oil change. After the cleaning of the air filter, it is right back there at 22-23 MPG on the highway. The solution and method of cleaning did not get all of the dirt in the deep crevasses but cleaned it enough not to worry about it.

As far as I can tell, the filters in my tractors are also polyester, or something similar. Neither are new (one is an '89 the other a '70) but you can wash them in soapy water, rinse them in clear water, let them dry and go-a-plowin'. No oil. I put a similar setup from a mid '70s Case tractor on my 4x4, eliminating the oiled cotton gauze filter. I haven't done any research on how long these types of filter have been here, but if they are nothing new (1970, fer Pete's sake!), why didn't we have them sooner?
pat2.gif

I've had a K&N FIPK on my Jeep for a while now. I'd like to use the tube from the K&N kit and switch to the AEM dryflow filter. My question is inlet size. Should I measure from inside to inside of the intake tube or outer to outer to get an accurate measurement. Those AEM's come in 1/4 inch increments so I figured it would be worth double checking. Any help is appreciated.

outer to outer; aka the total outside diameter of the intake tube as the measurements for cone filters are for the inside diameter of the flange. Inside diameter of air filter flange = outside diameter of intake tube.

Quote:

As far as I can tell, the filters in my tractors are also polyester, or something similar. Neither are new (one is an '89 the other a '70) but you can wash them in soapy water, rinse them in clear water, let them dry and go-a-plowin'. No oil. I put a similar setup from a mid '70s Case tractor on my 4x4, eliminating the oiled cotton gauze filter. I haven't done any research on how long these types of filter have been here, but if they are nothing new (1970, fer Pete's sake!), why didn't we have them sooner?
pat2.gif

I'm thinking that there is something different between the old tractor filters that you are talking about and the new filters that AEM has come out with. Otherwise, there would probably be some serious copyright lawsuits going on right now.

Since I have got this filter, I have logged a ton of miles. My last OCI was about 8,000 miles. Living in a rural community of Idaho, I see a lot of dirt roads and dust. When I did my oil analysis, I only had 8ppm silicon.. The filter seems to be going its job nicely!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back