Advice on Registering Canadian Car In U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter currently has my 1998 Civic in Florida as she goes to school there for the next four years. She has decided not to drive back to Canada for her five weeks off this summer. She has Florida insurance.
Can anyone tell me what she has to do to get the car registered and plated in Florida? There is one concern with the vehicle. The check engine light is on and she was told that the Evap caniser or valve is the problem. She was told it would be at least a $400 repair. Does she have to pass an emissions test like she had to in Ontario? If so, would they pass a car with a check enigine light on?
Thanks for any advice.

My concern would be does the underhood emission sticker say meets US standards? A candadian car can come from a different VIN range and not be registerable. They might also have a conniption over the odometer measuring kilometeres of all things.

However an undergrad has their choice of home jurisdiction or state of residence. Worst she can do is ask. There is no emission or safety inspection in Florida.

You need to ask this question at your DMV. I once bought a truck that was originally destined for Mexico. Registering it was not too bad but getting it through an emission test every 2 years was a pain.

I would have to "Pay off" the smog guy to pass it since it didn't have USA emissions on it.

Thanks for the quick replies.I talked to the Ministry of Transportation here in Ontario and they had no idea what the procedure would be in Florida.

I don't know how Florida would be, but I would guess that it would be easier to get a Canadian car registered in many states than a non-California car registered in California.

A friend of mine drove his GMC Tracker down from Canada and got it registered here while attending UTA. GMC did not sell the Tracker in the States.

Texas did not have any problem with the speedometer or odometer in kilometers. I think the Canadian GMC Tracker is identical to a 49-state Chevrolet Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick. (with DRLs)

His did not have any emission problems though
21.gif
That may be a problem.

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
My daughter currently has my 1998 Civic in Florida as she goes to school there for the next four years. She has decided not to drive back to Canada for her five weeks off this summer. She has Florida insurance.
Can anyone tell me what she has to do to get the car registered and plated in Florida? There is one concern with the vehicle. The check engine light is on and she was told that the Evap caniser or valve is the problem. She was told it would be at least a $400 repair. Does she have to pass an emissions test like she had to in Ontario? If so, would they pass a car with a check enigine light on?
Thanks for any advice.

Give her the 450 for 4 years ..... it would be great in FL. (j/k)
If your 98 Honda is a Chatham car it must be getting quite "ripe" underneath. I had a 93 Accord in Wheatley for 14 yrs, I know.
She may be further ahead to buy a Florida car and bring it back when she's done school.

PB has a good idea. Florida is a great place to buy cars. Old people kick the bucket, then the kids scramble to divest the belongings, including cars. I've bought two from Florida myself. If you don't mind "old man" cars, you can get a great deal. And for the most part, they're rust-free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back