74% of NASCAR using Mobil 1 R

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
I wouldn't believe for a second that a Nascar Winston Cup car would be running off the shelf Mobil 1 from Checker Auto parts in a motor spinning 9500 rpm for 4 hours.

Your right, they're all running Pennz. Long-Life 15w-40. I know a guy who knows a marketing rep. who knows a mechanic that knows a crew guy that says so...
rolleyes.gif

Guys' your all right in a way. A lot of it is marketing. You can be sure that any NASCAR/F1 oil is going to be high end. Whether it's a Redline racing oil, S2k or M1 0w-30 it's going to be top quality. Some cars might use variouls fluid as mentioned by Tooslick. Some Vettes my friend has seen have AMsoil gear fluid in them from local Chevy dealers. Off the shelf Mobil 1 is not a racing oil and can't handle that kind of abuse. The only M1 that migh would be 15w-50 bc it has a higher ZDDP level. The other grades are simply fuel efficient street oils. So this is why the 0w-30 R is making it's market debut, for those that want an oil like S2k or RL. A little late but who knows....
wink.gif

People, People!

Nowhere in that news release is the mention of a special racing Mobil 1 blend.

All it's touting is that ¾ of NASCAR teams use Mobil 1 synthetic oil. No mention of what SAE grade or that teams use a custom blend. The inference is that the oil used is based on Mobil 1 synthetic oil technology.

Do you think the "(TM)" in "SuperSyn(TM)" is a special racing SuperSyn? It indicates a Mobil trademark, just like the "(R)" in "Mobil 1(R)" indicates a registered trademark.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Buster,

These vehicles also have transmissions, diffs, power steering units and wheel bearings that need lubrication. Why don't you check and see what's being used in those?
wink.gif
Compare the specs of the Amsoil Series 2000 racing grease to the Mobil 1 synthetic grease, for example - which would you use?

The Mobil 1 greases are nothing special for sure. Even the Valvoline stuff with moly is better IMO. I'm using M1 "synthetic" 75W-90 in some thirds but I think it's a group III. I guess if it's good enough for Castrol to call a GIII lube a synthetic it's good enough for Mobil...

quote:

Originally posted by TSoA:
Mobil is the least strait-forward and shady company I can think of. I was looking to see of the ~much vaunted~ 15w-50 is even available in Europe. Maybe someone can help out cutting through that virtual brick-wall to Euro-sites, but I think it is not. 0w-40 is their only "World" oil. So much for 15w-50 being deriguor in DTM and Touring Car classes, but somehow on this side of the Pond, they ONLY get 15w-50!

M1 15W-50 is available in Europe since 2002, but seems not everywhere. I could find it only at Mobil UK site. At the same time M1 5W-50 is widely available. In limited number of countries Mobil also offers its 5W-40 version.

I tend to agree with Buster regarding the mechanic comment. Not as a whole, but there are many mechanics that dont have an idea about oils.

One Toyota "Master" mechanic: "Dont use Mobil 1!"
Me: "why?"
TMM: "That stuff will eat your seals!"
Me: "WHAT??? HOW???"
TMM: "I have seen it, it happens ALL the time!!!"

GM "Master" Mechanic: "You use Mobil 1 in your cars??? Man, I wouldn't even THHINK about using synthetic!!"
Me: "Why not?"
GMMM: "That stuff will make your engine leak!"
Me: "REALLY? How"
GMMM: "That stuff is too thin!!"
Me: "So, Mobil 1 5W-30 is thinner than say dino oil?"
GMMM: " YEP"
Me: "If it is the same weight, how is it thinner?"
GMMM: "It would be hard for an untrained person like yourself to understand!!!"
Me: Laughed as I walked off!!!

Buster,

What you don't know is if Mobil is giving their Mobil 1R away to various race teams? Or if they're selling it, is it being sold at some very low subsidized price? Teams will use any high quality product if they can get it at a good price. They really depend on the way the car is set up and the driver talents to give them an edge.

Amsoil and Redline certainly used in these events, however they don't have millions of dollars to waste to get a few decals on the side of a Winston Cup car. For years, Amsoil and Mobil 1 were the only synthetics in the US - I think Redline didn't get started until the 1980's. You would have been a fool not to use one of these products.

The diester based, Amsoil 10w-40 I started using in 1978 had a Flash Point of +470F and a pour point of
-60F. Their original 20w-50 racing oil (ARO), had even better high temp properties. Compare those to the SE/CC rated, petroleum lubes of the time and they look pretty sad.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

Blokey, Tooslick, I agree. I don't know what they do, I'm purely guessing. I've noticed the "R". Terry has said before they make special blends for racing, I believe. Regardless, George Morrison has said the 0w-30 R is the racing oil being used. It's probably comparable to S2k. It uses an advanced base stock. I'm sure whatever it is that it's good. Amsoil/Redline (especially) Redline I'm sure are very common in the racing crowd. Redline in particular seems to be the most "performance" driven oil by the way it's built. Amsoil for the most part is in the "Extended" drain market. I've talked to Aaron at Amsoil and that is what he said. They focus on the highest quality base stocks and formulate for extended drains. Thats Amsoil's nich market. While they do make two Racing oils, the S2k line, for the most part, their oils are extended drain oils. Tooslick, from what I've read regarding the 1980 10w-40 oil you mentioned, that is aparently when Amsoil was "cutting edge". Those specs. are truely impressive especially for that time period.
smile.gif

[ November 25, 2003, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

Buster,

Folks want world class synthetic lubes, but they want them @ $4.00/qt. That's simply not realistic ....I paid $5.95/qt for Amsoil back in 1978 ....It dropped to $4.95 when they switched from diester to PAO in about 1980 and has slowly increased in price since then to $5.75/qt. So compared to other consumer products, it seems like a bargin to me!

Ted

[ November 25, 2003, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

I believe that Mobil 1 is a world class synthetic lubricant. And for about $4.25/qt that saves me $9.00 per change PLUS S&H to get AMSOIL shipper PER OIL CHANGE.

I think AMSOIL is a good oil, but it is not for everyone. I was an AMSOIL dealer once, but it wasn't practical to me changing every 5k-7500 miles when Mobil 1 can easily go that long with good numbers.

Even as a dealer I got a little sick of the biased advertising that AMSOIL gave out sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back