95 Grand Marquis and G-05?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time for a flush and change. Is there any advantage to using G-05 over traditional green (Peak) in a 1995 Grand Marquis?

Yes it will. I'd advise flushing your car out with distilled water. If it is real dirty, you might run one of the 4-6 hour cooling system cleaners such as Prestone Super Radiator Cleaner or Zerex Radiator Super Cleaner. I like to use two bottles of it at one time.

On a side note, Peak is no longer traditional green. It's a clone of GM's Deathcool.

So the Peak Traditional Green is really not traditional green? Seems to be an odd way to label the stuff.

I haven't seen Peak traditional green on a store shelf in years. On top of that it has a shelf life of ~18 months so if you have a supply of it, it may in fact no longer be any good.

All I have seen in Prestone is the All Makes All Models junk and Deathcool.

Quote:
On a side note, Peak is no longer traditional green. It's a clone of GM's Deathcool.
That is a not a true statement Peak markets a traditional Green sold in a jug that looks similar (blue)to Peak Long Life. About a month or so back Advance Auto Parts ran a promo special on Peak Traditional Green, so yes it is made and can be found. It may take a little searching, but Peak definetely makes it. Also is NOT a dexcool or a dexclone.

To the OP, unless your syetem is really dirty, a simple Super Flush like Prestone(citric acid) will be fine. I generally follow the procedure listed here for a flush.

As for the coolant, with a flush and reasonable interval the Peak traditional green will work just fine. If you want to switch to G-05, I don't see an issue as long as you do a complete distilled flush series.

HTH

Too many "P" words today. You can see in my previous posts I mixed up Prestone and Peak. My bad.

Thanks for catching my error sayjac.

I agree. Also I believe Zerex still makes a traditional Green. I would go with Zerex Green or Zerex G-05. I was thinking of making a post on this but I think I now prefer Zerex's anti-freeze, Green, G-05 and Dexcool to Peak's and Prestone's.

Zerex is a really reputable company and manufacturer (Valvoline). They don't try to market a Dexcool as an all makes. They offer all the types, even Asian formula. And seem to divulge more about their products and don't try to hide anything.

Zerex sounds great, but I haven't seen it in the stores. Who sells it? Why is it that the good products, like Purolator filters and Zerex coolant, are not so widely available?

NAPA carries Zerex. That's how it seems to go anymore. Hardly anyone carries the better stuff anymore, just the cheaper stuff that sells better because it's a little cheaper or makes the seller more money.

Last edited:
I believe Wal-Mart probably sells more aftermarket coolant to people than anyone else. I hate Wal-Mart and here is why. Wal-Mart is the #1 retailer and the #1 grocer in the U.S. When a new Wal-Mart opens up, it generally hurts the long established businesses in the town. Now if you go into a Wal-Mart right now and go to the grocery section, you are going to see many products sold under the name "Great Value". This is Wal-Mart's store brand. They actually updated the font used for "Great Value". It use to be a funky, cursive, small, yellow logo. Now it looks I guess you would say more important; non-cursive, bigger, bolder. People are buying more of this brand not only to save money but also because they believe it is as good as the other they usually buy. So now Wal-Mart is slowly becoming its own supplier. Wal-Mart makes more money selling their store brand than selling other companies' products.

The same holds true for their store brand automotive labled "Super Tech". "Super Tech" coolant makes Wal-Mart more money than they do selling Prestone AMAM which is the same thing. It is all about money.

You preform a valuable service by shopping elsewhere.

Well I can't really say I disagree with anything you said there. The only thing I would add though is consumers deserve some or as much of the blame as Walmart does. If Walmart put a quality product on the shelf that cost a few cents more it would not sell nearly as well. A lot of consumers are penny wise and pound foolish. So it kind of affects the rest of us.

Originally Posted By: Coolant_Man
I believe Wal-Mart probably sells more aftermarket coolant to people than anyone else. I hate Wal-Mart and here is why. Wal-Mart is the #1 retailer and the #1 grocer in the U.S. When a new Wal-Mart opens up, it generally hurts the long established businesses in the town. Now if you go into a Wal-Mart right now and go to the grocery section, you are going to see many products sold under the name "Great Value". This is Wal-Mart's store brand. They actually updated the font used for "Great Value". It use to be a funky, cursive, small, yellow logo. Now it looks I guess you would say more important; non-cursive, bigger, bolder. People are buying more of this brand not only to save money but also because they believe it is as good as the other they usually buy. So now Wal-Mart is slowly becoming its own supplier. Wal-Mart makes more money selling their store brand than selling other companies' products.

The same holds true for their store brand automotive labled "Super Tech". "Super Tech" coolant makes Wal-Mart more money than they do selling Prestone AMAM which is the same thing. It is all about money.

You preform a valuable service by shopping elsewhere.

Dont punish a company for being a good one, they perform what they set out to do well. Make money.

No Walmart's customer and everyone else paying taxes does that whenever the employees go to the hospital. I'm kidding sort of
55.gif
. I am just pointing out that there are a lot of hidden costs people pay one way or another and don't realize. I think they do offer health insurance now. I don't know how affordable, available or good it is or anything.

Just for kicks today I went into my local Advance Auto to see what they have--just Prestone, Peak Green and Long Life, and the AA yellow bottle stuff, which appears to be basically the same as Prestone. No Zerex or even Peak Global. I guess I'll check NAPA, but everything there is more expensive and there are no stores that are really convenient for me. Most of them close by 5 PM too or don't open on weekends, which rules them out for me.

A few years ago our town still had a few independent auto parts places right downtown. I could actually walk to the best one around, which is now a chi chi restaurant. It was great to be able to go there and get something while in the middle of a project. They had guys who really knew their stuff, and even a machine shop in the back that could work on stuff. Now every parts store requires a fairly long drive to a mall or strip mall outside of town and nobody knows anything. Plus, a lot of the stuff they sell is [censored].

I know what you mean. NAPA tends to be more expensive than AA, AZ etc, but when it comes to anti-freeze they have a lot more choices and they were actually as cheap as anyone.

Last edited:
It will depend upon the actual independant store, but I have seen and purchased Zerex coolant products at CarQuest.
Last I checked, CarQuest's website was pretty weak for determining what the individual store carries.....but CarQuest is another name that does carry quality products.
So, check with your local store.
Personally......and it is only my own, non-professional opinion......I would stick with either Traditional Green or G-05.
A careful read of the label will tell you if it has silicates in it........if it says "Silicate Free" then it is NOT traditional Green or G-05.

Before I went looking for G-05, I did a lot of reading, at the various brand name's websites......and knew what was and was not what I wanted.

My local Napa tried to sell me a Silicate/Phosphate free as G-05, and a local Checker tried to sell me Prestone Yellow bottle as G-05.
A read of the bottles clearly says that they are NOT.
I expected a stupid answer at Checker.....but not from a counter person at Napa.

A couple years ago.....it seemed hard to find traditional Green or G-05....but I see that traditional green is easier to find now.
And the modern Traditional Green seems to not have the issues that the old stuff did, when used for the recommended service interval.

I switched my '96 3.8L windstar from traditional green to G-05.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back