A 14.5 billion dollar bill for Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Olas
Dodging tax payments is more morally reprehensible than cheating emissions requirements.
It is the smart thing to do corrupt governments confiscate too much money as is.

EU are thieves and Europe is going downhill fast. Spend your vacation dollars in Canada, UK or Australia.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Dodging tax payments is more morally reprehensible than cheating emissions requirements.

...Many would disagree and say that being forced to pay over 30% of your income, to support programs that you often disagree with, is 'morally reprehensible'.

The system was already in place. They knew they had the choice to play by the rules or to break the rules for their own profitability at the expense of everyone else - they chose to break the rules and now they're looking at consequences.
Familiar story!

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: rshaw125

In reality Corporations do not 'pay' taxes. Yes they write a check to a country's treasury but the $ come from their customers. Econ 101.

Not everybody is an Apple customer, but everybody has to chip in if a company is dodging taxes. If the company isn't paying, their shareholders should.

This.

UK is still in the EU. They still haven't moved a muscle when it comes to actually leaving the EU.

It's a 2+ year process to leave the EU.

The system was already in place. They knew they had the choice to play by the rules or to break the rules for their own profitability at the expense of everyone else - they chose to break the rules and now they're looking at consequences.
Familiar story!

Apple already paid what Ireland required of them. They had been paying since 1980. The fact that some other entity tells them they didn't is asinine.

Last edited:
UK is still in the EU. They still haven't moved a muscle when it comes to actually leaving the EU.

I suspect a good half of the UK population hopes we delay and delay and delay until such time as we quietly accept the inescapable reality that our future prosperity is tied to the EU's. The referendum is thus transformed into a 'neverendum'!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08

It's a 2+ year process to leave the EU.

Yes, after you REQUEST to leave. Which they didn't do yet so the 2 year period hasn't started.

Yes, after you REQUEST to leave. Which they didn't do yet so the 2 year period hasn't started.

Not being versed in England's politics, the new PM is committed to Brexit and says next year:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/6...K-EU-exit-leave

The Express is a filthy, lying, right-wing rag that will only be truly happy when we have fully restored The British Empire and all her Dominions and given those vile European Johnnys a bloody nose and a lesson in good manners! In short, it's written by idiots for idiots so AVOID!

Theresa May is a canny politician. She may well be for now verbally 'committed to Brexit' but she is less rabidly Europhobic than some of her nut-job colleagues and will (I hope) not press the Red Button until the future of the country is reasonably clear (which is deffo isn't right now).

Last edited:
Familiar story!

Apple already paid what Ireland required of them. They had been paying since 1980. The fact that some other entity tells them they didn't is asinine.

This seems to be the case.

It's interesting that Apple is not accused of anything here. It’s Ireland that made these illegal subventions.

Originally Posted By: finmile
Familiar story!

This seems to be the case.

It's interesting that Apple is not accused of anything here. It’s Ireland that made these illegal subventions.

"Illegal subventions"....is that what it's called when you try to ENTICE BUSINESSES with tax breaks??
My state of NY does it all the time....and advertises about it....I didn't know they were breaking the law?

Wow....with that attitude I predict the EU will be gone even sooner than I expected....

PS: Why does the European media keep so QUIET about the exorbitant amount of RAPES committed by muslim immigrants in Sweden and Germany???

Every international corporation try to minimize tax obligation legally. Why EU Commission rule this Apple taxing with Ireland is illegal is something I don't understand and have no opinion. But saying minimizing tax obligation legally by Apple and all international corporations is worse than intentionally violating the emission laws of every country in the world is totally wrong.

Remember that VW intentionally violated the emission laws of every country in the world.

Originally Posted By: pbm

"Illegal subventions"....is that what it's called when you try to ENTICE BUSINESSES with tax breaks??
My state of NY does it all the time....and advertises about it....I didn't know they were breaking the law?

Wow....with that attitude I predict the EU will be gone even sooner than I expected....

PS: Why does the European media keep so QUIET about the exorbitant amount of RAPES committed by muslim immigrants in Sweden and Germany???

Apple does no business there. It's a head office on paper, that has all it's worldwide (except US, it seems) profits channeled there to avoid paying taxes. There's also a manufacturing facility in Ireland, that's doesn't get the same tax breaks and reportedly barely makes a profit.

The law in NY or the US isn't the law in Europe or anywhere else for that matter.

About the rapes. There's been an issue around new years day, but haven't heard anything since, except that crime rates haven't gone up in Germany last year or this year. Doesn't have anything to do with Apple or Ireland though. And it's indeed Ireland that's at fault.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Every international corporation try to minimize tax obligation legally. Why EU Commission rule this Apple taxing with Ireland is illegal is something I don't understand and have no opinion.

Didn't you have a VERY strong opinion on US car companies getting their engineering done overseas only in the last couple of weeks ?

Within the same global company ?

As you say, it's their obligation to minimise costs...

I despise the EU. They tried, against international regulations, and bilateral agreements to tax aviation emissions on American aircraft, over American airspace. The EU courts found in favor of the EU. They are as crooked as possible. They tax everything, all the time. It's beyond corrupt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back