A Case For Not Going 10,000 Miles on an OCI

When I ran my Ford down almost to zero on the IOLM with all MC filter and oil, it was 9.3K miles. UOA said oil was OK—-barely.

I’ll go that long with full synthetic but normally about 20% on IOLM, about 8K

You need a reasonable margin of error.
Yes you can’t always rely on having time to do an oil change when it needs one.

When I was stationed in Germany (84-88) I had a German spec Porsche 944. It had an oil minder that tracked everything; Engine temp, air temp, throttle position, fuel consumption, etc, etc, etc. Then when the time came for an oil change, it would alert you of that fact. My shortest OCI was 8,000 miles while the longest was 13,000 miles. My current Audi A4 has a similar function, but it is not activated in USA. The OCI is 10,000 miles however you drive. Which is of course is stupid. It doesn't bother me since my shortest trips are 25 miles one way, But it does make me wonder about all the city Audi drivers who rarely get their engines up to operating temp.
What kind of oil did you use in that car?

I recently found that video on YouTube and watched with great interest. For me, the takeaway is that some engines are prone to ring coking issues more than others, so definitely be mindful of what engine you are running. And even if I can't find any documented issues with my engine model or family of engines, oil is cheap so stay on top of the oil services. Having said that, mine is a port injected engine in excellent health so there is no need for premature services either (as in a DI engine / soot / fuel dilution warrant shorter oil service intervals). In the end it's a balance between running the oil long enough to get good use of it, and also not running it so long as to flirt with sludge or ring coking issues. Unfortunately this means changing the oil before its life is 100% expended but that's just the way it goes. Margin of safety is a good thing. The engine is going to outlive the chassis anyway so I don't sweat it too much (y)

This is my son's N52 at 108,500 miles. The minimum OCI was 15,000 miles- using either BMW TPT 5W-30 or 0W-30:
1631671566684.jpg

... In the end it's a balance between running the oil long enough to get good use of it, and also not running it so long as to flirt with sludge or ring coking issues. Unfortunately this means changing the oil before its life is 100% expended but that's just the way it goes. ...
Do we have clear evidence that changing oil much more frequently than otherwise needed necessarily avoids ring coking in susceptible engines? That assumption keeps popping up, but I haven't seen much evidence to support it.

The one thing not discussed about long extended drains is that you don't get to check over the vehicle as often to catch trouble spots before they get worse. I fully understand today's oils go the distance but I still like to look over my vehicles at OCI time and stay on top of things. I run Mobil 1 synthetics and go about 6-7k miles. That, to me, is a good happy medium - I've extended a safe amount but not so far that I may miss catching something. The other issue with far extended drains is people don't check their oil at all between changes so by the time they get an oil change they are severely low on oil. Every GM 3.6 that comes to me for service is a quart or more low. I think for most people a 5k mile change makes sense because oil is cheaper than a motor. Now with BITOG folks, we can run 10k or more miles because we check the oil etc but by and large the population is DUMB and should not probably extend too far. So it's not that the oil can and will protect - its more that the average person will run the oil low and miss other opportunities to catch other issues before getting to far along.
YMMV

Dude obviously has a video camera, why am I seeing a bunch of pictures in a slide show - could not finish. Frankly that should be grounds for a flogging.

As for the case for no 10K OCI, I would say it is more a case of why not to buy a Toyota POS. If GM or Ford put out as many sludgers and smokers as Toyota y'all would have a lynch mob headed for Detroit but Toyota builds utter garbage and it is the greatest thing since sliced bread....

The only other one one that could probably get away with it and still have a love fest around here is Honda...

A don't get it.

/Rant
Bawahaha! I love it! A Toyota POS...Toyota builds utter garbage.

Now this^^^ is fantastic stuff. Talk about taking the extended oil change interval up to the next level - saying GM is better than a Toyota and Honda. We now have reached Santa Land...a place where elves play happily with their hammers, reindeer fly magically through the night sky, and a 350 pound man in red leggings slips easily down a chimney, All we need is the Easter bunny, where’s the darn Easter rabbit!!?? Get him over here! Get in the house, drop off a basket of peanut butter cups and screw. When’s ******* saint patty’s day? I need my drinking buddy to buy a round with his pot of gold.

