96 GTS sea doo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I just got a 96 gts that hasn't moved in 4+ years. Any one on here have recomendations on getting it back into the game?

Charge that battery and see what it will do. There will probably be a birds next or something where the water comes out. The oil mixes with the gas so don't change it, but if there is gas still in it, I would drain it since it prob has ethanol or pour some of that stabilizer stuff in it.

There is a possibility of condensation in the oil and it eventually goes into the combustion chamber so you might want to. But for normal yearly maintenance, I don't see a reason to change the oil like you do in a car since it is a 2 stroke engine. The main thing is put on plenty of sunscreen when you get that thing running, I just had a pre cancer removed from my ear that started in 1998 when I had a SeaDoo.

Of course drain out all gas first and change the fuel filter. If you can't get it going or running right you might have to clean the screens that are in the carbs. It is hard to get at them with the engine in the hull. We take the engine out and it actually makes it easier or you could have someone do it. In one case we had to clean the screens again and finally chaged out the whole set of fuel lines to get it to run right.

I've read that the gray fuel lines (I have the gray kind)rot internally. I'm planning on replacing it tomorrow. I tried firing it up tonight and got nothing. Pulled the plugs and just had a varnished fuel smell.

I've seen a youtube video of a guy putting mobil1 80w-90 gear oil in the pump. I have no literature on this, is this the correct fluid/ weight to use?

There is nothing internally in that pump, other than a shaft, bearings and seals. Any oil will work. It's got plenty of cooling. I've used M1 gear oil in my SeaDoo's with excellent results. The pump is simply a carrier for an impeller.

The carb/s are diaphragm type and will likely need cleaning AND to have the pop off pressure set properly. (that's the most important thing you can do). It's really easy and getting it right makes a world of difference.

The fuel lines are a pain to change. Good luck.

Is the fuel shutoff valve stiff? If so, purchase a new one (new knob + screw) when you do the lines. They are cheap and having one fail is a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back