7970 or 680?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
So, the 7970 is literally 3x faster @ compute in WCG than the 5870. Incredible.

Lol well yeah, as I said the 7xxx series was designed with compute performance in mind, not to mention the faster clock speeds and everything to begin with.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
So, the 7970 is literally 3x faster @ compute in WCG than the 5870. Incredible.

Lol well yeah, as I said the 7xxx series was designed with compute performance in mind, not to mention the faster clock speeds and everything to begin with.

Yes, I know. But going by the link I posted in the other thread about the ATI card performance in BOINC, I figured about a 2-fold increase in speed, not a 3-fold increase. That's what surprised me
smile.gif

Looks like OVERK1LL will be in the lead after the team results are tallied up later this evening. Amazing performance from this new 7970.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Looks like OVERK1LL will be in the lead after the team results are tallied up later this evening. Amazing performance from this new 7970.
thumbsup2.gif

Hmmm, I may need to download a 3rd party program see if I can get a few hundred extra Mhz out of my 7850, since CCC only goes up to 1050 and it still has plenty of headroom left if the VID is anything to go by.

thumbsup2.gif

Hmmm, I may need to download a 3rd party program see if I can get a few hundred extra Mhz out of my 7850, since CCC only goes up to 1050 and it still has plenty of headroom left if the VID is anything to go by.

What does your card benchmark in BOINC?

thumbsup2.gif

Never ran the benchmark, I'll try to do that when I get home from work tonight.

thumbsup2.gif

Never ran the benchmark, I'll try to do that when I get home from work tonight.

It runs automatically, just go into the logs and the results are in there.

After a bit of tweaking using ASUS GPU Tweak I found a nice spot, stable at 1,140Mhz. that is a full 280Mhz overclock over the stock
core speed of 860. Best part? GPU temp still doesn't top 62 degrees in ambient temps of about 72f. I call that a positive result.

So how does it bench in BOINC? LOL
smile.gif

Tell me where to find the logs and I will tell you. Never looked for them before.

Open BOINC Manager, Advanced, Event Log, scroll up until you find the benchmark results. They will be near the top.

62C wrapped out? Thats incredible. The reason I have MSI Afterburner running at all is to override the factory fan profile to keep the temps down. My 6960 crashes above 90C. So I have the fan setup to run flat to 60C then ramp basically straight up to full fan at 85C. It runs about 65C under WCG load and about 70-75C gaming.

2202 GFLOPS

Weird.......

The old 5870 was 5440 GFLOPS at stock clocks.
The new 7970 was 9472 GFLOPS at stock clocks.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
62C wrapped out? Thats incredible. The reason I have MSI Afterburner running at all is to override the factory fan profile to keep the temps down. My 6960 crashes above 90C. So I have the fan setup to run flat to 60C then ramp basically straight up to full fan at 85C. It runs about 65C under WCG load and about 70-75C gaming.

The XFX Double dissipation cooler really is quite impressive. Not only is it that cool, it is still extremely quiet. Even at 100% load, between the Hyper 212+ EVO and THE XFX DD, the loudest fan in my case is still my PSU fan.

This is the one I have
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150609

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back