A question for Filter Gurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Folks Im looking at filters right now for my car a Napa Gold filter will cost me $6.29
and a Purolator Pure One Oil Filter is $5.88 which are they they same in quality and filtration ability? I do ALOT of short trips where oil doesnt get to temp.... 3 short trips a day atleast

I'd say either is a good filter. I think the PureOne has the edge on filtration. My PC was decent over 9k/13 months of mostly short trips with a PureOne.

The benefit would be more easily measured if you state how long you intend to keep the filter in service. I probably wouldn't spend that much on a 3m/3k type OCI. It can easily match the oil that you may be using for cost.

I believe Pure One has better filtration. Gold has a killer bypass valve setup, while Purolator's is kind of junky.

Between those two filters at those prices in your location, I personally would use the NAPA Gold in Dec, Jan, Feb (for the nice bypass) and the Pure One at other times of year.

FWIW, I just ran a Pure One for 6350 miles on my VW 1.8T. I sent a sample of the oil (API SL M1 0w40) to Blackstone for analysis. I should have the UOA in a couple of days. The UOA probably won't tell us that much about how good a filter the Pure One is, but we can pretend it does.
wink.gif

I've got a Napa Gold on the VW right now, so when I get to the end of this OCI, I can send another sample in, & we can pretend to compare filtering abilities between the two.
smile.gif

I should have did a search
smile.gif
found www.fleetfilter.com and found 51381 Oil Filter $3.03 in cases of 12 its NAPA gold filters with 5 in front of the part number!!! problem solved!
I change filters every 3k.

www.filter1.com has free shipping on orders over $50 and their prices are smilar. Mix or match it includes any filter Wix makes. Might be worth your while, might not depending on shipping. OOPS - just noticed you are from NY. Filter1 is also, so they would have to charge sales tax. Worth checking out anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back