7.62X39 for Deer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my K98's sights are adjustable out to 2,000 meters, doesn't mean its actually practical or feasible to hit anything at that range for almost all shooters outside of dumb luck.

The M43 7.62x39mm round is an intermediate round, designed close quarters out to 350-400 meters in accordance with the standard Soviet infantry assault style developed at the end of WW2 to pretty much to this day.

Last edited:
7.62X39 at 1,000M might give you a bruise or put your eye out, but thats about it.

Also, speaking of ineffective deer rounds, .223 is pretty good at wounding deer. That Im sure of too. Or they just dont know there dead.

And therein lies the rub.

Terminal Ballistics. A very controversial subject with terms like "Stopping Power" that many use, and few define.

What one uses in Combat is different from what one uses for food. Similar, yes, but different in that you want to eat the latter and in order to do so you have to recover it.

FMJ ammunition works, but not like Soft Points, like 7.62x39 bulk ammo versus Wally world .30-30 Winchester.
I'm going to bet that the Soft Point of the Winchester will provide a higher likelihood of recovery of the game animal due to the increased kinetic energy deposited within the target species.
That being said there is a considerable amount of better quality ammunition coming out in both 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 that is loaded with projectiles other than your run of the mill FMJ.
Last I checked Hornady is making ammunition in both calibers loaded with ballistic tips.
Shop around. There is a lot going on with both calibers due to the availability of inexpensive practice ammunition and related inexpensive firearms to fire said ammunition.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch
7.62X39 at 1,000M might give you a bruise or put your eye out, but thats about it.

hmm, would someone like to volunteer to stand wearing an orange helmet at 1000m while I shot my ak?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX9fKlVY270
watch the bullet go through the windshield and hit the target.
maybe a glass eye and take an ak round at 1000m ;-)

Ya reckon ?

I've been working the butts when shooters are at 900m with .308 and .223....223 would be like getting hit with a .22, they are subsonic...the .308 is still supersonic.

Even if the 7.62x39 was way worse than the above, you'd get hurt.

Originally Posted By: stockrex

hmm, would someone like to volunteer to stand wearing an orange helmet at 1000m while I shot my ak?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX9fKlVY270
watch the bullet go through the windshield and hit the target.
maybe a glass eye and take an ak round at 1000m ;-)

That was a .308

I pretty much hate that soap opera show. But yeah that's not a 7.62X39. So why does that idiot show tell us some stats? Because the show SUCKS. I think it may be a 7.62X51 (.308) which Saiga also makes. Some of the uboob posters hint that it's a 7.62X54R.

Originally Posted By: fastbear
The Cabela's scope mount for the SKS is a snap to install with instructions. Have 3 of them in use.

Bringing up a way dead thread!

But --- definitely not a snap. Bought one. The instructions read that the scope mount for the SKS should not be installed by any one other than a fully qualified gunsmith. Well figuring corporations being super cautious concerning liability and law suit stuff. I got one any way.

Well step two was getting it home and really looking it over. The instructions further state that because the SKS was manufactured in many different factories and their is no interchangeability between the different manufactors. The new reciever cover with the scope rail is made over size in length demintion, the bore is undersized in demintion. The pin hole is undersized. In short the reciever cover is incorrect in every demintion.

The instructions also explain that if the new cover is fit incorrectly the cover will not hold tight to the rifle affecting the accuracy of the scope installation.

Long story short I got it done after many hours of file test fit file some more file test fit file some more. Haven't shot the scope in yet. Frankly I think I have some little adjustments yet to do on the fitting. The bolt seems to be dragging a little.

But in short it is [censored] sure not a snap! I can't imagine it being worth paying a gun smith to install a $50 scope kit on a SKS anyway.

I have a Tech sight aperture on my SKS, I like it pretty good. It is much better than the original iron sights.
http://www.tech-sights.com/ I wish my Mosin Nagant had better scope mount options. I have a hard time hitting anything with the iron sights on it.

Also, speaking of ineffective deer rounds, .223 is pretty good at wounding deer. That Im sure of too. Or they just dont know there dead.

1000 drop -1,004.2421 Velocity 757 Energy 156fpe

This is what 150 fpe looks like.

Last edited:
Your accuracy, 5" at 75 yards is good for a SKS, which is not known for accuracy, and shooting poor ammo to boot.

However, your groups at 100 yards or greater are going to dramatically fall off, and 5" at 75 yards is not acceptable for hunting.

Thankfully, most deer shots are taken at 60 yards or less.

I would go buy an actual hunting rifle.

This^^^^^

Quote:
Your accuracy, 5" at 75 yards is good for a SKS, which is not known for accuracy, and shooting poor ammo to boot.

My Ruger Mini-30 is way better than that.
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Quote:

My Ruger Mini-30 is way better than that.
shocked.gif

Your Ruger Mini-30 is way more expensive than that,too!

Talk to a few poachers in Africa and they will tell you that they have killed everything from elephants to hyenas with ak rifles, tell them that the ak is is not accurate and does not penetrate and they will show you a truck load of rhino horns and elephant tusks and what you have been smoking ;-).

Will a 7.62X39 be adequate for deer? Yes Sir!

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Talk to a few poachers in Africa and they will tell you that they have killed everything from elephants to hyenas with ak rifles, tell them that the ak is is not accurate and does not penetrate and they will show you a truck load of rhino horns and elephant tusks and what you have been smoking ;-).

Will a 7.62X39 be adequate for deer? Yes Sir!

30 rounds of full auto will take down anything.

I killed a white tail with a Romanian Ak in 2001. One shot one kill, ran about 50 yards. I was shooting Winchester softnose IIRC, iron sights.

i have pulled pits at our 1000yd range an its right the 223 is subsnic if you have a 16 inch barrel. my 24 inch one just makes it at 1000 yds. also my 308 ar style with a 16 inch is also subsonic. my 03a3 springfield and m1a do just fine at 1000 yds. the bullet drop at 1000 yds is so much you cannot follow the trace of a 308. the bullets to use in a 308 at 1000 is the 155 palma and the 175 match king,, the 168 sierra math king seems to die out past 800 yds.

At 1000 I had my .308 Remington sps tactical with a bushnell 10x 3200 elite maxed out in elevation to hit with a 2/3 MIL holdover shooting 168 otm boattails. 7.62x39 and 5.56 are ineffective at 1000. Not even in the conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back