'91 Chevy Lumina - Cooling fans won't work. Any advice?

Have a 1991 Chevy Lumina with the 3.1 motor. Cooling fans will not kick on. I hooked wires up to both fans and they work. All fuses and relays are good. Coolant sensor was broken and I replaced that. Sensor connector is rusted so I am thinking that might be what is stopping it. Does anyone have any previous experience with this?

Have a 1991 Chevy Lumina with the 3.1 motor. Cooling fans will not kick on. I hooked wires up to both fans and they work. All fuses and relays are good. Coolant sensor was broken and I replaced that. Sensor connector is rusted so I am thinking that might be what is stopping it. Does anyone have any previous experience with this?
Start with this.

FWIW....When just sitting on the driveway, idling from a cold start, my '92 Lumina takes forever for the cooling fans to come on. The fans come on when the temp gauge reaches around the half-way tick mark.

FWIW....When just sitting on the driveway, idling from a cold start, my '92 Lumina takes forever for the cooling fans to come on. The fans come on when the temp gauge reaches around the half-way tick mark.

Mine will go to 3/4 and still not turn on. When you drive it doesn't even reach the half way mark. Everything seems to work. Just seems odd.

the reason for my question is running defrost or A/C will command the fans on.. so it would throw out any sort of sensor type issue.

A wiring diagram would be helpful to see what all inputs are used to power on the fans. Using the AC and defroster should kick the fans on as well as when the coolant temp gets over the value that it wants to see. I imagine that the ECM is also involved in the process so you might want to verify the driver output of it. Obviously, you should clean the rusted connector if you can and go from there.

If you unplug the Coolant temp sensor, the fans should default on
Have you ascertained if you have dual senders for a gauge package?
There's several part numbers and connector pigtails, some pictures of what you have would help
Do you have a temp gauge (gauge package) or just idiot lights?
Screenshot_20230420-134106.jpg

Back