add on tire monitor system

Anyone ever used any of the tire pressure monitor systems I see for 50$ or sometimes less on a trailer? Had a blowout luckily caught in time to prevent furthur damage but could also be easily missed. Wondering if one of those systems would be cheap insurance to at least alert you it a tire was losing air or just came apart and you could stop right away.

Someone on here bought a TPMS kit from a Chinese-market Honda. Not a trailer, but they work the same way :unsure:

Do they make any runflat tires in trailer sizes?

I use one on my camper. Works ok, setup is the hardest part since the instructions are 'meh' at best.

I had a different version before that wouldn't work properly because the trailer was too far from the receiver. Version I have now has a repeater.

I still have the old one, would sell it cheap. :)

1697074941215.jpg

I have one of the $50 types sourced thru Amazon. They work pretty well for 2-3 years. Then need replacement. You can set the alarm to go off whenever the tire pressure gets below the preset level, and that is their real value.

Z

I use the cheap $50 ones on my car and my truck and they work fine. The better ones wake up faster. The one on my car gives me readings before I get out of the driveway, the one on the truck takes a mile or so before it starts. The big problem is they dont normally have the range for a long trailer. I had a more expensive unit ($200) on my RV because I wanted to keep an eye on the inside tires in the rear and a tow dolly. That one worked very well, you did not have to move to get a reading just turn it on and in about 5 mins all tires would give current readings and updated faster if you were in motion. I get about 2 years battery life, maybe a bit more then I just replace the batteries. They all come with a tool to unscrew the cap and a couple extra O ring seals.

This would be for a boat trailer so nothing overly long, guessing 20 feet cab to axles. It has 13" tandems, the fronts you can see in the mirror at just the right angle but the rear the only way you would see is if you saw pieces of tire being ejected out the side. If one of the 50$ units would work it might be worth a shot.

Ctechbob, message me what you want for it and whether you think it would have the range to work in my case. I might be interested in giving it a shot.

Anyone ever used any of the tire pressure monitor systems I see for 50$ or sometimes less on a trailer? Had a blowout luckily caught in time to prevent furthur damage but could also be easily missed. Wondering if one of those systems would be cheap insurance to at least alert you it a tire was losing air or just came apart and you could stop right away.

You should find one of the travel trailer sites. Those guys have lots to say about TPMS's for trailers. The one I go to most is RV.net: Forum

Back