Honestly, thank you for that. I’ve been constipated lately and that cleared me right out.😁😂🤔

Last edited:
Do we have clear evidence that changing oil much more frequently than otherwise needed necessarily avoids ring coking in susceptible engines? That assumption keeps popping up, but I haven't seen much evidence to support it.
Clear evidence? I mean, I don’t think weve had clear evidence on almost anything on the planet. Anything can and will be debated. It’s why right now we have the good old...you do you I’ll do me, events happening.

I can say that I’ve personally run into ring coking, and I do believe it was from extended drains, BUT, I could be wrong. It could have just been from direct injection/poor designed engine/whatever. I also think low tension rings are not helping the matter. I also think the manufacturer themselves aren’t helping things either, as they seem only concerned with the warranty period and could care less about anything longterm any longer. Can’t say I blame them there.

This guy has some pretty darn long build/repair threads. He’s an engineer of some sort. He started experiencing oil consumption at some point in this thread and improved it with shorter intervals, treatments, and higher quality oil. You have to really dig into the thread to find it. But he does document very well and he’s always talking about facts and data, not opinion.

Care Care Nut in his video channel is saying 10K on these Toyota 4 cyl engines is doing that. I don't recall if the video in the first post made that point, but he sure has said that in other videos. Some of the cars he is seeing are recent ones, using 0w16 for 10K OCIs.

Can’t extended drains (that are too long) cause varnish build up which in turn can cause sticky rings?

I drive a Prius 1.8L and what I have seen with other Prius drivers that go with the 10K miles changes is what this man is presenting in this video. Not always but most of the owners with oil burning issue have gone to 10K OCI's. Those of us that stayed at 5K are seeing less oil burning / oil loss issues. I have 100,500 miles on my 2010 and the car still uses zero oil between changes. Most of the oil burning issues I'm seeing, seem to appear near the 100K mile mark. BTW I use Toyota's 0W20 in my Prius.

Change the oil when it need to be changed - not before.
So when is that?
Depends on the Engine's state of tune and health, how its driven, and, very last, the oil and filter used.
Too frequent an oil change interval does not extend the life of the engine.

-Ken
To add to that, compensating for the manufacturers screw ups like engines that sludge or start using oil even with a very low OCI for one reason or another, there are many examples going all the way back to the Fiero and even before. Some of the more common reasons are, small sump capacity for the engine, cat to close to the oil pan (add small sump capacity to that for a real problem child), poorly designed PCV systems, VCM (some), poor design of internals like rings.

Toyota had a solution for the 3.0 ltr sludge engines, 3K OCI with synthetic oil. Personally I stay with 3-7K on synthetic oil, on the turbo engines unless it has a big sump and the cat is well away from the engine sump 3K regardless.
There are ways to tailor the OCI for your engine and how you use it and it certainly isn't a UOA but it can be time consuming and a PITA.

I fully agree it blows my mind!! Why?? Are they seriously to tight to spend the extra few bucks to change the oil??? meanwhile having enough money saved to retire years ago. Lol I have noticed the more money some of these guys have the tighter they become. There is no way I’d go 10 thousand miles let alone some going 15 thousand plus. I always keep a eye on how the oil looks at 3,000 miles and usually change it then but have went to 5,000 before In the winter because it was to cold for me. Is it the money making them want to stretch it out 15-20 thousand miles or that they just don’t like having to do it? I figure a lot of people on this forum do their own oil changes. My opinion on this is just that, my opinion and means nothing to anyone but myself. For these guys going 10 thousand plus it really doesn’t matter to them being they usually get rid of the car before 100 thousand miles anyway leaving it to us to clean er up. Lol
Modern engine oils don't have to be changed at 3k miles. Maybe 5k if you've got fuel dilution or turbocharged. I go with the more is not always better way of thinking. You paid for good oil, let it do it's job.

Back