747 End of Production (?)

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
If this is true, Boeing as a company is dumber than I originally thought. No wonder they needed a bail out.

When did Boeing "need" a bail out ... and when have they ever taken one? Since they didn't take one, then obviously they really didn't "need" one.

Of course Boing does not need bail out.
It is called government contracts.

You mean like the KC-46 tanker contract where Boeing has eaten $ 4+ billion of cost overruns?

You mean like the KC-46 tanker contract where Boeing has eaten $ 4+ billion of cost overruns?
Are you saying Boing will not profit from KC-46?
Boeing at every corner undermined bidding process through lobbying. Now, they will eat up some cost as they cannot deliver air worthy plane for quite some time, but make no mistake, they will profit from it, they must.

Are you saying Boing will not profit from KC-46?
Boeing at every corner undermined bidding process through lobbying. Now, they will eat up some cost as they cannot deliver air worthy plane for quite some time, but make no mistake, they will profit from it, they must.

It‘s a fixed-price contract, so Boeing eats the $4+billion. The government will get the tankers it wanted and the price it judged to be fair (and roughly comparable to that bid by Airbus). Boeing bore all the execution risk and is taking the adverse consequences of execution failures. This is different from so many other DoD arrangements and hardly qualifies as a bail-out for Boeing. This is a $35 Bn contract, so Boeing’s margin has been reduced by 10% or so. I doubt they had that big a margin built into their bid given the competition, so they may indeed lose money.

It‘s a fixed-price contract, so Boeing eats the $4+billion. The government will get the tankers it wanted and the price it judged to be fair (and roughly comparable to that bid by Airbus). Boeing bore all the execution risk and is taking the adverse consequences of execution failures. This is different from so many other DoD arrangements and hardly qualifies as a bail-out for Boeing. This is a $35 Bn contract, so Boeing’s margin has been reduced by 10% or so. I doubt they had that big a margin built into their bid given the competition, so they may indeed lose money.
Do not worry, they will not lose money. They cannot, it is not politically smart.

Well there’s no denying the planes inefficiencies . Like anything else ever made it just gets superseded by newer more functional things. In its day though it was the T 🦖Rex of aircraft.

The 777 can take up the slack. About 100 fewer passenger capacity than 747 but how often is a 747 really fully loaded?
I always flew in fully loaded 747.
in 2018 I flew from FRA to DTW on LH 747 and it was miserable experience due to amount of people.
I like the plane, but bcs. of capacity I always try to avoid it. This was really good deal to make quick trip to Paris for $400 a ticket, so I was not choosy.

On one flight, with Korean airlines, from Honolulu to Seoul, I sat in the first seat of the plane. If you look at the profile, the pilot was above and behind me. I thought that was pretty cool. :cool:

Last edited:
I sit on a team that negotiates health insurance, a contract worth about $65M per year. Every single year the insurer cries about how they lose money on us. Every. Single. Year.

Yet their parent organization profits billions, very reliably, every year and has grown to one of the largest insurers in the galaxy. You'd think they're taking us on as charity work. Or accounting practices allow for some creative tellings of how the revenues and expenses shake out. Same here, I'd reckon, albeit this might be closer to true.

I know the 747-8 took a major hit When it was not delivering the promised efficiency that Boeing claimed causing several airlines to back out of there purchase agreements Boeing was able to keep some of the contracts by offering heavy discounts so I’m certain this is a huge part of the reason of loss per aircraft. The 747 is and always will be the most awesome and beautiful airplane and queen of the skies. My favorite by far, I love to watch the polar air cargo 747-8 depart from Dhl every week here in Ky at the greater Cincinnati airport. Depending what runway used a lot of times she flies right over my house at a very low altitude. I can always tell and say to the wife that’s one of the 747 while running to the door to watch.

I know the 747-8 took a major hit When it was not delivering the promised efficiency that Boeing claimed causing several airlines to back out of there purchase agreements Boeing was able to keep some of the contracts by offering heavy discounts so I’m certain this is a huge part of the reason of loss per aircraft. The 747 is and always will be the most awesome and beautiful airplane and queen of the skies. My favorite by far, I love to watch the polar air cargo 747-8 depart from Dhl every week here in Ky at the greater Cincinnati airport. Depending what runway used a lot of times she flies right over my house at a very low altitude. I can always tell and say to the wife that’s one of the 747 while running to the door to watch.

