$7900 for a brand new car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mitsubishi is something you dont hear about too often. Same with Suzuki.

It does seem like a great deal though.

It's as basic transportation as it gets these days. Given the price cut, I don't think many people want such a car.
I wonder why aren't all the BITOG-ers on here, that always gripe about how needlessly complicated todays cars are, not jumping on this deal? I bet crickets can be heard at the Mitsu dealers.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
It's as basic transportation as it gets these days. Given the price cut, I don't think many people want such a car.
I wonder why aren't all the BITOG-ers on here, that always gripe about how needlessly complicated todays cars are, not jumping on this deal? I bet crickets can be heard at the Mitsu dealers.

Locally, those cars are selling pretty strong. They are showing up everywhere!

Unfortunately, they don't get much below $11k for a new one here in the states. I'd buy one of these instantly if they could be had for $7900 here in the US!

With that said, this BITOG'er can't wait to get one when the used ones drop just a bit lower.

That $7900 price includes $500 military rebate and $200 owner loyalty rebate, which most people won't qualify for. Plus I imagine destination charge isn't included, nor "dealer processing fee".
In central PA these vehicles are pretty popular, and are discounted very little. I do a 40 mile commute everyday, and always see at least a few on my drive. They stand out because they are really ugly and usually a terrible color. If I could get a new one for $8k, I'd be all over it as a winter driving car. The upcoming redesign looks to improve the car quite a bit, I imagine the price will go up too. I owned two Mitsubishis in the late 80's, they weren't very good cars despite Consumer Reports putting them in the same league as Honda and Toyota. Both developed serious engine problems, one at about 80k and one at 120k, despite diligent maintenance.

The cheapest Mirage showing up anywhere near me are used 2014 models going for 9900. not worth it, IMO.

Last edited:

There are a few running around out in the sticks here. The low price, good mileage, and new car warranty are the selling points. The fact that its a bit unrefined isn't a deal killer as it beats walking in the winter, or dealing with an old junk car.

My pal is a recently converted "Mitsubishi Loyalist". On his second Outlander (2011 and 2013) and loves it!

He claims they're being offered new for
I'm still so unsold on CVT's. It took the industry 60 years to get the regular automatic transmission right.

D'yaknow what I mean? Kira

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

There are a few running around out in the sticks here. The low price, good mileage, and new car warranty are the selling points. The fact that its a bit unrefined isn't a deal killer as it beats walking in the winter, or dealing with an old junk car.

It absolutely is unrefined. But it does have RKE and power windows unlike a base model Versa.

It was pretty fun to drive for what it was. The 3 cylinder engine sounded like an I6 when it wound up. And, despite beating on it during the test drive, fuel mileage never dropped below 50.

Originally Posted By: Kira
My pal is a recently converted "Mitsubishi Loyalist". On his second Outlander (2011 and 2013) and loves it!

He claims they're being offered new for
I'm still so unsold on CVT's. It took the industry 60 years to get the regular automatic transmission right.

D'yaknow what I mean? Kira

Outlander Sport? A smaller less expensive version of the Outlander. Very popular here. Excellent safety ratings, nice looking, very well equipped for the price, and excellent reliability and customer satisfaction according to CR. If I was in the market for that type of vehicle, I'd consider it.

Some of these low price leaders are just that, bait. There are models listed on websites that can not be found on the dealer lots because they are never ordered from the factory like that. They are always ordered with some extras and never in the stripped condition the website or brochure might list them. Then there's the famous pinstripes or protective paint coatings or "mag wheel" upgrades. Try finding that basic model on the dealer lot. Sometimes they exist but it's fun watching the sales person dance around them.

Cheap (very!). That price and warranty make it a great deal for some. Being 6'3, I can't buy small cars like that.

My daughter has a 2016 Fiesta sedan and my knees touch the bottom of the dash with the seat all the way back.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
Cheap (very!). That price and warranty make it a great deal for some. Being 6'3, I can't buy small cars like that.

My daughter has a 2016 Fiesta sedan and my knees touch the bottom of the dash with the seat all the way back.

The Mirage is downright cavernous compared to a Fiesta.

The only seat into which I can fit in a Fiesta is the passenger front seat. I have to struggle to climb my right leg over or around the steering wheel to drive and forget about the back seat.

I can actually fit in all 4 seats, comfortably, in the Mirage. I am 5'10''. That's with the front seat adjusted back enough for me to fit.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Some of these low price leaders are just that, bait. There are models listed on websites that can not be found on the dealer lots because they are never ordered from the factory like that. They are always ordered with some extras and never in the stripped condition the website or brochure might list them. Then there's the famous pinstripes or protective paint coatings or "mag wheel" upgrades. Try finding that basic model on the dealer lot. Sometimes they exist but it's fun watching the sales person dance around them.

There aren't any factory options on each trim level, the lowest doesn't have AC, one with AC comes with power remote locks, power windows, bluetooth radio, steering wheel radio controls.
I am surprised how light it is at 1973 lbs for a manual with AC. It also has better payload than many RAM's with 937 lbs!
So if you find a dealer with a base model in inventory, you should be able to get it for the advertised low price. Up here you can get a no AC model for $11.8 out the door, or with AC and power eqp for $13.4, all in.

Before I bought the Focus, I tried to buy a base model 2011 Versa. The one that didn't have A/C, Radio, power windows or locks. Needed a new car for work and it would have been nice to get something sub $10K.

I was laughed out of two Nissan dealers. One was a pretty stout "NO", another talked me in to trying to lease a high-end Versa.

I've noticed this, as well.

I have had my fill of small deathtrap vehicles. If i ever get into a wreck i do not want to be the crushed sardines in a can that was run over by a truck.

Most of the Mitsubishis I see on the road would be great for preventing mosquito borne illnesses as they put out a nice blue-gray fog, even when fairly new.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
I have had my fill of small deathtrap vehicles. If i ever get into a wreck i do not want to be the crushed sardines in a can that was run over by a truck.

Dont worry. The car comes with a can opener so that the EMTs can get your body out in the case of a crash with anything bigger than a bicycle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back