85w140 in a 2.8!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: electrolover
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
these engines have no distributor but the place on the engine where it would have a distributor if it had one is still there and it is soooooo common people bringing these engines for rebuilds because of leaks there...check to see if that is where it is leaking and replace the gasket, there is one bolt that comes out and this round part with a grar on the end inside the motor will pull out sometimes it can get stuck but it will come out,, That is probably your problem also make sure when you do it everything is clean...Also i have had used high mileage oil and that slowed it down in about a hundred miles or so..

the old 2.8 has a distributor, its old school throttle body injected. maybe your thinking of the 2nd gen 60 deg v6, like the 3.1 that was cranktrigger, they had a dummy to drive the oil pump.

They made a 2.8 Multi-port gen 2. I believe that 2.8 as in the 88-90 W-bodies. The gen2 all had aluminum heads and DIS/and MPI. Gen3 was revamped to the 3100 designation and SFI. In 96 the 3100 got MAF and OBD2 of course. It was only in FWD though with the exception of the Minivans. . They had the 2.8 Throttle body and distributor not to mention 120hp.

/end random knowledge still in my head for no reason.

Last edited:
wonder how many 3000 mile OCI's with synthetic wouldn't happen if oil prices were 30 bucka a quart. I bet suddenly, the light bulb would go on in people's brains--geez...maybe I CAN go 5K on syn...duh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back