Lucky! Not many international flights into and out of Nashville. From time to time, we get to see a British Airways 777 or 787, or an Atlas 747-400, or, a FedEx MD-10/11.

Fighters are a pretty common occurrence.

Mostly it’s 737s, A320s, ERJs and CRJs.

It was a sweetheart to fly, I can tell you that. Everyone that flew a 747 loved it. Great handling airplane, easy to fly, and fast. Cruise at .86 IMN.

I love to watch the polar air cargo 747-8 depart from Dhl every week here in Ky at the greater Cincinnati airport. Depending what runway used a lot of times she flies right over my house at a very low altitude. I can always tell and say to the wife that’s one of the 747 while running to the door to watch.

Wow we're practically neighbors.... I'm just northwest of Lawrenceburg and we see 747's morning, noon and night every day. We had one fly over so low last Friday night just after sunset I thought it was going to rip the roof shingles off the house. The weather has been a bit volatile here lately with storms and whatnot but what this guy was doing this low I have no idea. Where our house is in the flight path, most of them are on approach and fairly quiet about 5000-6000 feet up, but depending on the weather we do get occasional outgoing ones flying low enough to rattle your teeth. I'm an A&P and love planes so I'm fine with that!

I was over by CVG last week right by the end of the runway in Hebron and hot as it was I decided to pull over to put the top down on the car and heard the familiar rumble behind me.... turned around and looked back and grabbed my phone and got it turned on just in time to get a great shot. I have an embarrassing number of 747 pictures on my phone. Anyone with a 747 fetish needs to spend a day at CVG, some days its nonstop all day long.

747.jpg

The 747 is a beauty , my favorite air liner, but then the 777 is a close, close second.

I have been on both the 747 and the 777 as a passenger. Both are great to be on but the 747 has more oomph at the start of the takeoff. The power is impressive. I really noticed this on a Philippines 744 that was full to capacity. At that time each passenger was allotted two 70 pound check in bags. Filipinos use boxes and they bring a lot. Even the child has two boxes. Makes check in very long though. This was back in the 90’s.

As a passenger, I've logged a fair share of time on 747s, the last probably three years ago. Also spent some time on 777s.

The 747 is a classic, but if given a choice, I'd rather fly on a 787, or some other modern aircraft if I'm going to be stuck onboard for six hours or more.

I was skeptical of the claims, but it's just a more pleasant experience. The 787 is quieter, and the cabin humidity and pressure do make a difference.

I'd also look forward to an A350, or A380 (just because). And the 777X, if Boeing doesn't screw it up.

Wow we're practically neighbors.... I'm just northwest of Lawrenceburg and we see 747's morning, noon and night every day. We had one fly over so low last Friday night just after sunset I thought it was going to rip the roof shingles off the house. The weather has been a bit volatile here lately with storms and whatnot but what this guy was doing this low I have no idea. Where our house is in the flight path, most of them are on approach and fairly quiet about 5000-6000 feet up, but depending on the weather we do get occasional outgoing ones flying low enough to rattle your teeth. I'm an A&P and love planes so I'm fine with that!

I was over by CVG last week right by the end of the runway in Hebron and hot as it was I decided to pull over to put the top down on the car and heard the familiar rumble behind me.... turned around and looked back and grabbed my phone and got it turned on just in time to get a great shot. I have an embarrassing number of 747 pictures on my phone. Anyone with a 747 fetish needs to spend a day at CVG, some days its nonstop all day long.

View attachment 26327
I also have plenty of pics of that plane. I collect some of the 1/400 airliners and just finally got 747-8 polar n853gt today after many years of trying to get this plane it weak finally made by Gemini Jets. Another company Phoenix models did N855GT a few years back and they are impossible to get your hands on. When they do pop up on ebay there over 150 bucks. The detail is amazing.

Back