AC Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend a good deal on AC filters? I recently bought the E-Z Flow 4 filters. A 4 pack costs just $3.25. The problem to me is they look really flimsy. The next option in price at HD was right around $10. each.

Are they more expensive ones worth it? Is there another place to buy cheaper?

AC Delco? They are just relabeled champion ecores from what i have seen. Never seen the cage break, but it sketches me out. Never seen an HD AC Delco so idk someone else might pipe in with that info.

Lowes credit's card has an always on 5% off anything you buy in store deal.

I think HomeDepot used to honor the 10%off Lowes coupons (used to be part of USPS moving package).

I don't do rentals anymore, but I used dicountfilters dot com to order one year supply.

Also if memory doesnt fail me, Ace Hardware used to have a rewards card which could give discounts sometime.

Hope it helps.

Memorial Day weekend is around the corner and everybody will have deals left and right....

I get mine at ACE usually but over the winter Walmart had some nice ones on clearance for 58 cents so I stocked up. Fred Meyer has some sales once and while. Never from Lowes or HD, overpriced in my town.

You need to look for specials for those filters. Use the online flyers to search.

Up here in Canada Costco has 3 pack of 3m purple filters when on sale for under $35 before taxes regular price is $45.

I picked up a 4 pack of 3m filters which had two cheap filters, one red and one purple for $20. That was a good deal.

I know you guys get better deals in the US.

I got twenty years out of my blower motor - the last five of which were continuously running - using pleated filters. I use the "basic" Merv7-8 filters. I added additional return air and a second filter grill to my system when it was about five years old. Because my filter grills are ceiling mounted I can check them easily and I replace the filters when I start to see the "bowl effect" happening. With continuous blower operation I get about two months out of my two filters instead of three. As a Lennox employee I buy them close to cost, about $2 each. I like the white noise effect and constant air circulation that results from having the blower on all the time. The effect on my electric bill has really been unnoticeable.

But, you are right in the low restriction practice. Trying to turn your HVAC system into HEPA filtration is a mistake unless you truly have specialized equipment.

A/C filters can range from those fibreglass ones that keep out small animals to MERV 16 that won't even let light through
21.gif
The prices have the same wide range.

You have to compare apples to apples re: prices

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
A/C filters can range from those fiberglass ones that keep out small animals to MERV 16 that won't even let light through
21.gif
The prices have the same wide range.

You have to compare apples to apples re: prices

I use them both in series. The mesh catches quite a lot of stuff, and keeps the expensive filters from loading up with nothing but fine debris.
To save money I buy in bulk, and not worry about it until I stumble onto a better deal.

Most AC duct work is to small and usually not enough return sad but true. Best bet is use basic fiberglass filters or have a good 4inch filter installed at the return. AC filters are for keeping the coil dust free.If you insist on pleated go with the lowest Merv number.

I get the merv 6-8 from amazon or ebay in a 12 pack. Mine used two 16 x 25 filters side by side. so a dozen is good for about two years.

Working fine for 18 years so far. Evap coils are relatively clean.

My system had a single 15" return duct when the house was new (4-ton system). The intake grill sounded like a vacuum cleaner. I built a return air plenum and added an additional 10" return duct pulling air from the opposite side of the house. Made a huge difference in the bowl effect at the main filter, quieted the whole system, and resulted in better temperature balance in the house. I don't think you could ever have too much return airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back