Advice Required: Snapon for Pro Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I am building my tool set for work.

I was wondering, I get 40% off right now on Snapon stuff.

What I was planning on doing was getting a bunch of ratchets (1/4, 3/8, 1/2" drives fixed and flexhead versions of each) from the Snapon dealer.

I was also going to get the Snapon upper/lower Classic tool box as we have a special for the two for 1000$. This is mainly to avoid being in a situation where a boss prefers to see Snapon in his shop (dealership) and it may give you an edge to get a job (this is me dreaming this up btw, maybe nobody cares hopefully).

Also, the Snapon tool box deal isn't that much more expensive than poor quality, and I can repair the rollers from the Snapon truck if a drawer breaks. Dealing with Canadian Tire may be impossible.

Also, I was going to get a Metric set of Bluepoint ratcheting wrenches, the flex head ones.

Then my plan is to use Gearwrench brand, SK etc. for my sockets, universal joint sockets, 6pt 12pt shallow deep, extensions, combination wrenches, pliers, cutters, etc etc...

So I was figuring to just have Snapon where it counts and where you can feel it, and maybe buy more Snapon down the line as I gain experience, and learn the pros and cons to justify more Snapon...

Any suggestions? Am I on the right track? Or should I just bite it and get a whole basic set of tools including pliers and screwdrivers all Snapon now? I have the money set aside for this, but I want to do what makes sense too.

Thanks a lot guys!

I like your idea about the Snap-On box. It presents a good image, even if it's not fully populated with Snap-On tools. Of course, you know the Snap-On guy is going to want you to populate it with Snap-On tools.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Snap On tools are of the highest quality and have been highly respected by professional mechanics for decades. I use mostly Mac tools because my neighbor was a Mac dealer for many years. I believe that you can't go wrong by buying either Snap ON or Mac tools as they will last for many years. I'm still using Mac tools that I bought in the mid 60's and I use Snap On and Blue Point tools that my father bought in the 30's.

For professional use where the tools are the foundation of your career?

I wouldn't hesitate to invest in solid, quality tools, especially if the price for the box is only marginally higher than the shadetree mechanic's set.

I agree with finding a balance with your tools-some will take some serious abuse and daily use and you'll want to invest in the very best, some that will only be used on occasion can be of (still good) lesser quality.

Don't discount finding used Snap On tools and other quality tools. There are a lot of mechanics that got into the business, then soon got back out (or retired). A great deal of my tools, including a few Snap On tools, were purchased used and a significant discount over new. In fact, I'm going to an auction today that should have a number of tools available.

I have a tool box full of Snap On and Craftsman. If it matters to you, these two brands have the most US made product (but not all of it is, and Bluepoint is mostly import) available. However, the one "must" have product for a professional mechanic is the Snap On screwdrivers. I've had phillips head screws totally stripped and the Snap On screwdriver gets it out if there are even the slightest bit of bite to be had.

Been wrenchin for 30 years snap-on is good but the price is crazy on some stuff. At 40 percent off though go for it. I have snap on stuff that I bought starting out and still going strong.

Snap On is excellent stuff, if you can get 40% off I would buy as much of it as possible. You're also right to get a modest box and spend the majority on the actual tools. Boxes don't make you any money.

I have never worked at a shop where they really cared what brand your tools were. They do care that you have a good quality complete set.

Tool trucks are independent businesses and as such they are a bit variable. You may find that the MAC, Matco, or Cornwell guy is better about showing up. Most of my stuff is MAC because he is the one that you could count on to show up every week at the shop I worked in the longest.

Perhaps things have changed, I did bring my tools home about 20 years ago.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Snap On is excellent stuff, if you can get 40% off I would buy as much of it as possible. You're also right to get a modest box and spend the majority on the actual tools.

^^ This. If you are able to get new tools for below used tool prices, you should take full advantage of it.

Also, make sure to get a set of the flare nut wrenches - you will thank yourself every time you use them. The ratcheting screwdriver is a very popular one too.

Good luck on the new career.

If I got 40% off on Snap On, that would be all that I own...their quality is simply the best...and the price usually is very high...

My box is mostly Craftsman, a bit of SK and some German specialty stuff for the MBs I've owned. One big advantage of Snap On for you is the service of the truck - saves you shopping or traveling to get the tools that you need. Your time is made more efficient by that service.

That's a great deal on the Snap-on box. It will hold the value and get you the same money when/if you upgrade down the line. Just don't go deep into debt for some tools and get your basic tools covered. You're definitely on the right track with getting some high end tools that you'll be beating on each day. Then your normal over the counter tools can fill the gap to keep the prices down.

If I had to borrow something more than 3 times from someone it would be time for me to buy it. Just make sure you really like the occupation because it's quite the investment. A close friend of mine is looking to change occupations. He's an amazing master tech and makes really good money. All the b.s. and problems he has to deal with just about drives him nuts. Either way good luck with your career!

Thanks guys I have the 40% off with Snapon until May 8th next year.

I am going to get the flare nut wrenches as Gabe suggested as I heard that cheap ones open up and round the line nuts.

I'll go ahead and beef up my order with Snapon, like maybe get some Bluepoint combo wrenches as well so I don't round nuts as much as I live in the Rust Belt.

Any other Snapon "must haves" for working on Toyotas and Hondas?

Thanks!!

Chisels, hooks, and picks are good things to have backed by Snap-On's warranty.

Working on those two brands I would suggest having a spare:

combo wrench in 10mm and 17mm
1/4" drive 6 point shallow socket 8mm and 10mm
10mm ratcheting box wrench
1/4" drive 6 point deep socket 10mm
3/8" drive 6 point shallow socket 12mm and 14mm
3/8" drive shallow swivel socket in 12mm
3/8" drive intermediate depth swivel socket in 10mm and 14mm

When the tool you use all day every day decides to slip because it's worn it's good to have a fresh one to use until you can get it replaced under warranty.

When you find a pair of pliers that you really like, buy five of them even if they're $100 each because someone else will like them too and they'll disappear. Two isn't enough. Five should last until you find another nice pair of pliers.

Don't waste your money on Bluepoint wrenches. They are not snap-on. If you want the quality buy Snap-on or Matco wrenches. Possibly Mac I have not used any of their wrenches. If you just want something longer than your standard home owner wrenches get Craftsman professional, Kobalt, Husky or Duralast.

Snap-on built ratchets. their wrench line was named Bluepoint. Now they sell wrenches under both names. You can find the Blue Point products only on the Snap on site. They are mostly American made in the Kastar factory. Some are imported. I have both and I have never had a problem with a Blue Point wrench OR a Snap on one. I have returned Craftsman and SK for warranty replacement though.

Last edited:
The bluepoint wrenches are made in taiwan. It says so right on the snap on website. They are not flank drive like the snap on either. Our snap on guy tried to sell me a set of the blue point wrenches. I just laughed at him and said if I wanted Taiwan tools I would go to Harbor Freight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back