“A Car Enthusiast’s Sports Car”

About 4 months ago, we moved to D ickson, Tennessee (yes, I’m continually and eternally amused by the fact that the forum profanity filter will not allow me to type in the name of my town 😂).

Fortunately, the move put us only about 10 miles from one of the outdoor jewels of Middle Tennessee, Montgomery Bell State Park.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montgomery_Bell_State_Park?wprov=sfti1
https://maps.apple.com/?ll=36.090000,-87.273333&q=Montgomery Bell State Park

Yesterday, while running at the park, I was surprised to turn a corner and encounter an M Coupe!

Looked to be in very good shape, with no damage. Just a bit dirty, but we’ve had some snow and ice lately.

Obviously a well-loved example.

The owner was out on the trails running or hiking. I ended up waving as he drove out.

What a great coupe. I remember reading that these handle better than the convertible versions because of the stiffer structure with having a roof.

Plenty of room for cargo back there.

I think this would make a great track car, and would be worth fixing any “issues” that cropped up. In fact, it would be a really good “do it all” sports car. As long as you don’t have kids.

I wish I would have thought to check the VIN to see what year it was.

Only mod I spotted was the aftermarket wheels.
69944D18-4EFF-4872-BE1D-E0082F6B7E98.jpeg
75241075-149D-4FAF-99FD-D8971C641D1E.jpeg
B708318D-FFBB-416A-B22A-C966DD664B36.jpeg

Love that profile!

Ive always had a real appreciation for sports cars that offer not only great performance…but also utility! And that’s what makes it a car enthusiast’s sports car!

It's a clownshoe. Those M coupes are now highly sought after. From what I remember BMW dealerships couldn't get rid of them. They also were given a 5 spd Manual transmission vs the M3's 6 speed. According to sources at BMW had the M coupe been given the 6spd manual it would have been faster than the M3 which would have upset many customers.

I've always preferred the "Touring" editions when available. The Volvo P1800 in Touring or Estate trim adds heaps of practicality.
My wife drove 2 Saab 9-5 wagons. One was an '02 Linear and the other was an '05 Aero.
Even James Bond's DB5 was later available in a touring edition. Think of all the extra bullets 007 could've carried.

Calling the OP's sighted car a "clownshoe" is wrong. The front track would have to be ~250" in order to mimic clownshow proportions.

Compared to the M3 of that era, it is ugly. But I did think they were pretty cool growing up seeing them. I'm sure driving it was a hoot.

I had a 2002 M Coupe ..a GREAT car. I had to replace the con-rod bearings as did many. I paid $38,500 for it and sold it for that same price 12 years and 68,000 miles later. The next owner will probably make money if he sells.

Aside from the E30 M3, this is my favorite BMW. Gorgeous proportions. The E46 M3 comes close too. Thanks for sharing.

As a middle-aged guy with kids...it screams I SETTLED!!! That one does not evoke ugly but sure does unique.

Back in the day, one my students at an SCCA autocross school had one of those. As I recall, it was a fun car to dodge through the cones while banging off the rev limiter :cool:

I've always preferred the "Touring" editions when available. The Volvo P1800 in Touring or Estate trim adds heaps of practicality.
My wife drove 2 Saab 9-5 wagons. One was an '02 Linear and the other was an '05 Aero.
Even James Bond's DB5 was later available in a touring edition. Think of all the extra bullets 007 could've carried.

Calling the OP's sighted car a "clownshoe" is wrong. The front track would have to be ~250" in order to mimic clownshow proportions.
Only 12 DB5 shooting brakes were ever made. The vehicle came to be because the at the time David Brown who had purchased Aston Martin, the car manufacturer, in 1947 couldn't fit his hunting gear and his favorite hunting dog in the DB5 coupé. Cheers to the dog!

It got stuck with the "clownshoe " nickname and the rest is history.

A friend just decided his garage needs one of these to join his Euro E30 M3 and others, and he is on the hunt. I remember back in the day test driving what I thought was the best driving and most awkward looking car since the Lotus Europa which I also have a twisted love for... Always liked these.

Unique looking. Earns its nickname IMO. Not something for me, since it lacks the right number of doors, but it does look rather... well unique.

Back