A Few Words about 0w20 Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend that works on Honda/Acura engines and he told me that they have very tight piston clearances. That now tells me that 5W20 and 0W20 are what needs to be used in these engines, not 5W30.

My dealer for years used 5W30 in the V6's even though it calls for 5W20. They told me that 6 years ago and just the other day they are now pushing both 0 and 5W20. Wonder if using the recommend per the dealer 5W30 could in the long term caused issues with my engine. I do have a slight lower knock during hot or cold idle. Otherwise it seems to run great. Never heard of an Acura V6 having a lowend knock...

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Typically what is removed to make a 0w-xx oil may have provided better operating temp protection. But, a good oil is a good oil generalisations aside.

or they just used a basestock with a better VI and nothing was "removed"

I would imagine engine with aluminum bores would be able to run with a tighter clearance since the pistons expand at the same rate.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: bigmike
I've quit buying 5w20 and have been buying 0w20 lately. Of course, it'll take me about 2 years to go through the 5w20. I've been wondering, and I searched (and read) the threads here on 0w20, what brand preference people have for 0w20 oils? I know there's not alot of manufacturers.

I've been leaning towards Mobil and Honda 0w20. Any suggestions or comments? I don't mean to hijack the thread, so if it gets to be too much I suggest we start a new one.

I'm using Amsoil 0W20 at the moment. Redline makes it, Pennzoil makes it, good luck finding it, Valvoline IIRC makes it. Mobil 1 is all over the place with it, clearly the easiest go get.

The 0W-20 grade is as easy to get as your local Honda, Toyota or Lexus dealer, but call first as they may have to order it in for you.
The Toyota and Honda brand 0W-20's currently have a technological lead over all other 20wt oils; you need look no further.

I still tend to think that SOME engines, prefer the 10w.. vs a 5w... and a 5w.... vs a 0w...

I figure some engines have looser tolerances when they're cold, and might like a little higher viscosity oil for cusion until the metals warm up.

This makes a lot of sense to me, but I might be out to lunch. lol.

So if the manufacturer recommends 5W20 and I use 0W20 in my Honda Pilot 3.5 V-6, could the additional VIIs in the oil with the greater viscosity span lead to greater capacity for deposits? Just wondering if that's a reason to stick with a 5W20 instead of a 0W20. If that's a possibility, would a Group V oil with its higher natural VI compensate for that, or help clean off any additional deposits?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I've quit buying 5w20 and have been buying 0w20 lately. Of course, it'll take me about 2 years to go through the 5w20. I've been wondering, and I searched (and read) the threads here on 0w20, what brand preference people have for 0w20 oils? I know there's not alot of manufacturers.

I've been leaning towards Mobil and Honda 0w20. Any suggestions or comments? I don't mean to hijack the thread, so if it gets to be too much I suggest we start a new one.

I'm using Amsoil 0W20 at the moment. Redline makes it, Pennzoil makes it, good luck finding it, Valvoline IIRC makes it. Mobil 1 is all over the place with it, clearly the easiest go get.

The 0W-20 grade is as easy to get as your local Honda, Toyota or Lexus dealer, but call first as they may have to order it in for you.
The Toyota and Honda brand 0W-20's currently have a technological lead over all other 20wt oils; you need look no further.

That's an interesting statement. I would think Mobil, Amsoil, and Redline would lead the way, not necessarily in that order, but still lead the way. If the price is right buying it from Honda would be snap for me.

I checked here in NYC,the 0-20 oil at Honda is $7.22 qt. That is PS Honda in Manhasset LI. So you have to plan on paying the ammount of $7 plus dollars for a non syn. with a low TBN I would have to think this out. As always the quote could be wrong, and things be alittle better but as any change you have to think it out abit.

You're about 20 minutes away. Next time I'm on Merrick Road I'll see what South Shore Honda gets for it. If this stuff is as good as Amsoil that's about the PC price for ASM. Since it is a 0w20 it must come from a good base stock.

HI,call 516-285-4548 South Shore, I do not know if they sell any qts at all. I know PS, and Millennium in Hempstead does. The phone is 516-481 -2800 for Millennium. South Shore are straight shooters.Jason in service is really a great connection
19.gif
for any questions.

Thanks. I worked for South Shore Honda a few years back. I won't comment any more than that on the open board. I left on good terms. I will check it out next time I'm down that way.

Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
So if the manufacturer recommends 5W20 and I use 0W20 in my Honda Pilot 3.5 V-6, could the additional VIIs in the oil with the greater viscosity span lead to greater capacity for deposits? Just wondering if that's a reason to stick with a 5W20 instead of a 0W20. If that's a possibility, would a Group V oil with its higher natural VI compensate for that, or help clean off any additional deposits?

You're over thinking this.
0W-20's are formulated from better base stocks than 5W-20's to meet the 0W requirements.
In the case of Honda's own 0W-20 it an entirely different oil than their 5W-20 made by two different companies. The 0W-20 was developed for the unique lubrication requirements of hybrid engines consiquently a lot emphasis has been placed on frequent cold starts and extended running time in warm-up mode.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

That's an interesting statement. I would think Mobil, Amsoil, and Redline would lead the way, not necessarily in that order, but still lead the way. If the price is right buying it from Honda would be snap for me.

In Canada, Petro-Canada makes many of the oils for Honda and they make a good 0W-20 but it doesn't meet Honda's requirements for their 0W-20 grade which is made for Honda by Idemitsu at their Indiana plant.
The same applies with EOM (Mobil). They have made many of Honda's and Acura's oils and of course have their own 0W-20 grade but it doesn't meet Honda's reqirements either.
The main reason is it's start-up viscosity is too high.

What's special about Honda's (and Toyota's) 0W-20 oil is their very low 40C viscosity spec' of under 40 cSt in conjunction with their very high VI of 200 and 214 respectively.
Of the three brands you mentioned their stat's don't come close although Red Line is the closest.
Additionally, the AW add' pac' of the Honda and Toyota oils is very robust with both containing RL levels of moly.

Thanks for the info. If that is the case, then for ~$7/qt at the Honda dealer the oil is a no brainer. I will have to check it out, I'm pretty sure it would meet or exceed Chrysler and Ford specs as well?

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
I checked here in NYC,the 0-20 oil at Honda is $7.22 qt. That is PS Honda in Manhasset LI. So you have to plan on paying the ammount of $7 plus dollars for a non syn. with a low TBN I would have to think this out. As always the quote could be wrong, and things be alittle better but as any change you have to think it out abit.

The Honda 0W-20 is synthetic as are all 0W oils. It is a GPIII/PAO blend. Yes it is in the $7 range but the Toyota version (similar formulation)is cheaper in the $6 range.
In Canada the Toyota oil is cheaper still for some reason at $5.65/L.
If you buy by the 12 bottle case you can usually negotiate a better deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back