Absolutely great story- Elon not being held hostage and accepting fear from IT professionals

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the equivalent of a redneck backing his monster truck diesel dually up to a stump with some chains and then smashing the go pedal just because he doesn't want to be "held hostage by a professional arborist".

It MIGHT come out safely, but it might also take out his brains in the process.

No, for the reason javacontour indicated. Don't lap it up.

He put other people's businesses at risk and possibly decertifying the DC for lack of process, unauthorized people.

Yes, DC get certifications by auditing agencies authorizing them to process certain types of data.
Musk and his companies are leaders; leaders do not follow. Does he make mistakes? Sure. But the results speak for themselves.

So, would it be fair to state that Elon not kissing the hand of IT professionals to get things done is a indirect threat to many highly paid and likely pompus professions in the IT field?
He is definitely challenging and pushing past people's comfort levels. I might buy the biography myself, i'm curious about his early paypal years. Frankly wouldnt expect anything less after spending 44 billion dollars.

I once worked for NTT. Not surprised they've still got people who don't know their butt from a hole in the ground.

They used to have a data center manager I butted heads with a few times. Last time I looked him up, he was working as a plumber.

How the heck do you go from "data center manager" to "plumber"?
Well he probably dealt with excrement situations at NTT, and became an expert so to speak....:D

Wonderful story. Yes in the end some major issues. But Elon Musk not being held hostage by IT guys, can't help but think how much fear mongering IT professionals use to hold hostage organizations in the name of safety and security.

Elon is the man, a must read for those that are not on the IT payroll. Those on the IT fatwagon will likely cry foul.....

25 years network, server, security, currently in cybersecurity engineering ops.

It all comes down to money. It's absolutely zero problems to get things done fast if a leader makes the money available needed to get the job done. But in most large organizations there's 18 bazillion levels of bureaucracy. Ask me how I know...

Musk gets the money we need for the electrical work, trucks, odds and ends like cables, so forth, it's no problem making it happen. Heck I drive the dang truck myself, it's pretty scenic from Redding up to Eugene going through the mountains. It would be a kick too telling my kid and grandkid about that time I worked directly with the worlds richest man to get stuff done.

In fact it would be a pleasure versus dealing with the normal bull(redacted).

Anyway....

IT projects are all filthy expensive. Spend spend spend. Burn cash. Delays. Overruns.
I call IT, especially SAP and Oracle endeavors, a necessary evil. I hate SAP because all the money wasted on it will never be given to me as a bonus.

I've done 3 SAP installations and major upgrades. Multi year projects.
Sometime you might wanna read about Tesla Warp Drive ERP project. Microsoft had a meeting with then CIO Jay Vijayan, me and Microsoft professionals in Redmond to discuss architecture and programming tools.
I got thrown into the deep end at work back in '98, tasked with using SAP (which my company had recently started using) to order material for a big fibre build.

I made many mistakes, learned a lot in a hurry, and became the department go-to guy w.r.t. SAP. Before I left in 2018 I prepared how-to procedures that real people could understand.

One vendor said SAP stood for Stop All Purchases, but I grew to really appreciate how powerful it really was.

25 years network, server, security, currently in cybersecurity engineering ops.

It all comes down to money. It's absolutely zero problems to get things done fast if a leader makes the money available needed to get the job done. But in most large organizations there's 18 bazillion levels of bureaucracy. Ask me how I know...

Musk gets the money we need for the electrical work, trucks, odds and ends like cables, so forth, it's no problem making it happen. Heck I drive the dang truck myself, it's pretty scenic from Redding up to Eugene going through the mountains. It would be a kick too telling my kid and grandkid about that time I worked directly with the worlds richest man to get stuff done.

In fact it would be a pleasure versus dealing with the normal bull(redacted).

Anyway....
B2,

I'd work with you anytime....love to hear you would be up for the challenge!

A bit surprised at some of the replies.

I thought Elon as the worlds richest person rolling up his sleeves over a holiday and getting in the trenches would be a sign of who he is. Not sure many billionaires.... or any Fortune 500 CEO would roll up their sleeves and get in the trenches over a holiday to do manual labor....... or ever even during a normal week........ lots of lessons here and I think all are outstanding lessons.....

