94 fullsize chevy blazer 350 with 300k, what oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engine looks real clean, I just replaced the oil pan gasket and oil pump. Replaceing the valve cover gaskets.
It uses a little oil, maybe a quart in 3,000 miles.

Haven't had this truck long and guessing synthetics are out of the question. So a good dino oil, been using castrol 10w30 high mileage.
The guy I got it from didn't know if the engine had ever been changed.
Oil cap says 5w30. So basically wanting to know what would be a good 5w30 oil to use. Since shell has some good gas, I have been considering some shell oil. Quaker state, pennzoil, or something else. Kinda like some ideas..........

Just use whatever's cheapest that you still feel confident with. Do you have a CSK store down there? Might wanna get some of the Formula Shell they're having on sale right now, if it hasn't already ended.

Last edited:
At that mileage I'd be running me some 10W-40. That 5W-30 is for a brand new tight engine.

Valvoline or Exxon Superflo would be my brand choice.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Just use whatever's cheapest that you still feel confident with. Do you have a CSK store down there? Might wanna get some of the Formula Shell they're having on sale right now, if it hasn't already ended.
No clue how great shell oils are, still hear people claiming pennzoil and q-state is no no.

Might try shell or maybe some rotella. No CSK stores here. Parts stores we have are advance auto or "parts america", autozone, oreily, and federated. Then, wallmart, k-mart, and couple other stores. What's a CSK store?

BTW, all I have used in the blazer 350 is castrol and valvoline a couple times, once I tried valvoline high mileage syn-blend.

On the chevy forum guys with 270k have ran syn with no problems but I think I would be better with dino. Just whatever the preferred dino is and price doesn't matter.

It may just be some valvoline, it seems to be some good oil and might just stick with it.
I like castrol but last I read here on bitog is that it's not that good either.

Shell oils have had a bad rep for years, their gas is a top teir fuel. So fuel wise it will be the only fuel for me.

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
I vote for Valvoline Maxlife Syn Blend 10w30.
Sounds good to me.

That's boring; everyone uses that.
grin2.gif

X2 it may help your oil usage. change it every 3-4k miles

Originally Posted By: SpunBearing
No clue how great shell oils are, still hear people claiming pennzoil and q-state is no no.

Please tell us who these people are.... job titles?

Are they backyard mechanics? Car dealerships? Auto parts clerks?

Many here will tell you Shell Oil Products (Pennzoil/QS/Shell) right now are the best bang for your dollar.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Many here will tell you Shell Oil Products (Pennzoil/QS/Shell) right now are the best bang for your dollar.
My Jeep hates the Chevron oil CSK sells. It's real noisey. It likes the Green bottle QS though. Currantly have Yellow bottle Penzoil in it and it's quiet too.

My boss has a little blazer with a 4.3 and 260k on it. It had Penzoil in it untill 220k. My boss bought it and is scared of QS and Penzoil so for the last 40K it's been getting PepBoys Proline oil. Isn't that made by QS? hehe.

you could run syn in that..stay with 5-30...i would put in a high mileage oil...doesnt really matter which...10-40 would hurt mileage a little

In my 1999 Z-71 350 with 285 on the clock i run M1's 10w30 HM
oil,keeps the motor clean/no lifter noise and i take it out 5-6,000 miles no oil usage with this..

can get it at wally world for $21.xx a 5qt jug...

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
what was used prior to your taking ownership that worked for the first 300K?
No clue. He didn't tell me and didn't even think to ask.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: SpunBearing

Please tell us who these people are.... job titles?

Are they backyard mechanics? Car dealerships? Auto parts clerks?

It was on the full size chevy forum. Proble the oils past history. As I understand pennzoil and QS used parrifin wax and they no longer use it.
I was actually wanting to try some QS but was wanting opinions b4 I bought anything.

Whatever the choice, i'm gonna make it the only oil to be used. Was wanting to use the SUV QS or something. The maxlife could still be my choice. Just gonna see some more opinions and go from there.

Maxlife blend is a great product and will very likely reduce your consumption. I doubt you could do better. And it's cheap.

I like boring oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back