98 honda shadow want start after sitting for 4 mth

Status
Not open for further replies.
1998 Honda Shadow 750 ace. Has been sitting for about 3 to 4 mths. I tried to start it yesterday and it would fire up but would only run for two to 5 seconds then go dead. this was on full choke. After 15 minutes of this back and forth battery went dead. Got the charger out. After another 30 minutes i finally got it to run, but only on full choke. I finally got it to run off the choke but only if giving it gas. When you let go of the gas, it would bo dead. Also, when it was running on full choke, only the back cylinder was firing, exhaust was coming out of the pipe for the front cylinder, but it was cold. It never heated up untill it I was finally able to throttle it. The front cylinder backfired a lot. I changed the plugs tonight but it has not helped. Before this time it had been sitting for a few months and was hard to start but finally picked up and ran. What could it be? Carberator, jets?

If you can - drain the float bowl(s) on the carb(s). Hopefully you have room to do this with the carb(s) on the bike. Then I'd spray some starting fluid into the air cleaner and try to start the engine. This has worked for me many times.

You also might want to siphon out the gas in the tank and pour in fresh gas. Once the bike is running it would also be a good idea to put about 5 ounces of fuel system cleaner into a full tank of gas (e.g. Techron, Regane, Sea-Foam).

You need fresh gas, dump the old stuff into your car's tank, it will dilute OK with the larger volume.

Before you store your bike, put some stabil in the tank.let it run a few minutes to get the stabil in the carbs.I know it's too late now,but next time try it.Good luck getting your bike running,hope your back in the wind with out much trouble.

Thanks everybody for the response. I will try draining the tank, put new gas in, using the starter fluid, pulling the plugs to make sure they are firing, and if none of that works it will be off to the shop.

Well, I took the gas tank off, draines it, put fresh 93 octane in and some carb cleaner additive. Drained the carbs. Used some starter fluid. Got it cranked and running off choke, but it will not idle. I ran it for about 2 hours and could not get it to idle. I turned part of my cobra pipes blue. (anybody know of anything to remove the blue). I guess I will have to take it to the shop.

I agree with all that has been said as far as steps to get her going. These things get fussy after long rests especially in the fuel delivery system. Probably going to have to do the carb rebuild and believe me you are not the first nor will be the last. Sta-bil or some other fuel stabilizer is your friend. It will keep good fuel good but remember it won't make bad fuel good so before you park it for extended periods get fresh fuel and Sta-bil in there. I'm also a big believer in a full top off in the tank to minimize condensation in the tank during the temperature fluctuations.

Thanks for the concern. I have not taken it to the shop yet. I went by the local Yamaha shop and they said it would be about 175.00 if they did not need any parts for the carb. I would take it to the local Honda shop but the Yamaha shop has a better reputation around here. One local independant Bike repair shop quoted me at about $330.00 I looked up Blue Job and and I think I will order some. Sure beats another pair of pipes. I wish I could do it myself, but it would probably cost me more in the long run. Ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back