The guy has so many bad ideas that the "lieutenants" (a code word for the real people making things happen) have mechanisms to deflect them?

He handles unwelcome news so poorly, that those tasked with reporting to him can't effectively do so and have to mitigate the information flow?

Sorry, but those aren't welcome traits of an effective leader. They're traits of a sociopath.

But hey, personality cults are a real thing too, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
sociopath? the guy who is helping the war in Ukraine with Starlink. to me a real sociopath is someone who has a mega yacht build, and wanted to dismantle a bridge that is a world war 2 monument, so that his grotesque yacht can pass. fortunately, the Dutch people have mobilized against this and they won.

I once worked for NTT. Not surprised they've still got people who don't know their butt from a hole in the ground.

They used to have a data center manager I butted heads with a few times. Last time I looked him up, he was working as a plumber.

How the heck do you go from "data center manager" to "plumber"?

fixing data leaks?

• Haha
Reactions: GON
From the first paragraph it sounds like the whole crisis could have been averted by offering to pay NTT some rent in advance that he was intending to pay anyway to facilitate a planned orderly move-out. Instead he's causing headaches to the IT department for months over a relatively few dollars. And they did not complete the move-out by the end of the lease, which must have necessitated paying additional rent anyway.

helping the war in Ukraine with Starlink.
Which side though? The recent report is that he disabled Starlink to prevent Ukraine from using it to make a major attack. After taking the Pentagon's money for your product, you don't get to claim that it can't be used for military purposes.

He’s a sorry excuse for a human being and treats people like trash. No respect.
I am reminded of Canadian ex-astronaut Julie Payette. When she was selected as an astronaut- candidate in the early 1990s, I was stunned by her resume - off the top of my head, she was a triathlete, symphony musician, fighter pilot, multiple STEM degrees, etc.

Our PM ignored the previous administration's vetting process, and appointed Payette as Canada's governor-general (the Queen's representative).

Per staffers, Payette turned out to be an arrogant bully, and was eventually asked to resign. It turned out she'd previously been charged with domestic assault (against her 2nd husband) as well.

I think people that brilliant and accomplished sometimes treat the rest of us with contempt.

Musk could be a tech incarnation of William Wallace and suffer the same figurative fate. Until then BTW, (my) Tesla stock did very well today. If it continues long enough perhaps I should reinvest my profits with a vehicle purchase.

View attachment 178017
Had to google who William Wallace was..... not a nice ending for Sir Wallace.

The only risk I see for Elon Musk is if he listens to his critics. His critics can't do it themselves nor get er done, so they instead criticize him. Hopefully he doesn't ever listen to his critics. I am very unhappy with what I know he will be doing to the automotive industry, making every drive essential a subscription and payment to TSLA in the not so distant future, but am very amazed and his ability to get to yes, and get there now.

One (formally) very successful West Point graduate and one time successful businessman that was hated, but did very well was "Chainsaw" Al Dunlap. AL was a much hated businessman that most considered a exploiter. After years of success, AL began listening to his critics to improve his image, and ended up being charged with a lot of civil and maybe criminal activities in his business practices. Had he just "kept the path" and not listen to his critics, he likely would never have been involved in "cooking the books" and actions to improve his image, which was his downfall, and he fell hard.

A bit surprised at some of the replies.

I thought Elon as the worlds richest person rolling up his sleeves over a holiday and getting in the trenches would be a sign of who he is. Not sure many billionaires.... or any Fortune 500 CEO would roll up their sleeves and get in the trenches over a holiday to do manual labor....... or ever even during a normal week........ lots of lessons here and I think all are outstanding lessons.....

Rolling up sleeves to do a little bit of moving is nothing. It could have just as easily said "Elon disregards cease-action and forces IT team to ignore security compliance to move servers containing thousands of client data to save money." It's a classic example of "do what I say because I'm the boss" while ignoring the people that were hired to do that role.

Which side though? The recent report is that he disabled Starlink to prevent Ukraine from using it to make a major attack. After taking the Pentagon's money for your product, you don't get to claim that it can't be used for military purposes.
Check your sources.
The coverage was not enabled all the way to Crimea.
Musk let's Ukraine use Starlink for free, even though other companies are getting billion$ of taxpayer dollars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back