95 Grand Marquis and G-05?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well one problem that you might find eif you decide to go with G-05 is the manufacture will not necessarily list all the ingredients the AF actually has in it.

So say you get a bottle of Zerex AF that says G-05 on the front. It might not list silicate on the label, but keep in mind it doesn't list borates or nitrites either that G-05 can contain. But as long as its a reputable brand like Zerex and says G-05 and especially if it say "approved", and not just "meets" or "recommended" by one of the automakers known to use G-05, for instance M-B, Ford etc, then you are getting the real deal.

Good point about CarQuest--there's one right down the road from where I work. I forget about them because I don't normally drive that way. I'll check them out.

Finding G-05 coolant is rare. Ford will have it, but at a premium price.
Everybody sells universal stuff, and the lemming counter people are especially ignorant about coolant types.

DO NOT FLUSH WITH CHEMICALS OR SOLVENTS!!!!! If it is caked up, disconnect the heater core hoses from the engine and make a hose loop so the acid will not eat out the heater core. The gunk will actually seal the heater core should it be on its last legs. Flushing it with chemical removes this gunk, and will create a leak.

Personally there are 3 coolants to use in 1991-current Fords. Zerex G-05, Motorcraft Premium Gold, or any good old green. Watch out for green extended lifes, they are a no no.

In the 4.6L, the cooling system HAS NOT changed much to make it qualify for G-05. Heater cores, radiators, engine and water pump, as well as the hoses. So putting G-05 in it will not hurt. Putting G-05 in 80's cars with brass + copper + aluminum may not work as well as green.

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
Watch out for green extended lifes, they are a no no.

Why do you say that? Are you talking about the low silicate green coolants such as Zerex Original?

Originally Posted By: Coolant_Man
Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
Watch out for green extended lifes, they are a no no.

Why do you say that? Are you talking about the low silicate green coolants such as Zerex Original?

Sorry, meant to say green dexcool clones.

That is what I took you to mean. But what is your issue with super radiator flush and super radiator cleaner? It is a mild cleaner and as long as it all gets drained out, I only see its use as a good thing, and if there's corrosion existing in the cooling system, I see it as a necessity.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
That is what I took you to mean. But what is your issue with super radiator flush and super radiator cleaner? It is a mild cleaner and as long as it all gets drained out, I only see its use as a good thing, and if there's corrosion existing in the cooling system, I see it as a necessity.

I can only speak from my experiance and friends. I have used it, and within a few months the heater core will begin to leak. I understand it needs to be used in some cases, but heater cores are built like paper today. Just remember, on a commerical boiler system, residential boiler system, marine closed cooling system, etc the will be buildup. Removing it almost always uncovers a leak. Why? Because the buildup is covering it up.

If the heater core is for some reason not producing enough heat and is suspected to be clogged, I suggest a device be made to inject air into a water stream. While flushing backwards, inject about 3-7 psi and these air bubbles will disturb the sediment and clean the core without knocking loose the buildup. This was very successful on 2 ford taurus's I serviced.

Quote:
I can only speak from my experiance and friends. I have used it, and within a few months the heater core will begin to leak.
I have used Prestone Super radiator Flush for years and years in all types/makes of vehicles, and never had one heater core issue. It's designed primarily as a 10 minute flush but I generally run it at least 45 min. after the intial drain, with the heater wide open. I have either used it with a flushing T, back in the cast iron engine/head days. Or, now with at least 2 distilled flushes after it is drained out.

I can't speak to the Prestone Super Cleaner but the flush is basically citric acid, fairly mild IMO. But, it is optional for sure, but I feel good using it with a drain/flush series. As said, never had any heater core or any other kind of issue after using the Super Flush.

I don;t belive I ever used any particular brand of flush and quite frankly im sure its not eating the heater cores. However any solvents the dissolves the buildup may uncover the leak. Keep in mind most vehicles were 12-15 yrs old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back