62 Peterbilt. What goes in this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure that the military owns both commercial and combat vehicles. For example the military may own busses used to transport troops. Even though the military uses busses I doubt that a bus would be classified as a combat vehicle. A combat vehicle used to transport troops would be an ammored personnel carrier.

So this is what causes the confusion because a mechanic in the military who works on busses would think that you can use only us a straight 40 weight oil in a 2 stroke diesel engine and if you use a multigrade you will blow up the engine. Yet a military mechanic who works on combat vehicles knows that it is perfectly acceptable to use a multigrade in a 2 stroke diesel engine. The reason for this is because combat vehicles require lubricants that operate under a wider temperature range. So a combat grade lubricant will be of higher quality than a mere commercial grade lubricant.

I'm a retired trucker and I sure remember those old 318 Detroit's
My favorite saying for them was
Much sound and fury signifying nothing.

Dad had a ole W900 KW with Silver 12V92. He used to have a Dyno sheet that said 612 HP. At the wheels. He used to keep a drive spare drive shaft strapped to the head board.

This was his heavy haul tractor to pull a low bed.

I keep giving him S*** for spitting drive lines like a rookie.

OLD school is cool!

Buzzen dozen with Twin Stick 5+4 or a CAT 15.8L 3406 or a pre emissions C-16 Cat. Backed by 18spd's are the only engines I will even consider.

That or a classic Paccar with a Hall-Scott gasser!

To stay on topic Retell T will suit you fine in that old girl.

And if your not worried about The DOT man loud pipes save lives!

Dualie, funny you mention old W900's. I'm working on a project for a friend, it's an early 70's W900 long hood with a 12v71TT and a 5+4. I put a roadranger 13 speed in place of the main box, kept the 4 speed progressive brownie. It's running 5.38's in the diffs. It'll still pull hard and go 100+ (it's not on the road yet so I don't know how fast it'll go. I don't think I'd like to take it much past 90 though).

Yes, it's straight piped, and even though it hasn't' been driven since I've inframed it, the jakes sound good! The smoke is an extra bonus (who needs a throttle delay?
driving.gif
)

Quote:

Dualie, funny you mention old W900's. I'm working on a project for a friend, it's an early 70's W900 long hood with a 12v71TT and a 5+4. I put a roadranger 13 speed in place of the main box, kept the 4 speed progressive brownie. It's running 5.38's in the diffs. It'll still pull hard and go 100+ (it's not on the road yet so I don't know how fast it'll go. I don't think I'd like to take it much past 90 though).

Yes, it's straight piped, and even though it hasn't' been driven since I've inframed it, the jakes sound good! The smoke is an extra bonus (who needs a throttle delay?
driving.gif
)

I have never seen a 12v71 although hearing of then .They are 1.5 ---8v71? turbo of not? 12cyls of Detroit 2 cycle must scream.

There supercharged to make em run. (They will not run if the supercharger isn't functioning) There turbo charged to make them run harder.

xV71 x=number of cylinders

V= cylinders are arranged in a V configuration as opposed to inline

71 = 71 Cubic inches per cylinder

so an 8V71 would be a V8 with eight separate cylinder displacing 71 cubic inches a piece.

And the 92 series were the same only displacing 92 cubic inches per cylinder.

They crazyest thing is to see one start running backwards with the exhaust coming out the air cleaners and the stacks sucking in the fresh air.

OR the sound of the rack getting stuck and one of those beasts would up well over 10,000RPM's then silence. then parts hitting the floor around you.

Always had a soft spot in my hear for A model KW's
Have you seen Elizabeth truck centers web site? They have a totally custom done up A model that's absolutely SWEET.

That and the other soft spot in my heart is for any paccar product with a Hall-Scott Gas burner.

Truck reminiscing!!!! Wheeeee!!!!

For a short time in the 80s hauled containers out of the Port of Oakland and back. Bay area only coverage.

Bosses' truck has a Detroit "Double-O 92." Double-O stands for owner/operator. That engine had some POWER!!!! No chance to take it across the mountains with a full load but on those steep short freeway on-ramps, such as the last one leading to the Oakland-Bay Bridge on the Frisco side, that truck could haul a maxed-out load up to freeway speed purdy' darn quick!!!

Great fun!!!!!!!!

Fuel mileage was lousy, though but, that's okay!!!! Boss paid for the fuel!!!!

Vroooooooooom!!!!!!!!!!!

Detroits are all my Dad would buy. The first truck I drove had a 318, they were powerless but sounded sooo Good with the jake brake. My favorite engine I ever had in a truck was a 445 Silver 92, that was a great engine. They didnt slobber oil like the 318 and they would run excellent. Not to be confused with the 435 that was out for awhile they were like hand gernades. After my Dad died we switched to Cummins N14s and Ill have to say they served us well the 460s ND 525s. This was when I lived in Pennsyvania and we hauled coal, big loads of coal, now Iam in Florida and the trucks are like 250hp, no hills I guess. I miss those Detroits.

The 12v71 were two 6v71 bolter together, same as the 16v71 were two 8v bolted together. I've herd that Detroit made a one piece 12v71 that were put together to make a 24v71 that was used in marine applications, but I've never seen one and I don't have any literature from Detroit that show this (but most of my stuff is all automotive).

2 stroke diesel had to have a blower to run, with out constant pressure they wouldn't run as the way the engine porting works they don't have the ability to pull air in by themselves. And yes, they will run backwards. The problem is the oil pump is also running backwards, not a good idea!

Although they did make some respectable power, the 92 series was not Detroit's finest hour. That engine was what put Detroit in the position they are in today. In the days of the 318 Detroit just about had the market share sewed up for automotive applications. Now, the only real Detroit engine offered is the Series 60, which holds something like 8% (not sure of that number, but it's close I think).

The 71 series was also much easier to work on and they have a very unique sound. But, if I were to buy a truck now it'd have a C15 CAT in it. All we buy at work these days are C15's and they pull good and have reliable (too reliable if ya ask me
laugh.gif
)

About 16 years ago, I was playing performance testing on our company's 25MW gas turbines.

Starter motor was a 12V (71?) detroit.

It was incredible. Push the start button, the air starter whines, the 12V would free rev a couple times, then the fluid coupling would fill, and the detroit run full throttle to spool up the turbine.

you guys are making me all misty eyed. i used to work on a lot of 53 and 71 series detroits while in the navy. i never forgot the first time a 6-71 "ran away" from me. wound up shooting co2 into the air intake to shut it down before someone got killed. blower trips wouldn't stop it, and the fuel shut-off took too long. those 6-71's sound pretty good all by themselves. the 8 and 12 v's are just awesome! i still a n-70 unit injector timing gear on my key chain as a reminder. those were the days! thanks you guys!

Well, Detroits are back. I talked to some friends in Pa and all the ones who thought I was crazy to like Detroits are all buying into the Detroit series 60 500 hp. Its the best for power, fuel and engine braking. Seems its the most popular.

Quote:

Well, Detroits are back. I talked to some friends in Pa and all the ones who thought I was crazy to like Detroits are all buying into the Detroit series 60 500 hp. Its the best for power, fuel and engine braking. Seems its the most popular.

Series 60 have been in use for quite a few years.

Almost 20 years. They're hard to beat in a class 8 truck application... unless you need more than 500hp (and very few NEED more than that).

Not the best sounding engine I've ever worked on... nor the most leak-free. But they're durable, reliable, and pretty good on fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back