A/C compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
My A/C compressor turns on whenever I use defrost in my Jeep and I find it annoying. Any harm in dis-connecting the plug from the compressor for the winter time?

I'll leave it as is. It's not worth taking the chance for the check engine light to come one...I'll live with it.

Thanks all.

cool.gif
The compressor is supposed to come on with the Defrost setting. It dehumidifies the interior air and the windows will defrost much faster with it on.

That always irritated me too, The GM vehicles I have also do that. I believe they have some vehicles now that don't automatically run the compressor at defrost. My Nissans always had the comp use a seperate switch. I think that is the way they force the compressor to run (and lube) periodically for maintenance reasons..also helps dry the defrost air. I would rather have the seperate switch personally, but I also see the benefit for running the comp periodically...not everybody remembers to run it for maintenance reasons, so it doesn't bother me enough to switch it seperately myself. I imagine if you want it seperate there is probably no other tech reason to not do it..if it is out of warranty you can always check with mfgr service dept about why it is automatic on for any other reasons..

Running the a/c from time to time is important to keep the compressor shaft seal wet with lubricant. The lubricant is an important part of the sealing process. Should the seal go dry, a significant amount of refrigerant can be lost.

I too don't like the a/c going when I'm defrosting at these frigid temperatures. Does your jeep have something else besides defrost, like a bilevel setting (defrost/floor)? For the cars that do have that it's a nice feature to get away from full defrost.

Disconnecting the AC pump on some 95 and later cars can turn on the "Check Engine Light" and then you may have to pay some one to reset it.

OBD2 codes
P0530 A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0531 A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
P0532 A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Circuit Low Input
P0533 A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input
P0534 Air Conditioner Refrigerant Charge Loss

[ February 02, 2004, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Bob Woods ]

My AC wasn't connected for a few years. The defrost was also much slower, but I didn't make the mental connection. When I read about it I got everything running and had instant clear windshield.

My new Ranger came with that same annoying function of having the A/C come on everytime I switched through a different heat direction setting. If I had to go through 3 settings to get to the one I wanted the A/C would blip on and off as I went through the positions. I installed a small switch in the dash panel that was inline with the A/C clutch wire that went to the heat/AC switch. It has a Led light to tell me when A/C is selected. I turn on A/C in winter a few times to keep system active.

Another way to wire it is to bypass the stock wire altogether. Then you can have whichever vents you want open and still have AC. On a hot day I would like all of it on me, not the windshield. Some cars have this as stock.

Another way is to just leave it alone. It needs to run for effective defogging of the windows. Also running the A/C keeps the interior air more user friendly. My allergy doctor told me many years ago, always use the A/C when in the car, controls humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back